1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever have a low period for recording ?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by T Prior, Jun 24, 2016.

Ever have a low period where you don't touch your studio for weeks on end ?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    95.5%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Plan of work. It helps to have a clear, step-by-step process thought out before you start. Actually, the way that you design your studio is part of that process.

studio likes this.
  2. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

As for my plan of work right now my studio is set up where I use one mic and the same mic to do everything but drums. I do use that same mic on drums but I have one other mic I use on my kit at the same time. It takes me about 30 seconds to set up for another track between instruments. I record guitar, turn the mic around and record vocals. Unplug the speaker on my amp and plug in a bass speaker turn mic around and record bass. Using the bass speaker I will record my lead guitar/steel guitar. Sometimes I use the guitar speaker for my steel it sound really good then I swivel the mic around to the right and it records drums. I have used a lot of mics in my day. Right now I am just using an RE- 50 for everything. If I can save up some more money I will probably buy another one just so I can have one set up for vocals 24/7 because I like to play guitar and bass and sing at the same time. Sometimes I don't think it sounds as good recording guitar and vocals at the same time in my recording situation but it's fun and I can play bass and sing at the same time so I don't really have to worry about it:D.

I know people may not care or want to hear about it. Here are the things about the re-50 that make it so great. It just sounds phenomenal anyway. It's got an internal pop filter and internal shock mount which are both just great. You don't have to worry about anything but actually playing and singing with it. Proximity effect is negligible. It doesn't have some weird size mic clip or some contraption of a shock mount that sucks to put up and adjust and is going to break. Did I mention it sounds incredible.

I figure it was most likely designed specifically for me, which makes it a mic that can be easily used in the eye of a hurricane to report news and still be one of best sounding mics out there:D.

3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Great thread topic Wood, because I stuggle with vast periods of "creative dead air". I have been having to travel for my job and rehearsing in a live band a lot lately a this is actually re-filling the "idea tank" so now I really want to get some recording time in. I havent recorded a tune in 6 months and its killing me. Chrissy feels the same way. When I die and go to heaven, I picture it will be endless studio time and no software or hardware issues....

4. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Sometimes go in reverse almost. Never happy with the results...can always do better.

Working on tape in real recording studios way back my band was was playing a lot of live gigs, I was in better shape and usually good with 3 or 4 takes. Sometimes wonder if there's something psychological that holds us back - knowing that we can overdub 100 times until it works.

Pressure of having to perform under the terms of a Union Contract for a record label was a real adrenaline rush but is now missing.

Just burnt 2 months hunting for buzz and hiss, then got blue screens, had to re-install Windows and all software twice then blew out an Ibanez TSA15 head that I use for recording so that's been at the tech for 3 weeks. Seems like there's just no end to it.

Good thing I don't get paid to produce.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  5. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

Getting ready to record some material for demos with the other band members on different days. We've been approached to open for some well known acts and they need demos of our material to see if we are worthy...lol

6. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

For me it's time. Every chance I get I go into my home studio but then my wife says this broke, I need help with this, kids come and they need this.

I was recording Saturday night late (try to do it when they are asleep) but she comes in the fridge has sprung a leak.

7. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

We all go through that!

It's the part of life that is either laughable
    and you enjoy it for what it's worth or it can break you down and
    frustrate you till you are paralyzed by fear of starting something
    creative.

Be glad you have a wife that runs to you for help.
    Be glad you can find care in your heart to record
    at off hours to not disturb the natural flow of daily life.

I find your situation a blessing, because the opposite of
    your scenario would be a real drag man!

No wife, no family, no food, no health to stay awake for your art.
    No food in the fridge, no creative spark, no recording equipment.
    No No No!

8. StuH

StuH Friend of Leo's

Haven't touched the studio in six years. Our daughter has occupied most of that time. She is five now and is becoming more independent , so I have just recently been able to upgrade the software and slowly learning new features. Heck, I think this has been my first post on TDPRI in 6 years.

9. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

I guess I came off as blame but not the case. I'm thankfully because she does everything for all of us.

studio likes this.
  10. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

My hat's off to all you guys with young families and demanding day jobs, yet still try to keep the lava-lamp lit in the studio. Uninterrupted time is the recordist's best friend, a mantra I've posted many times, but real life couldn't care less about that.

Time changes everything, though. Log your ideas and save them, either as recorded sketches, notebook scribblings or whatever, for when your demands ease up and you're more at liberty to chase your musical visions. It will pay off big-time!

studio likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.