Ever Have One Of Those Rehearsals?

TeleTex82

Friend of Leo's
A little background. We put together this band right before The Great Disruption so it's only been the last few months that we really were able to get back to it with any consistency. We're a four piece doing covers and originals doing a little bit of everything from Elvis Costello to Jhonny Cash. Two of our member have never been in a serious band before but are capable enough. We've really been hitting our stride lately getting about 3-4 hours of reasonably tight music down. Looking at our first gig here in the summer.

Well, last night we had a real stinker. At least to my ears. Nobody else seemed to notice but I thought we were off on just about everything, myself especially. I just switched guitars back to my Logan after using my PRS CE24. I had to change because the thin neck on the PRS was causing me some hand/wrist pain. I don't know if I just didn't have my rig properly dialed in to the Tele but my sound was awful. My solos uninspired and boring. My vocals were trash. I feel I really dragged the entire session down and the whole of our sound/performance suffered for it. I also had an extra long day at work yesterday and had to go straight to practice, while usually I have a couple of hours to decompress and get my head in the game. I'm sure that didn't help.

Anyway, no real point to this post other than vent and try to feel less demoralized. I know most musicians have times like these, but the time I have to play is precious with the work/home life schedule we have and I just hate to waste it.

Last edited:

Spooky88

Tele-Meister
Don’t sweat it. At least you’re playing. Build good relationships and communicate. Room “vibe” before the amps come on is just as important as the sound you’re getting when everyone is dialed up. At least it makes it easier to talk about why there is a letdown in energy/performance when it’s recognizable. I’ve been doing more production work with active bands and players in my area and it’s a different world approaching overall sound and working to improve it. Especially when you’re not sure what should be done. Good luck!

Ricky D.

Doctor of Teleocity
It was just a little sound and it already died away, so let it go before it screws up your next time together.

Spend a little time getting your rig dialed in to the Logan. If you don’t sound right, it’s hard to be right.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
A little background. We put together this band right before The Great Disruption so it's only been the last few months that we really were able to get back to it with any consistency. We're a four piece doing covers and originals doing a little bit of everything from Elvis Costello to Johmmy Cash. Two of our member have never been in a serious band before but are capable enough. We've really been hitting our stride lately getting about 3-4 hours of reasonably tight music down. Looking at our first gig here in the summer.

Well, last night we had a real stinker. At least to my ears. Nobody else seemed to notice but I thought we were off on just about everything, myself especially. I just switched guitars back to my Logan after using my PRS CE24. I had to change because the thin neck on the PRS was causing me some hand/wrist pain. I don't know if I just didn't have my rig properly dialed in to the Tele but my sound was awful. My solos uninspired and boring. My vocals were trash. I feel I really dragged the entire session down and the whole of our sound/performance suffered for it. I also had an extra long day at work yesterday ND had to go straight to practice while usually I have a couple of hours to decompress and get my head in the game, I'm sure that didn't help.

Anyway, no real point to this post other than vent and try to feel less demoralized. I know most musicians have times like these, but the time I have to play is precious with the work/home life schedule we have and I just hate to waste it.
No one's mentioned yet, but......maybe things have been improving to the point that your expectations have gone way up. IMHO, rehearsals are absolutely necessary, but not always a good indication of how a real gig will go. I've played with guys who just NAILED it in practice, but when in front of an audience (not just wives or friends) completely fell apart. It can be nerves, unaccustomed sound, gear....whatever that throws people off. One bad rehearsal is NOT a reason for worry.....but two or three might be. Again, my opinion, but the right "balance" is, each individual should know their parts close to perfect, but if the band practices too much, songs will get stale. You need to get out and play just as everything comes together. Good Luck!!!! ;)

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
Don’t sweat it, happens to everyone. Last rehearsal I started with my Esquire. I felt fumbly, clumsy, and just had a hard time playing anything because the guitar just felt hard to play. Switched to my SG, and it was better, but still felt less than 100%. This too shall pass.

Buell

Tele-Meister
We just had the same thing at our last rehearsal. The singer's timing was off on everything. About halfway thru, we took a break, turned down the volume and relaxed a bit. That seemed to help but it's good to get those stinker practices out of the way BEFORE the gig.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
A little background. We put together this band right before The Great Disruption so it's only been the last few months that we really were able to get back to it with any consistency. We're a four piece doing covers and originals doing a little bit of everything from Elvis Costello to Johmmy Cash. Two of our member have never been in a serious band before but are capable enough. We've really been hitting our stride lately getting about 3-4 hours of reasonably tight music down. Looking at our first gig here in the summer.

Well, last night we had a real stinker. At least to my ears. Nobody else seemed to notice but I thought we were off on just about everything, myself especially. I just switched guitars back to my Logan after using my PRS CE24. I had to change because the thin neck on the PRS was causing me some hand/wrist pain. I don't know if I just didn't have my rig properly dialed in to the Tele but my sound was awful. My solos uninspired and boring. My vocals were trash. I feel I really dragged the entire session down and the whole of our sound/performance suffered for it. I also had an extra long day at work yesterday and had to go straight to practice, while usually I have a couple of hours to decompress and get my head in the game. I'm sure that didn't help.

These are the rehearsals that really pay off, imo. Getting thru the set under less than ideal situations whether actual gig or rehearsal is kind of like stress training. I think of it as raising the floor also pushes the ceiling up.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Those rehearsals do occur. SInger goofs up lyrics, drums are off, bassist cant get things right, guitar tone id terrible ... Just move on is all you can do.

The last clutzy rehearsal we had we played a new somewhat complicated song pretty good the first attempt. Then we went back over some things in it and it got worse and worse and worse... we finally said we'd just leave it alone for now!

Wildcard_35

Tele-Holic
Yes, I have had those. I think if you have too many, there's maybe something wrong with the chemistry or vibe of the players involved, but normally I play with people I enjoy playing with who can deliver the goods, so to speak. As was said earlier, sometimes you just have a bad day. Let it roll off your back and do better next time.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Yes, I have had those. I think if you have too many, there's maybe something wrong with the chemistry or vibe of the players involved, but normally I play with people I enjoy playing with who can deliver the goods, so to speak. As was said earlier, sometimes you just have a bad day. Let it roll off your back and do better next time.
Yep. Don’t practice making mistakes 😉