1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever notice how budget minded we tdpri'ers are??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Voxcaster, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Voxcaster

Voxcaster Tele-Meister

Seriously every time somebody is wanting a new guitar someone suggests an agile or
    A classic vibe squier! I love cheaper guitars and have found since joining here that they are really quality instruments if you know the right places to look.. So thanks to all you fellow budget musicians! Show us your budget guitars I'll start with mine! Axl LP style!

Attached Files:

2. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

$89 Pawn Shop Caster

[​IMG]

3. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

well Im in
    1972 Electra for 350.00 ship and it plays great + its a vintage instrument
    [​IMG]
    thank's to the TDPRI member for telling about these model;)

4. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

Everybody likes a bargain, and money is tight for a lot of people. You get the best guitars you can for the least amount of money.

5. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Budget minded?
    I prefer cheap, thank you. <G>

All my favorite guitars were given to me over the years, and of the ones I've bought the most expensive was an Ibanez RS that I bought new way back in the 80's. And I've never paid over 500.00 for any of my amps, either. Course, I don't think anybody would be drooling over my collection, either. :lol:

Justin

6. cband7

cband7 Friend of Leo's

"Squeezing the nickle until it screams" always sounded more colorful.

The Bullet Tele thats on the way will be my only Tele (for a while) and it's not even advertised on the Squier website!

Am I getting something so cheap that even Squier is embarrassed to claim it?? :D

7. superlightweigh

superlightweigh Tele-Holic

I don't have it any more, but my first GFS (Xavier) guitar turned me on to the world of
    1. semi hollow bodies and
    2. P-90's
    and I've never looked back

8. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

Before i post, what does the postage cost?

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

All of the Squier 51s I bought (30) were under $ 100; at least 2/3rds under $ 90 and at least 1/3 at $69 plus local sales tax.

Very cool. Love them. Love fixing them up and giving them to the nephews.

But.

I think the trend has gone far enough.

I don't like having to tell myself NO when I see a guitar I like but I think if you openly spend too much money on a Guitar Board you stand a serious risk of looking like an oaf.

So guys stop posting about what they got, because they feel empathy for those who can't be buying something right now. Or just yet.

We don't actually like (IMO) cheap guitars as much as it looks like. It is just more neighborly when times are tough to post about a cheapster. Rather than rub it in that "I've" got a fancy new premium guitar and my buddies don't.

Finally, cheap meant garbage, unplayable garbage when I was young. Over the last ten years, we've reveled in this new world of cheap but playable guitars. But this trend will eventually lose momentum and guys will once again start holding out for that lifetime guitar; that prized possession they can hand down to their grandson. Just be patient; it is coming fairly soon.

10. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

My favorite cheap'un: It's a Manito (never heard of the brand name before) foto flame blue burst, set neck, decent hardware/pups/finish. Came brand new with a hardshell case for $113 shipping included. It really plays/sounds quite nice, I think it will find a home with my nephew...

[​IMG]

11. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

Boris makes some good points here when he says we may not like cheap guitars as much as it seems...Part of why they show up so much is the current economy, and part of it is "hey look, I made out like a bandit on this one!!!!)

I disagree with him maybe a bit, I don't think people should be shy to post a NGD if they have something nice....that is a great way to meet people that like similar guitars IMO....

So what was my best score on a cheap guitar? A 64 Melody Maker, single pup that belonged to the bass player from ? and the Mysterians. He traded it in for some electronics, I got it for $100. It was my fave for several years, now strung up with 13's and tuned to open G.

12. qwerty95

qwerty95 Tele-Holic

Budget... That sounds like a good idea...

13. Voxcaster

Voxcaster Tele-Meister

Where'd you find that Manito??

14. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

Don't even get me started. My newest inexpensive treasure came from
    Rondo. It's a cherry red 335 copy by SX($189). A new nut, locking tuners and strap locks and I'm in "Cream-Crossroads" Heaven! I wanted to buy another, but they haven't been available for a while. They do have them in cherry red and black in lefty though. Oh yeah, I forgot. I bought an SX candy apple red double-bound Tele w/gig bag this weekend for $109. Rondo has been my candy store for a few years now!

15. 6stringelectric

6stringelectric Tele-Meister

My favorite one is this Epiphone SG Special, which I got in exchange for some minor handyman type work I did for a guy a few months ago. (Why do Gibson/Epiphone call their cheaper models "Special" and the better ones "Standard"? I never saw the sense of that)

I would have charged him about $100, but when I told him I play guitar he offered me this. If you aren't familiar with this model, they are the very bottom-of-the-line and go for around $180 new.

I took it, planning to sell it on Ebay, but found out I liked it a lot so I kept it.

I once had a real Gibson SG, and this one compares nicely to it - as best as I can recall, anyway, that one was sold some 30 years ago.

The tuners aren't the best (too sensitive) but it does stay in tune well.

It has a bolt-on neck which I think helps to avoid that neck-heavy thing SG's are known for, since the neck goes a bit deeper into the body and has the additional weight of the neck plate and screws at the bottom.

And I actually prefer the simplicity of the single volume and tone to the dual controls that were on my old Gibson SG

[​IMG]

16. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

Ran across it on evilbay one night a few years back just as the auction was closing...

17. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

While I have a moderately priced main guitar right now, I do love my back up guitar which is a budget Ibanez Artcore and for $369 dollars paid in 2006, it's hard to beat. I thought about changing out the pickups and pots but as well as playing nicely, it sounds pretty good.

http://www.ibanez.com/HollowBodyGuitars/model-AS73

18. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

I currently own 8 store bought guitars and 2 bandsaw guitars. I never paid more than $175.00 for any of the 8 store bought guitars. Here's the latest:

[​IMG]

The 2 bandsaw guitars costed me around $300.00 each to build.

19. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I'd like to say it's just a symptom of the bad economy, but frankly, I've never kept any guitar I paid more than $400 for. Anything more than that and I start questioning how much I really need it, and if things get tough (like now) they're usually the first to go.

20. alcrpntr

alcrpntr Tele-Meister

I like these too. Recently sold on to upgrade and got exactly what I paid for it a few years back, $350. I really like the upgrade so don't regret selling it but I would have been just as happy keeping it had both guitars been in the budget.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.