1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever just feel like quitting?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hotrodkid, Jan 24, 2021.

1. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Try the Ween route for a bit until you find the right drummer.

hotrodkid likes this.
  2. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I have a band I occasionally get frustrated with. More so when we were trying to gig. A couple of guys don't out in the effort to build chops or really learn the songs. With the pandemic in lowered my expectations. I do what I can do with what I got to work with.

For myself ...I'm happy that guitar is self-contained. Even if I'd like to have a good band sound, I can grab the acoustic and caterwaul over it it my heart's content. A drummer or bass player can't do that. So I get some satisfaction that way.

It's hard and and off night really packs a punch.

thunderbyrd and hotrodkid like this.
  3. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Get a hi hat, kick and snare, and just start doing basic beats. Before you know you'll have a drummer in the band. Maybe not Bill Ward, but, it's better than nothing.

green_henry and hotrodkid like this.
  4. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

There are about 10,000 great songs out there. Why would you slog through a song that sounds bad and you hate playing? My band (pre that which can't be named) used to learn and drop tunes all the time if they didn't sound good. Give it an honest effort, if it doesn't work, on to the next. It aint rocket science.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  5. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Chet Baker Quote: “It takes a pretty good drummer to be better than no drummer at all.”

PastorJay likes this.
  6. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

I picked up a BeatBuddy drum pedal and it is working for me and my bassist. That would be my suggestion for you. The pedal will keep time. It is easy to use. Stomp to add fills, stomp and hold for verse/chorus patterns, double stomp for outro). It sounds pretty good, and will hold the spot until you find a human drummer.

Pete Thorn Demo of the unit:

James Knox and hotrodkid like this.
  7. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

How about a clapper?

8. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Plug the other guys amp into it.

When our drummer can't make it. The bass player sits at his hit and taps his foot with on the hi hat in time. It really works for us.

hotrodkid likes this.
  9. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

Hang in there man. At least you have a band at all. I just sit home with my champ or cube/headphones and dream.

Think more of that lonely dude hangin around the closed strip mall :)

hotrodkid likes this.
  10. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

He’s on a roll.

11. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

That’s true. Now I feel like a spoiled brat!

12. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

What do you call a person who hangs around with musicians?

... A drummer! :p

hotrodkid and jays0n like this.
  13. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

Naugh, you're good. Was just not a great practice. Have a stiff drink of something good and get ready for a better next time.

Cheers!

hotrodkid likes this.
  14. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes. From time to time. And sometimes that is the right thing to do. But in a way it is like a marriage. There are moments when you can't stand it, but then the next day all is forgotten and everything is forgiven. I am very frustrated occasionally with the group I am in. But all things considered, the good far outweighs the bad, and I can deal with the parts I don't like. The grass is not always greener. (Sometimes it is.) It's hard to find bandmates, as everyone here can attest. Stick with it, think it through rationally, and don't make impulsive decisions based on emotion. But, on the other hand, if it ain't workin', life's too short to waste on a dead horse. Or something like that.

hotrodkid likes this.
  15. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

One of the bands I was in years ago was going places, key member just quit out of nowhere.

Just do what you think is right but don’t expect anything from anybody.

Oh, and don’t let any whores join the band.

hotrodkid likes this.
  16. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've quit a few bands. One because of alcohol and drug abuse was out of hand. The most talented guys in the band the bass player and drummer were a mess. The bass player is long dead, the drummer is sober now and I'm still friends with him. Another band was dominated by the keyboard player who backed out of a really good gig she got us at the last second due to lack of confidence. I lost my patience, neither exit was very smooth. I've made amends. I just remembered, I quit the first band I mentioned twice. The first time it was because I couldn't get along with another member. They fired him to get me back.

It's now 11 months since I've seen my current band mates who I've played with for 10 years. I miss them terribly. I don't know if we'll ever get back together.

hotrodkid and 1955 like this.
  17. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

maybe it's time for a drum machine to make its appearance? Big Black played for years with a drum machine, ever since garage/punk, it's been o.k. give it a try. chin up matey, thing could be more challenging, UXA had the van with all their gear nicked once upon a time.
    Just imagine what the rehearsals sounded like.

hotrodkid and jays0n like this.
  18. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Short answer: yes. But not for the reasons you're describing. I'm no prude, but we had a couple guys who were consistently pausing for "smoke" breaks. "Medicinal" smoke. While the other 3 of us stood around waiting. Shame of it is, the one guy was an excellent musician, on both bass and drums.
    The other guitar player reached the end of his rope first. Shortly thereafter, we had a keys guy come in and jam, and afterwards, he gave me a call and said if I was interested in starting a different band, he was in, but he had no interest in playing with those guys. That pretty much sealed a decision I had already been mulling.
    Current band? Never considered quitting. We each may have a really off night at practice, or sometimes all of us, but we still enjoy getting together to play too much to even consider quitting.
    Hang in there - it will get better, an off night shouldn't drag you down. And you'll eventually find a drummer.

hotrodkid likes this.
  19. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

hotrodkid likes this.
  20. keithb7

keithb7 Poster Extraordinaire

Sometimes...Band can be a PITA. I think maybe a 2-3 year break for a personal reset may be in order. I dunno. Some days I get tired of it. Other days I look forward to it.

hotrodkid likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.