1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever just feel like quitting?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hotrodkid, Jan 24, 2021.

1. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

It’s funny you say that. On a few songs we all took our fair share of mistakes. At one point it was turning into a dentist chair moment. You know when you think to yourself, when the heck will he stop with that darn drill!

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

don't stop him, he's on a roll.

3. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

That’s a tough blow. Sorry to hear. But if you can make music with less members that’s the way to roll. The less moving parts, all the better.

ce24 likes this.
  4. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

We had a drummer who liked to party a lot & often didn't show up to Sunday practice (Sunday being the only day that no one would have to work). Of course he would also miss Friday night jams and or Saturday jams too. We tried to come up with one (same day a week) that would fit his "schedule". Funny thing was he had health issues that prevented him from being able to work. This A. meant he didn't have a schedule & B. made him live everyday like it might be his last, so he was certainly spontaneous when it came to party time.

Anyway, we would work on song structures & harmonies, pick new songs & generally just hang out to be not at home or work.

When we finally fired that guy & got another drummer we sort of knew what we were doing and were not bad at harmonies. Plus not having drummer for a while makes everyone really have to focus on timing & changes instead of relying so heavily on the drummer & now everything is so easy.

It sucks, but what doesn't kill you will hopefully try again. No wait..........make you stronger.

That's the one I want here. Lol.

5. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I occasionally feel this way. Driving home, at 2am, through thick fog or over sheet ice- or maybe after making some stupid mistake on stage (which no-one cares about, except me). I once left all the heavy gear in the car, for three days.

I'm usually looking forward to the next gig, by the next afternoon.

DonM, hotrodkid and nojazzhere like this.
  6. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

We definitely are our biggest critics.

I recall listening to recording segments of our rehearsals (singer sometimes likes to iPhone record) and thinking that sounds really good. But at the time of playing it I was cringing thinking to myself I hope she deletes that!

Flat6Driver likes this.
  7. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I have a few recordings from when I started out. Now 30 years later it's fun once in a while to hear them. It doesn't even feel like it registers as me. Just some kids goofing around (even though it was serious stuff at the time).

I also have some from my first band's gigs and same thing. Fun to listen to.

hotrodkid and srblue5 like this.
  8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Try to find a drummer around Podunk Minnesota sometime! There are actually quit a few BUT. . . .
    No car or driver's license.
    No drums.
    Drinks too much.
    Drugs too much.
    Talks too much.
    Jail work release hours don't work out.
    Can't enter an establishment that sells alcohol.
    Then once you get past the personal issues, there's the playing to consider. Get one that can actually keep time and play decently and find out his only volume is Kieth Moon.

Don't even get me started on bass players. :)

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

or program your tunes and go robo.

either 'have the character' or 'have the machine'

hotrodkid and BobbyZ like this.
  10. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

You could always learn to make watches.

hotrodkid likes this.
  11. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I always figure that the rehearsal cycle is like a rollercoaster. If last rehearsal was awesome, I expect there will be some painful moments in this one (possibly simply from remembering how awesome last rehearsal was...). Figuring on having ups and downs helps me get through the downers that much more easily. It's all growing pains and I see our getting through the tough ones makes us a better band.

hotrodkid likes this.
  12. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

Forget it, he's rolling....

hotrodkid likes this.
  13. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

We as a band have been on a break due to the pandemic. It's been good time to work on some new tunes, get better acquainted with some newer gear, work on some other musical projects, record something on your own etc. So try something else. It might give you a fresh perspective on the band.

When out drummer hasn't been able to come to rehearsals, we sometimes play acoustic. One can take up percussions, other one plays accordeon intead of electric keyboard and so on. Might come handy sometimes, although we haven't played any acoustic gigs yht, but maybe one day.

hotrodkid likes this.
  14. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Whenever I have a really good gig or rehearsal that fires the joy and adrenaline I'll drive home plotting what new gear I should get and imagining playing Wembley Stadium.

If it's a bad night I drive home calculating how much my stupid guitars are worth on the secondhand market and whether or not I really want to waste my weekends like this.

Music is an emotionally related pastime and emotions are right now. It's difficult to think outside that moment and remember what it's like when you feel differently.

Playing without a drummer is difficult but opens possibilities. I've been in a guitar/bass/singer 3 piece and it's a challenge. The bass player in particular struggled, but I think it was because he had a set notion of 'how it's supposed to sound' which included a drummer....so he saw the situation as a band with something missing. He'd try to keep playing as though the drummer was still there, and just play louder to fill the hole, so to speak. That somehow made it sound like a band with something missing.
    My point of view was to imagine each song as being brand new and written for us with the musicians and instruments we've got and to play accordingly. This is what our favorite bands like the Beatles and Deep Purple or whoever did...they used who and what they had as as well as they could and adapted the music to it.
    Sometimes we found that a particular song doesn't work for our drummerless arrangement, but there was still lots that did.

The idea of our 3 piece was to be able to play small venues where quiet music in the corner was wanted. I thought it worked well, and we had lots of compliments, but over and over the bassist would try to add a drummer or percussionist of some sort...just to 'have him available'....and who then became part of the band so they had to come along....which meant not being able to do those small gigs without feelings being hurt....which meant being a full loud band again with limited venue options.

So I understand how you feel.

Flat6Driver, Alex_C and hotrodkid like this.
  15. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

No

16. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

Actually, I’m taking an interest in building steel girder bridges. Or, possibly becoming a gynecologist.

17. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Meister

The Japanese bombed Pearl Bailey.

18. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

Good post. I just recently loaded up a PT Nova 24 with all new pedals and this was the first rehearsal I’ve brought it to. Other than having the wrong OD on for one of the songs it was was smooth sailing so I can’t blame the gear. I wasn’t going to bring pedalboard as it’s way overkill for a drummer less rehearsal. But I need to familiarize myself with it and to be honest having a short delay, two different reverbs and a touch of chorus on really filled some space.

It’s funny you mentioned your bass player struggling without a percussionist. Ours is too. His timing is off (slightly fast) and he’s trying to fill the void, not with added volume, but by adding more notes. He’s actually a good bassist but has not played without a full band in a long time. Plus when something is lacking the natural instinct is to make it sound better. I find my strumming is slightly different without drums so...

19. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Well you know the old joke about knowing it's a bass player at the door....because he can't find the key and doesn't know when to come in.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    donrichfan and hotrodkid like this.
  20. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

No.

I'm still in the game...

(till they toss me out)

hotrodkid likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.