Ever play your guitar out of guilt?

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
Do you have an expensive guitar in your collection that you play just because you paid a lot of money for it even if your favorite is a much cheaper one.
I recently bought an Ultra Telecaster because I thought it would be the best playing the best sounding guitar I would ever own.
But it isn't , it's just a really nice telecaster , I do like it a lot but it just isn't the magic I thought it would be.
Now when I play it , I feel like I am forcing myself to pick it up first to justify all the money I spent on it. Thus making it even more of a guilt trip if your favorite telecaster cost 4 times less.
Just Curious.
My solution to this was to sell the expensive guitar to someone else who found it more magical than I did. Now I have my money back and no guilt. Problem solved.

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
I hadn't picked up a guitar for about 5 weeks this morning - vacation, too busy with unexpected work, life and family stress etc. I've been really dragged down, especially this last week.

I have 8 nice guitars just sitting in their cases, and due to guilt I finally did a set up on one I bought last November that I hadn't got around to sorting out. Did the setup (at least the first steps like new strings, initial relief, action), and played for about 30 mins. Definitely lifted my spirits and cheered me up.

However I also did it purely out of guilt.

I then ate a pizza and felt guilty too as I'm on a diet, so did 1.5 hours on Zwift to alleviate it.

Did I mention I had a Catholic upbringing (now very lapsed)!! :lol::lol:

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Nope, not due to guilt.... I do wish I had more time to play all of my guitars though....
Retirement is a lot of work .... ;)
+1

All this stuff we put off until retirement. Now, we supposed have time but that time gets split up so many ways.

Some of us though we'd play all night and day, if only the bills were paid and money was coming in some way. But due to conditioning I guess, we get accustomed to playing only just so much. Beyond that and it would be "work" again, or so our strange minds might think.

Reminds me of a young friend who likes to complain about how time consuming it is to have a beautiful and vivacious girlfriend and a never ending social calendar. Doesn't sound bad, to me, but when you "have" to do something, things change I suppose.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Shame ?

Every frickin’ time.

Guilt ?

I haven’t been part of that cult in 40 years ! 🤣 🐟

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
No. To me a guitar, be it a $100.00 beater or a $3,000.00 high-ender, is just a tool to be used.
Guilt, used this way, is a wasted emotion.
I‘ve owned one $2,500.00+ guitar. While I liked it a lot it just wasn’t a guitar for me. I gave it a year, playing it frequently, before I put it in the block.
To the new owner it was the holy grail for him. As far as I knew he still owned it and was playing the snot out of it five years later

Winky

Tele-Holic
I rotate through mine fairly regularly. I like them all, but it takes a session or two to get used to one I've not played for a while. I've never seriously considered selling a guitar.