Ever race your dog?

Cadillac_Mike

Tele-Holic
I used to be a track runner in middle school (4th tier lol) and tonight took my relatively young pitbull-black lab mix out for a walk and I'm somewhat disappointed he couldn't beat me! Maybe we gotta do a Rocky IV style montange with "There's No Easy Way Out!"

I know he's faster than me just hasnt't found the "Eye of The Tiger" yet. Should I start on Rocky III with Survivor or go straight to Rocky IV with Robert Tepper "No Easy Way Out" with the Russian log cabin montage? I feel like my dog needs to see that but should we start with Rocky 1? I'm really on the fence here, what do you guys think?

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
I have an old Lab. When he was a young Lab, any human racing him successfully would have involved an engine of some sort. Now, I suspect he can only outrun 98% of people, me included.

Lowerleftcoast

Poster Extraordinaire
All but one were way faster than me. The Havanese didn't like to exercise. She would only walk about 3/4 mile before she would give that look... "You can carry me home from here... I'm done."
She was the quintessential lap dog and would pay special attention to anyone with an illness. She would have been great as a hospital dog. I never thought I would like a lap dog but as with all dogs, she had a special place in my heart.

• Love
Reactions: BB

Buckaroo65

Tele-Afflicted
We had a little terrier who loved to run... I was in a park with her one day and clocked her at 40 Km/h. I was on my bicycle.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I used to be a track runner in middle school (4th tier lol) and tonight took my relatively young pitbull-black lab mix out for a walk and I'm somewhat disappointed he couldn't beat me! Maybe we gotta do a Rocky IV style montange with "There's No Easy Way Out!"

I know he's faster than me just hasnt't found the "Eye of The Tiger" yet. Should I start on Rocky III with Survivor or go straight to Rocky IV with Robert Tepper "No Easy Way Out" with the Russian log cabin montage? I feel like my dog needs to see that but should we start with Rocky 1? I'm really on the fence here, what do you guys think?
Be careful. Not all dogs are built or at the right ages to do some sorts of running. If they have the pack relationship with you as boss they can and will possibly run distances and speeds not good for them. If they have the right build for what you want it can be fantastic.

Be mindful of cooling and hydration. If you have a "CamelBak" type hydration pack teach the dog to drink from squirting the end. That makes carry easier and more convenient than water bottles. There are fold up portable bowls too but our current dog preferred hydration packs.

The dogs also need fitness prep like we do. Be careful if you have a dog not really getting miles and hours of activity on a regular basis.

Super important: Hot feet. A lot of dog owners don't realize how hot pavement can be. Again, the pack relationship can have a dog suffer through something and the head of the pack not know it.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Be careful. Not all dogs are built or at the right ages to do some sorts of running. If they have the pack relationship with you as boss they can and will possibly run distances and speeds not good for them. If they have the right build for what you want it can be fantastic.

Be mindful of cooling and hydration. If you have a "CamelBak" type hydration pack teach the dog to drink from squirting the end. That makes carry easier and more convenient than water bottles. There are fold up portable bowls too but our current dog preferred hydration packs.

The dogs also need fitness prep like we do. Be careful if you have a dog not really getting miles and hours of activity on a regular basis.

Super important: Hot feet. A lot of dog owners don't realize how hot pavement can be. Again, the pack relationship can have a dog suffer through something and the head of the pack not know it.
Good advice. From experience, I know it's very easy to overheat brachycephalic dogs (those with underbites and short noses, e.g., bulldogs). Our Bullmastiff is extremely athletic and can cover a ton of ground in a sprint, but I wouldn't take her on a walk of longer than a mile in 90F+ temps. Had a pretty bulky Boxer that was similar. Too much running and he'd really be panting and slobbery for a while.

On the flip side, I've seen runner friends get in over their heads with a breed they thought would be a good running companion. Coursers seem great, but many don't really like to "jog" at human speeds; running to them is 35-40mph. Other breeds/types can cover truly superhuman distances and need more than pro marathoners can give them; I'm told Ridgebacks can comfortably be run 25+ miles for 5-6 days consecutively. I'd imagine that also applies to a lot of coursers and sight hounds.

I also don't know that I'd run with a Belgian Malinois or most terriers either for behavior/prey-drive reasons even though they can also go very fast and far.

tery

Doctor of Teleocity
Racing dogs is a big deal in Alaska.

1656259991800.png

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
No, but I did help train a 15 dog sled racing team when I lived in the bush of AK....a 300 mile Aniak and back to bethel AK. UN BELIVABLE power.

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
I've got a fourteen year old lanky Lab. When he was young and got out of the yard he had such an advantage that he toyed with me - you know, let 'em almost catch up and then take off, with great glee. I learned to follow him walking and wait until he got bored.

Bob