1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever heard of a 1965 Fender Telecaster "Kit" Guitar?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Dismalhead, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Hi all,

I was at a fellow musician's house this past weekend and he pulled out what was supposed to be a 1965 Fender Telecaster (original, not a reissue) that had arrived at the original owner's house in the form of a kit that he had to assemble himself. It felt great, there is nothing that doesn't feel "vintage" about it, and I was drooling the whole time and couldn't believe what I was holding. It was in played condition, a few scuffs and some buckle rash, but above average considering how old it was. His wife's ex-husband was the original owner.

It's butterscotch blond, black pickguard, ash tray bridge, and a maple fretboard. The only thing that I thought was weird was that the headstock logo was just a Fender sticker - it didn't say Telecaster. The neckplate also only said Fender. I didn't think to write down the serial number, which was on the back of the headstock, but I do believe it was only six digits long, and maybe started with an L.

Does it sound like this is the real deal? I've tried doing online searches and I can't find anything about Teles being sold in kit form in the 60's. My friend was talking about swapping out hardware and doing some modifications, and I told him that it may be worth a ton of money so he should leave it in it's original state until we find out. Went on E-Bay yesterday and two '65 Teles were going for over $20K apiece.

2. Chris H.

Chris H. Tele-Afflicted

No vintage Tele ever had a serial on the back of the headstock, nor did they ever say Fender on the neckplate. I've never heard of a vintage Fender kit guitar, im guessing someone added a L serial at some point thus creating hype.Can you post some pictures?

3. Flipped Mustang

Flipped Mustang Tele-Holic

Some of the Japanese 80's Fenders said "FENDER" in block letters on the neck plate. It might be one of those.

4. Jeffco01

Jeffco01 TDPRI Member

Sorry for getting off subject, here, but I just had to say something about this statement... This is WRONG! I mean, the guy is already handling the ex-wife, but his Tele?

5. rideit

rideit Tele-Holic

Maybe the ex was a rat-bastard that deserved it!

6. Jeffco01

Jeffco01 TDPRI Member

Rat-bastard or not, no man deserves that! Haha! It's bad enough if they get the dog, but the tele? And then just pass her around? This post got me to thinkin'. Now I'm gonna have to change my will so the wife doesn't get ANY gear. Not even a guitar cord. Until now it never crossed my mind that the next guy might be handling my tele!
    And, again, I apologize for going off-topic like this. It just had to be said! Haha!

7. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

"L" series numbers would be right for '65, but the number would be on the neck plate, not the back of the headstock. The body may or may not be real, but the neck is not. Photographs would help!

8. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

none of that sounds legit.

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

No number on the neck plate. Thought it was too good to be true.

10. terrybellcountr

terrybellcountr Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

You got me thinking too. What if there is a life on the other side. Then Hell is where you have to sit and watch the missus new man fiddle with your Telecaster. OOOOUCH!
    Better give the gear to the children, with an explicit order to sell.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.