1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever have a low period for recording ?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by T Prior, Jun 24, 2016.

Ever have a low period where you don't touch your studio for weeks on end ?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    95.5%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Where you have material you want to lay down but just don't have the energy or ambition to actually do it ?

I do, I'm in one now, I am wanting to work on and complete yet another 6 song project CD but I just don't have the drive to do it. Probably due to too many gigs, too much life and other things which have nothing to do with music.

This latest project, I have two songs just about finished but lack the energy to continue right now...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  2. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Everyday life takes its toll. Fatigue and so on. I know how you feel. Same with me right now. Have so many songs (my own) to record. I've been in that state many times before. Some projects of mine are on very long hold and that fact is additionally upsets me.

The rest is the only answer, I guess. After that, it takes strong discipline to do what we have to do. Carry on...

3. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

All I can say, is if you put it off until "the perfect time", it may never happen. Don't let perfection hinder progress.

That's what I keep telling myself and I'm in the same boat. Got about 8 songs I need to record and the means to do it but just cant quite put the pedal to the metal.

Felino likes this.
  4. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Everyday I record.

5. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

One thing about it, when you've completed enough projects to understand the process thoroughly, you realize fully what a commitment you're undertaking. In the early days, I'd slap out a tune in a couple of days. Now that I know a little bit about it, I realize that doing it right means locking into at least a couple of weeks of hard work, if not a month. Or more.

That can create a psychological barrier toward jumping into a new one, because once a project's in motion, one tends to push everything else aside in the quest for completion. Part of your mind is always trawling for that perfect lyrical phrase or arrangement element. Loops from my works in progress run through my head at night while I'm trying to sleep. As all audio junkies understand, recording can blot out the sun. So maybe some of that reluctance to drive on is mental self-defense — taking some time to fill the tank back up! :D

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    gee., Steve 78, tintag27 and 3 others like this.
  6. T Prior

It's not about perfection, it's more like LOW ENERGY, I don't complete projects just because I can, I try to make each one better than the last one while trying to improve on my recording skill-set at the same time. Right now I don't feel like doing anything ! Maybe a week or two down the road, I have a fairly light gig schedule over the next month so maybe my brain will chill out !

7. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

So, do you leave your equipment on all the time?
    If you don't, why not?
    I have found for myself, I develop a certain mild
    anxiety just turning on the gear to get it done.
    Maybe I'm afraid of losing the muse while having
    to perform technical tasks? I really don't know.
    But I do try and make my availability as painless as possible.

My personal recording environment is the two rooms with
    double glass barrier setup. It's almost like I'm walking into
    a commercial environment than my room down the hall.

Even if I don't pick up an instrument, I'm still listening and
    learning something to enhance my musical experience.

I think the hardest part for multi instrumentalists is having
    to decide what instrument to play first. What part are
    you going to lay down as your primary track? Like a lot of
    good arrangers and composers, you are probably hearing
    multiple instruments all at once. You know, you're hearing
    the entire song, fully and complete.

That can be a big distraction when working by yourself,
    laying down......one......track......at........a.......time!

Man, I just bummed myself out! Just turn it off and take up golf.

Larry F and songtalk like this.
  8. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I think we are saying the same thing different ways.

I was not saying "I should be making art because I can and you should too." I was just pointing out that for me, a big part of not wanting to sit down and do the work is because I have a tendency to obsess over the notion that there will be a "perfect opportunity" to record one of these days, which for me, is a non existant ideal that actually results in me producing less art.

YMMV :)

I always feel low energy. Working full time for peanuts and having a kid will do that.

9. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I have low periods, but not as described. And even then, I accumulate material to record. Fortunately for how I do things, I can write out the musical ideas well enough to not lose them later.

10. T Prior

YES ...for me my gear/instruments are available and accessible 100% of the time...maybe not electrically turned on but thats just a flick of the switch . I have a dedicated home studio /music room which is also where I practice and gig prep on a regular basis.

having gear ready and accessible is certainly a key ingredient.

I also stink at Golf !

studio likes this.
  11. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

I think it's healthy to take a break, especially after a fairly arduous project. If you don't have any enthusiasm and want to do it, it'll probably come out half-arsed anyway.

Then again, sometimes all you have to do is force yourself to make a start and suddenly you're absorbed by the work and in the zone ...

Having just finished an album project that took me a few years, I'm more than happy to leave those songs (mixes are only ever abandoned, not finished, right?). Took a bit of a break but have already started on two more songs. The family is leaving me home a lone for a week starting tomorrow and I know I have the itch. I'll be in the studio, with no idea what I'll do. Something will happen though ...

12. T Prior

I would agree, I did just finish two of my own back to back 6 song CD projects and have a client waiting in the wings to start another project of his 5 or 6 original tunes.

My current project can go on hold for a bit, nobody will go hungry if I don't complete it soon. A break from tracking is good but I am still writing arrangements in the meantime. I just don't feel like playing to the RED light.

13. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Fair enough. Sometimes, one thing at a time is enough.

14. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

My current hesitation is not so much mental as physical. I've got a backlog of material to sift through and edit, but I'm battling congestion from hay fever and don't trust my hearing for making mixing/mastering decisions right now. Kind of frustrating, really.

15. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

That's how I view it.

Yes...I do go through lulls in my writing/recording productivity.
    In fact, I'm going through a lull as we speak.
    I've got two on my plate started.
    The subject of both are very clear to me and I only have a verse on one and the chorus on the other.....I'm a failure.
    I do like what I have so far but the finish line is still not in sight.

I'm very critical of my own song writing so it can be a real time vampire.
    Hence, fleshing them (songs) out to my personal satisfaction without being cliche in lyrics or subject matter is a daunting mental process.
    Of course, that doesn't mean any others will think they have any merit. :)
    I may not be able to get the verse/chorus actually done for a couple months "or more".

Writing formula for the masses (not saying I could) has never been my personal goal.....so the process is always just creative therapy for me.
    IMO....when it comes to creative writing...one can't push the river.....sometimes cre8tivity just has to flow.
    (Oh, the irony....the title of one of my current songs?...Cant' Push The River)

That's it for me....maybe this thread will help get my azz in gear. :)

Carry on....

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  16. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Ha....
    I can definitely relate to the above.
    Knowing you'll have to engage the RED LIGHT button and perform impeccably can be a terrifying thought. :)

I've pondered just leaving the equipment on all the time.
    I just haven't taken that leap yet....I guess I have issues.

Back to topic....

studio likes this.
  17. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

One consolation I carry around with me is Jimmy Page.
    Everyone agrees that his brand of Kick Ass Sloppiness
    is the most appealing guitar recordings I have ever heard.

So, armed with that, I don't feel so bad if I got the point across
    with a few traces of human element embedded in the recording.

18. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yes, I enjoy a variety of things in life besides recording.

19. T Prior

Well said Woody...Mental Self Defense, I'm going with that one !

Add to this that back in the 60's, 70's or 80's when we tracked something at home on the acetate we played it for maybe 10 people at best. Today , with a DAW and the internet we have a bit more going on, the goal may be a tad different. Our audience is massively magnified so we indeed want to put our best foot forward with each session. Today, my home sessions have multiple goals, self pleasure is of course one of them but I also stream ,sell music ( the same tracks) and CD's at shows. The producer/arranger/engineer hats have as much invested in a home session these days as the session player hat, which of course at home, we wear all 4 hats. Then of course when all 4 of those innate personalities are done then yet another personality comes on the scene to mix and maybe do some simple mastering. All 5 of us are responsible for the end result ! There are some days that 3 of the 5 personalities are still sleeping or on vacation.

ooglybong likes this.
  20. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

And another personality: the gofer who has to cable everything up, set up mics stands, and troubleshoot the inevitable signal chain issues. (What, you mean I've plugged my ins into my outs again???)

Sometimes it takes me an hour to get ready to record. Time when I should be relaxin' in the green room with a super model.

I try to leave things set up and ready to go but it usually doesn't happen that way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.