1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever just feel like quitting?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hotrodkid, Jan 24, 2021.

1. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

A band that is. I’m kind of joking around but not really! Leaving band rehearsal today I was so down, deflated and critical on how we sounded that when I arrived home unloading my gear was just like salt on the wounds.

Our band is currently looking for a new drummer. However in the meantime we’ve decided to carry on with just guitar, bass and vocals. I play guitar and some of the songs are just absolutely brutal to play without drums in the mix. But we march on. Today in particular we were all tired. It just wasn’t happening and it was disheartening to say the least. The only bright spot was we rehearse at a strip mall and some lonely looking dude who was passing by peeked in the window and gave us a thumbs up. LOL!

Anyways, hopefully tomorrow I feel recharged and get motivated again because we’ve also been adding new songs during this time of rebuilding so I have some work to do. Any band stories to share? I need some encouragement and maybe a good laugh. Surely it’s not just me and others can relate too?

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Del Paxton tells you all you ever need to know.

3. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

First, don't say anything insulting or hurtful. Then take a week or two off.

If it's meant to be, it'll come back together. If not, there's another opportunity waiting for you

mojek, Tonetele, SparkleFart and 4 others like this.
  4. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

one off day shouldnt make you think its over

was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor

heck no!

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

If it's "just" a rehearsal.....don't sweat it. Sometimes it's nice to work out the "music" parts without a drummer pounding away in your ears.....it's an opportunity to actually HEAR the subtleties of the music, and then when a drummer does step in, you guys are better prepared.
    This is all assuming the other guys themselves are worth playing with.....;)

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

get a drummer. there are lots of drummers. just get one.

thunderbyrd, hotrodkid and kookaburra like this.
  7. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

If you guys were all tired and this is a rare occurrence of feeling this way, I would say keep going -- it's probably just an off day/night and not a sign of things to come. You may feel differently the next time you get together (especially if you take a little time off from each other). The pandemic/lockdown is really impacting everybody's mental health. Maybe the next time you get together, you'll realize how much you missed playing together and the enthusiasm will increase again.

If there are other band issues (notwithstanding the lack of a drummer), then maybe think it over and decide if you can work through the issues or if it's past the point of no-return.

I've felt the way you are feeling a few times with my main band over the years, particularly when we go through long periods without gigs since the bassist and, to a lesser extent, drummer rarely attend rehearsals then and things feel listless. Still, the rest of the band and I try to soldier on and keep refining our existing repertoire while adding new covers and writing new songs. Every time we get together to do a gig (and yes, it has been a while so I'm definitely feeling the bite), I'm reminded of how lucky I am to play with those guys.

I'm in the process of deciding whether I should quit my secondary band since egos have ballooned since the pandemic hit and we turned into a studio/YouTube project but that's another story entirely.

nojazzhere and hotrodkid like this.
  8. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Our drummer just quit today. No band issues he's just starting a new business....no time. Im 70 so this was my last full band.... Our bass and other guitar might do a trio.... But that is a lot easier than a full band in lotta ways...... If there are no other issues give it time not all practices are good.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Drummers are really important.
    Choose your new one carefully.
    Don’t get discouraged, it’s a marathon, not a sprint.
    Bands are like families, and families change.
    Ride it out.

10. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like you are just a good drummer away from being happy...stick with it.

11. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

Actually we get along great so that’s never an issue. No egos and the three of us are pretty flexible with ideas, song choice, structure, endings, etc. Always a band decision. Although we always leave the final word the lead vocalist. Her vocals are the heart & soul of the band. We always stay in her range as no one song in a sea of many is that important.

Alex_C and nojazzhere like this.
  12. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

That's nice.

hotrodkid and Joshiquad like this.
  13. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

We’re currently searching for one. Down here in Florida, especially where we are, they are sort of hard to land believe it or not. But we’re confident we’ll get someone soon. We have our own private rehearsal space and that’s always been half the battle.

Alex_C, dan1952 and nojazzhere like this.
  14. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

Yes! Especially in a three piece band!

15. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

Nobody in the audience cares about how good you are, they just want to hear something that pleases them in the moment. If you can play a 1-4-5 county song on acoustic and sing you'll get the same reception as a 5 piece cover band playing Deep Purple and nailing it.

Buzzgrowl, Commodore 64, ce24 and 3 others like this.
  16. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

That was the Japanese, not the Germans......

mojek, Alex_C, Fuelish and 4 others like this.
  17. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

Yea and thanks. Just chalking it up as a bad day. I mean, I still have enough passion for music to be on this forum right now talking with all you other musicians. Music is much more than just getting excited over new gear. But we know that.

18. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

you know what, HRK? this rehearsal might be one of the most important ones you guys ever have. you were dispirited, tired, not feeling it and doing difficult material. you just gained strength by pushing through. i say don't give up. a drummer will appear and the inspiration will return.

nojazzhere and hotrodkid like this.
  19. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

you've never seen animal house, have you?

20. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

forget it hes rolling

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.