Ever just feel like quitting?

PastorJay

Friend of Leo's
get a drummer. there are lots of drummers. just get one.

20 some years ago, I was fronting, singing, and playing harp for a local SoCal 4 piece band that had a "less then reliable" drummer. He was very talented. But a PITA to deal with.

(I'll be clear in saying that not only was he unreliable but both he and his wife/girlfriend [how they referred to each other depended on how they were getting along at the time] were extremely disrespectful to the other members of the band, including me. He let me know he didn't like my vocals, although I was the guy getting him gigs. To be fair, I'm not sure I'm a great blues singer.)

Sometimes I had to go pick him up, 30 miles one way. He once missed a gig, his wife/girlfriend calling at the last minute to say he wasn't coming because his truck wouldn't start.

We rocked without him. Because we had no choice. People still got up and danced because we all stepped it up.

Somehow he got a gig with a band that was touring Europe. As I said before, very talented.

When he got back, he called me and asked when WE had more gigs. I managed not to laugh.

Life is short. Working with people who are unreliable or not talented or hard to get along with is not worth it.

I've worked with a gazillion (round number) of talented drummers since then.

You'll find one. Or turn into an acoustic trio. Either is good.

Peace,
pastor Jay

Last edited:

willie45

TDPRI Member
Everyday. My band is pretty poor. Every instrument tries to outdo the others. There's endless indecision about the best approach and hardly ever a concrete idea of the best approach to any aspect of any tune. There's no co-ordination and it's impossible to stay tight and in time. All the stuff it eventually produces is pretty dire.

Sometimes I just hate the idea of working with no - talent and feel like screaming.

Honestly it really gets me down,

And I just record on my own !

hotrodkid

Tele-Afflicted
Everyday. My band is pretty poor. Every instrument tries to outdo the others. There's endless indecision about the best approach and hardly ever a concrete idea of the best approach to any aspect of any tune. There's no co-ordination and it's impossible to stay tight and in time. All the stuff it eventually produces is pretty dire.

Sometimes I just hate the idea of working with no - talent and feel like screaming.

Honestly it really gets me down,

And I just record on my own !

I think I would quit that band. Maybe I would hang in there if I didn’t take it serious, had nothing else going in and got along great with the other members. Kind of like a have a few beers make some noise with my friends on a Thursday night. Think a lot of us have been there. But yeah, in the end bad music is just bad music.

Thoughtfree

Tele-Holic
I played in sh_tty bands for years just because I could show up, play, and get paid. Really terrible musicians, but they had the "get a gig and get paid" part of the program much more together than the "music" part. Not much musical enjoyment, a lot of angst, but I made the down payment on my first house from playing with these misbegotten combos.

Attributed to Charlie Christian: There are only three reasons to play music: To have fun, to make money, or to learn something.

If your group has none of these, you may have better things to do with your time.

willie45

TDPRI Member
Actually after my flippant attempt at humour, the truth is I'd love to play with other people. Even if we weren't the best band in the world it would be so nice to have that collaborating thing going on. I haven't done it for years and I'm getting a bit too old to be lugging stuff around so it's unlikely ever to happen now

I'd say enjoy it, accept imperfections and have fun.

hotrodkid

Tele-Afflicted
Actually after my flippant attempt at humour, the truth is I'd love to play with other people. Even if we weren't the best band in the world it would be so nice to have that collaborating thing going on. I haven't done it for years and I'm getting a bit too old to be lugging stuff around so it's unlikely ever to happen now

I'd say enjoy it, accept imperfections and have fun.

I’m 54. Not old, but not young. Don’t know how many more bands I have left in me, but I can still play, pick up and carry my 50 watt amp and drive long distances in the dark. Guess I’m ok for now. I have friends that stopped gigging. They said you’ll know when it’s time to hang it up for good.