1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever own a guitar that was unsellable?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Minivan Megafun, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I've got one of those Telebration '75 Tele Customs and I can't seem to sell it without giving it away. I don't know why but I can't get any action on it even priced well below market value.

Anyone else ever get stuck with a guitar that just couldn't seem to find a buyer?

ping-ping-clicka and MAXXFIELD like this.
  2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I've got one that I'm worried I paid too much for and won't get what I want out of. A jaguar with a warmoth body and a fender mustang neck. I didn't know it was a warmoth body when I bought it. So it's basically a partcaster. It did come with a mastery bridge and tailpiece though. So that was worth about half what I paid for it. I want to sell but haven't gotten around to it.

I've never tried selling a guitar and failed though. Usually Ive gotten almost what I paid for it or more.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

guitars are for buying, not selling

4. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Says the guy who own 120 guitars ! ;)

5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I had a Ric 330 I hated, I took it to the local consignment shop and it hung on the wall for a year before it finally moved on.

Shortly afterwards they went out of business. I hope I didn't kill them.

Torren61 and Deathray like this.
  6. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Doesn't Chris "Izzy" Cole (Blood Pollution) play one of those to get the true Steel Dragon vibe?

7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Where are you getting your "market value?"

Reverb past transaction history and E-Bay sold listings are what you need to look at, not asking prices on unsold guitars.

So, how much are you calling "market value," and how much are you asking to make it "well below" that?

MilwMark, Torren61 and Boreas like this.
  8. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

JL_LI likes this.
  9. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I’ve had to take a major hit on some guitars before. Kind of a bummer, but live and learn. But sell it cheap enough and it’ll sell.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  10. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had a Godin LG. Great guitar but I couldn’t give it away.

dogmeat likes this.
  11. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Great buyers market on those! I’ve bought a few used over the years. Nice guitars that fly under the radar.

12. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Meister

My Squier Stagemaster is unsellable. It’s been modified and butchered until its structural soundness has been called into question. It’s been scalloped. It’s back-routed but has had a scratch guard fitted. It’s got copper foil tape covering up a spot where a chisel slipped. It has a bizarre message scratched into the back that makes it even more unsellable.

Wallaby likes this.
  13. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

Not true. I have a dynamite first act Les Paul that I cannot sell for $10. Believe my I tried. It's just that stupid gold lettering at the top that says FirstAct. Plug the d@#n thing in and it sounds as good as any Les Paul I've ever played. The neck is better than most of them too. Least of the ones I tested. The only reason I want to sell it is because I don't use it and it doesn't have a case so it just accumulated dust and a couple small dings every year.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My first electric guitar - my first guitar, really.

Brand new, mail order cherry red Harmony Rocket with a stupid, nonfunctional trem. And never mind about that neck, jeebus.

I had a chance a number of times, over the years to sell it for more and more of what I'd paid for it. But the would be buyers were so naive and just hopeless - I felt I'd have to account to The Big Man one day when I was at the Pearly Gates if I stole the money of any of these innocents.

And anyone with actual musical credentials that looked at it, usually winced and the subject changed to something besides buying and selling this guitar.

Don't listen to people who claim these were good guitars. They probably also think a DeLorean, King Midget, Bricklin or Bradley was a good car.

Finally some dame named Katrina took the guitar away - and her check bounced.

15. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

16. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

Yeah, but the two I can think of were "unsellable" because they were too crappy. Both relatively desirable guitars, one I knowingly took "as is" and one from GC that came in far worse than advertised condition, but which I eventually kept for less money. I made both playable and in fact very decent, but there were fundamental issues with the wood, neck, previous repairs that a lot of buyers might object to.

The trouble with reverb etc. Is that "as is" isn't really as-is, they can still come back if a buyer wants them to.

I did unload both eventually. Locally, with full disclosure made, very cheap. Might have broken even if I don't consider my own time and effort.

17. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

GC had been in the area for over a decade.

18. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oh, rly? :D

That's interesting, very interesting!

19. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

"Worth" is the amount it will actually be bought for, and no other number. Most guitars are overvalued by their owners and listed at unrealistic prices. I guess it's human nature for people to love and valuye their stuff way more than the cold, hard market does. This is particularly true for oddball, custom, or modded guitars, which exust to please the individual, not a mass market.

20. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

How long have you had it for sale? A year or two? I think it took me about a year to sell a guitar once.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.