Ever regret going to a concert?

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
I don't regret any shows I've been to, but I do regret being so out of it for some of them that I don't really remember much about them.

The only show I ever walked out on was a free concert by Queen in Hyde Park. A couple of tracks in we just went to the pub instead.

And I did actually fall asleep at a Frankie Miller show - nothing to do with Frankie, just me being zonked again.

Here's Frankie, filmed at around the time I slept through, doing a song written by Free's Andy Fraser.

AlfaNovember

TDPRI Member
Domes... Ugh. I recall seeing Phish at the Union College Hockey rink in early 1992. It was shockingly bad - muddy, unintelligible, echoing, unenven eq. It stood in notable contrast to other Phish gigs at the time, which sounded great; their sound guy really knew his stuff in clubs and theaters and large halls. I can only assume that the shape of the venue was the problem. Thankfully, things are looking up - In searching for the example photo, I learned that the college overhauled the venue PA system in 2019.

geeo2cddZTm7qvwgUifRZ6-1920-80.jpg.webp

Turtleneck

Tele-Holic
Ricky Nelson at Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Medusa, Ca, his lame twin sons “Nelson” opened for him and were terrible. It was a blessing when they finished. Then they set up for Ricky, but no Ricky. Finally, Gunther came out and announced that his tour bus was caught in Friday night freeway traffic. So, THEY came back on and played a few songs over. Finally, Ricky gets there, fully drunk/stoned out of his mind and attempts to do a few hits. Complete train wreck. Slurred speech, off and on “vocals.”

Neil Young at Irvine Meadows, Elvis Costello opened for him. EC was mediocre, went through the motions, pared down band, meh.

Then Neil took the stage with his “Greendale” fiasco. Lame sets, corny songs, it just couldn’t have been more hideous. People were looking at each other, like WTF? Brief intermission, he came back and did Cinnamon Girl and a couple of hits and the place erupted.

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
I don't regret any shows I've been to, but I do regret being so out of it for some of them that I don't really remember much about them.

The only show I ever walked out on was a free concert by Queen in Hyde Park. A couple of tracks in we just went to the pub instead.

And I did actually fall asleep at a Frankie Miller show - nothing to do with Frankie, just me being zonked again.

Here's Frankie, filmed at around the time I slept through, doing a song written by Free's Andy Fraser.

I had that on 45.

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
Yes, touring their new album, Drama. ****ing hated it. And I was a big Yes fan back then.

bigbean

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
Brad Paisley in front of a 22' high video screen, playing hot licks with a great band, great sound while sitting in great seats. After an hour of listening to the whole show being pulled along by the video for song after song I was ready to leave. He is an amazing player and the show was carefully rehearsed and constructed but the video was running the show. Also the pace of things was wrong and the the amazingness of the guitar facility on display wore quite thin after the first 40 minutes. It reminded me of seeing the Buddy Rich band in the 70s. Not enough humanity. James Brown trashed on PCP playing organ for 20 minutes was less painful. I would love to see Mr Paisley work in a more dynamic, less structured situation inside a small group with a featured vocalist.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
Two acts at one show I could have done without.

About ten years or so ago, a then-girlfriend surprised me with tickets to the Stockyards Music Festival in Fort Worth. There were some good acts on hand including Merle and the Strangers, the reason we went. Haggard was next to last, followed by the "headliner" Hank Williams Jr.

During the afternoon, one of the performers was David Allan Coe. He was so overweight that he sat on a chair like Jabba the Hutt the entire time, and the profanity was absolutely unbearable. I never understood using that kind of language onstage.

Hag was great; by this time his auditorium shows were pretty laid-back and introspective, but given the outdoor venue and the rowdy crowd, he and the Strangers ripped it up with a lot of his up tempo music.

Then it was time for Bocephus. I wish we had just left, but we stayed and his concert was, in a word, creepy. He was slurring, mumbling to the deceased Hank Sr. and Audrey, and playing only bits and pieces of his songs. It was jerky and disconcerting to say the least.

The only song I recall him doing in its entirety was A Country Boy Can Survive.

I was never a fan of David Allan Coe to start with, but I liked Hank Jr back around 1980 and I was sorely disappointed.

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
I won’t say I regretted it, but I saw Brit Floyd in a small auditorium about three or four months ago, and I DID regret not having ear protection. And I like music LOUD. At times it was purely painful because of the volume, and my ears rang for a solid two days afterward. I was actually worried it wouldn’t stop. And I was in the middle of the place, a little left of center. It was odd, because there were, like, old preppy ladies in the crowd and stooped old fellas that looked like they just came off the back nine, and no one seemed really bothered. I found the band needlessly loud. The upper mids and trebles were freaking astoundingly piercing. The band was very, very good, but I would not see them again without bringing along earplugs.
I went to a similarly LOUD , post-Joe Walsh James Gang concert (but no Tommy Bolin..some other guitarist with dark curly hair and a mustache playing a Flying V) and had seats about 10 rows back from the stage right loudspeakers. About blew my eardrums out and my ears were still ringing the next day. We walked to the back of the venue and watched standing from there. THAT might have been the initial cause of my tinnitus I have.

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I wouldn't say I regret it, but only because I got to see the Hooters, who were fantastic in the opening slot. Loverboy, not so much - totally going through the motions, might as well have just been singing "thanks for giving us your money suckers, but we ain't gonna work for it". Only time I left a show before the encore (Lord, I wish those weren't just automatic).

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
I saw Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler at Alpine Valley. Excellent concert, no regrets there. But there was no traffic control whatsoever in the parking area, and getting out took longer than the concert itself. This was at a time when I lived four miles from Alpine Valley. We could have walked home in less time than it took us to get out of the parking lot. Regrets. And anger. So much anger.

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
Saw them only one time, as the opener for Neil Young 😅 it was excruciating! 2/3 of the audience walked out to the lobby. Nobody expected anything like that, it was all older NY fans. The show is actually at YouTube

I was there, and I stuck it out 👇🏼

No regrets!

That’s how I saw them, too! I described them as sounding like a “very loud hive of buzzing bees” and think I was right. Their bass player did provide a small bit of fun by falling over backwards while playing her buzz “notes”. A friend attending became a huge fan and bought what must have passed for their “albums”.

Neil Young was good!

effzee

Tele-Afflicted
That’s how I saw them, too! I described them as sounding like a “very loud hive of buzzing bees” and think I was right. Their bass player did provide a small bit of fun by falling over backwards while playing her buzz “notes”. A friend attending became a huge fan and bought what must have passed for their “albums”.

Neil Young was good!
Was Social Distortion also there? They opened the show, we'd never heard of them and they were really really good, been a fan ever since 👍🏼

And Neil Young was basically Neil Young the way you want him to be, electric and loud, lot's of guitar jams.

A highlight for us were the crazy Army cadet's in the front rows, they were going absolute nuts from beginning to end!

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
Was Social Distortion also there? They opened the show, we'd never heard of them and they were really really good, been a fan ever since 👍🏼

And Neil Young was basically Neil Young the way you want him to be, electric and loud, lot's of guitar jams.

A highlight for us were the crazy Army cadet's in the front rows, they were going absolute nuts from beginning to end!
I think he had a rockabilly guy before Sonic Youth? Can remember who but he was pretty good.

It was also a Crazy Horse show and I loved it. A guitar player friend told me later that he expected like one electric & one acoustic set and was kinda disappointed. I said “Well, I kind figured that as the set consisted of multiple 10-15 foot tall “amps” as props and the lead in before Neil walked out was “The Star Spangled Banner” by Hendrix, I didn’t really expect much a nice acoustic night”!