1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever own a guitar that was unsellable?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Minivan Megafun, Oct 31, 2020.

1. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

I had a Collings acoustic that I hated that nobody seemed to want to buy. Considering the love they get, I was amazed how it wasn't very good. Years later, when I put it up on consignment, it sat there for a long long time.

2. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Try $9 then.

Drew617, MilwMark and P Thought like this.
  3. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

No, but I wonder about the poor souls out there that acquired the "Esteban" guitars.

Drew617, Brian J. and Frisco 57 like this.
  4. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Well I based my price to be within the sold value range that reverb records. When the guitar was new it was priced with the AVRI line. Currently I've got it priced in what I see people asking mg for used American Standards and its still not going. Also the lower I drop the listing price it only seems to encourage even lower lowball offers. So it's not like I'm delusional and asking too much by any metric.

5. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

Right now in particular is a REALLY tough sellers market on anything. Holiday season coming, no meaningful stimulus for the millions of forced unemployed since August. Just not a lot of cash, and evidently everyones buying a ton of new guitars at the moment.

6. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Yes, apparently my 25 year old koa Taylor acoustic. They go for $1400 on reverb, but locally I get nothing but insulting lowball offers. I'm just not interested in selling remotely, shipping cross country, and having the buyer renege. Decided I'll just keep it.

Teleposer likes this.
  7. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Holic

I got software that costs 300 bucks new, and I'm selling it for 100 bucks. It's iLok so it's not cracked. But still, no takers.

I got guitars that are so cheap/bad that I wouldn't even pass them off for free to anyone, but I love them.

Most people have enough money now. They have what they want. If your particular thing does not coincide with what they want, you are out in the cold.

I just put the price of my software back up to 120 bucks, because I realised, it's not about how cheap something is, it's how much they want it.

Advertise in the right place, take your time, your sale will come. With a bit of luck.

Footsore likes this.
  8. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Holic

Some people make a whole life out of low balling.

I been buying quite a bit of studio equipment lately and I always give what they ask. I also ask how much on top for shipping.

They tell me they are so glad to deal with someone who is not trying it on. In some cases anyway.

I'll tell you now, you low ball the wrong person and they will just not sell the unit, or wait until someone like me calls.

"Hey, that's a great price. I'm sure shipping isn't included so how much do I owe you on top?"

Always goes down well.

I don't buy tat. Everything I buy is rare and I don't want to lose a sale to a low baller.

Just treat people with respect. It's amazing the dividends it pays.

I have got some serious kit from people on Reverb and Gumtree and whatnot who just got tired of playing that game.

A little bit of respect goes a long way.

But these jokers aren't in it for the gear. They are all about being mad traders who think these places are some kind of stock market where they shout in to their phones: Buy! Sell!

Their loss is my gain.

When people sell stuff at knockdown prices, it's (often) because they are old or infirm. Or because they really have no use for stuff anymore. There are serious bargains out there. I mean SERIOUS.

But you have to have respect. It's not difficult.

Low ballers maybe get ahead somehow. Maybe some really are poor and just want a particular bit of kit. But even in that case, I've met guys that would hold stuff for you. There are sob stories and there are sob stories. But sometimes, a brother will help a brother out.

Just pay what it costs. Offer to pay for postage too, or even meet them half way. You may be surprised the good will this generates. I've got rare bits of kit that people held on to, that only wanted to sell them to someone not taking the proverbial. Engage in conversation. I've bought some stuff from famous bands in the '70's like Deep Purple, all because the guy just wanted to get rid of it!

Jokers get weeded out quick. Serious players can make some deals.

9. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Took me forever to sell a Gibson LP Special DC in TV yellow, brand new cond.

Sounds like a very sought after guitar, but it was from the infamous 2015 year, that everyone hated.

I held my nerve, tho and eventually sold it for a good price. I knew SOMEONE would want it.

10. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

Big money for Harmony junk these days. They were garbage then and they still are. And, yes, you can have all the gold foil/mustache/whatever pickups. No thanks.

Chuckster, Brian J., bigbean and 2 others like this.
  11. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I've got an ES-175 with a hairline neck crack. It hasn't moved since I bought it, but it would be a tough sell.

Chuckster likes this.
  12. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Quite a few years back I sold my Guild Starfire IV because I needed the money at that time, I think I only got around $500 for it. I am still looking for that one :( It was my first really good guitar that I bought brand new. I just could not find a buyer. Now I only buy, repair, and sell for fun and I have been fortunate to do well. Sometimes you have to pull things off the market for a while.

13. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Meister

My American Strat came down with a frozen truss rod nut. Had to the pull the walnut plug to get it sorted.

Now I doubt I’d get half what is worth if I tried to sell it. Which I won’t. So, no, I guess?

14. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

I got an Esteban Camaro model that's red with grey rally stripes proudly hanging on the wall at our hot rod shop. That POS is definitely NFS!

KyAnne and Gardo like this.
  15. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

The fundamentals always work. They aren't always easy, they're just fundamental.

Marketing - prospective buyers have to know it is for sale, the more the merrier.
    Pricing - There is always a price that clears the market. Always.

Drew617 likes this.
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I took lessons from a wonderful guy who taught in a small shop on Transit Road, east side of the road, a good ways North of the crossing of NY 33. And he had a Guild Starfire and I just loved that guitar and borrowed it as often as I could. The difference between how that played, and my Harmony, was almost enough to make me shed tears.

There were those Gibsons and Gretches I suppose, but for years I would've gone the extra mile for a Starfire. Sometimes buyers and sellers just miss one another.

Drew617 and mfguitar like this.
  17. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

What was once my forever guitar seemed like it would become unsellable.
    A 51 Epiphone Zephyr Regent . I had it for almost 30 years, it was my only guitar for a few years. I might have kept it but once I got a Tele I lost all interest in it. All of my friends liked it but not enough to buy it . Eventually it did sell but it took a while

18. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Holic

I give them to friends to play.

19. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Yep I'm using transaction history.

20. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Long story...
    I had a McAlister Concert 42 style in highly figured Brazilian and Adi.
    This is a HIGH dollar guitar but I got it at a reduced price so I was able to price it reasonably.
    After a year or more I finally consigned it to a well known shop that deals exclusively with in upper end acoustics.
    Another 1.5 year passes and no sale.
    At this point I had another guitar for sale, a Martin 00-28. VERY nice guitar.
    Guy contacts me and sez he would be in Houston soon and wanted to come by and play the guitar.
    No problem. He stops by and plays the Martin.
    In passing he asked if I had anything else for sale and I mentioned the McAlister.
    Wellllll.... Turns out it was one of his dream guitars. I had the guitar shipped to him (the store was cool with this) and a favorable deal was made.
    I shortly sold the Martin at a very good price.
    You just never know.

M

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.