1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever had a Tilley hat wear out?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stubee, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Best. Hat. Ever. Mine gets a little soap and water sometimes... IMG_20170825_124121.jpg IMG_20170825_124135.jpg

Tommy Biggs and brookdalebill like this.
  2. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Aren't they guaranteed for life?
    It actually says so on the inside label in the post right above

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Dang it, now I have to hunt down a Tilley hat of my very own!

4. Johnson johnson

Got mine locally at Mr. Hats, I believe Cabela's sells them if you got one. Highly recommended. From me anyway...

brookdalebill likes this.
  5. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Not yet.

My original cotton Tilley from 1986 has been a total workhorse and served me well in my years on the water as a sailmaker. Still have it, still use it. But, my dermatologist and I think my newer, lighter wider brim Tilley is a smarter choice for my balding head. <g>

They may not be a fashionable choice, but they are dang good hats.

- Bob

6. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I think the cotton is better than the hemp version.
    Now, I've never worn one out but I have lost/misplaced 3 or 4 vet the years. My boonie is failing so I'm getting another Airflo soon. Maybe I can keep this one

7. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I have not! My organic airflow is more than a decade old at this point and still going strong. It has developed a hint of a sweat ring but otherwise looks great. Sorry your experience hasn't been as good. Definitely, let them know and get the replacement...

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  8. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Wear out?
    How would one know?

9. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

IMG_5135.JPG

I was bringing a deer head to the trash can once. I pulled it out of the bag and did this with one of my dogs. He freaked out and ran.

10. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

After reading this thread I went and ordered a Tilley hat from Amazon. Got it yesterday, it fit perfect but looked kinda goofy on me. After a few drinks it looked great. This morning it went back to goofy. I'm sure they're great hats for boating and hunting wallabies but I'm not sure I can pull it off.

11. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

I have a canvas Tilley hat that I bought at the Annapolis sailboat show about 20 years ago. The strap that holds it on wore out, so I called Tilley and they sent me a new one free and postpaid. I sweat a lot, too, and the area around the hatband is fairly discolored. I've washed it about 10 times, I guess. It comes out cleaner, but still stained. The Tilley is the best sun-blocking hat I've ever worn.

"Sewn with Canadian persnickityness".

12. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Yeah, when you need it it works pretty well though. Not exactly a fashion statement piece...

13. Johnson johnson

Oh sir, that's me rocking mine in the requisite bacon outfit in my avatar photo. Height of fashion round here ;)

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  14. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Don't buy a Tilley Hat from anyone except from their website.

One of the things that makes them so great is they come in a ton of sizes, and it's hard to tell from the website but some of them also are made to fit different head shapes like high end Motorcycle/Car helmets.

Most other places that sell them aren't going to have all the sizes. If you pick out a hat on their website you can contact them and they'll help you get the *perfect* size, and they'll let you exchange away till you've got the perfect one.

I wore mine a bunch boating and walking around in the sun last weekend.. it's so comfortable cause it fits.

It drives me nuts trying to find an equivalently awesome winter hat. Even fancy outdoor and mountaineering brands often think one size hat fits everyone.

I wear mine outside a lot cause then I'm not smearing/spraying sunscreen all over my face only to have it get in my eyes and sting later, or end up all over my eyeglasses or camera.

15. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Try the Filson Tin Cloth Packer hat. Quality stuff, if not exactly haute couture. The Sizing guide worked well for me.
    They do sell out of the regular sizes pretty frequently- so you gotta look back until your size (mine is XL) is available.

https://www.filson.com/tin-cloth-pa...MI_qLq7OOB1gIVxEoNCh3tbwB8EAYYASABEgJxBPD_BwE

[​IMG]

16. bluetinstar

bluetinstar TDPRI Member

Had my current cotton Tilley for 16 years. No wear !! :) Second best hat I ever had.
    First, was my first Tilley that got lost in a storm going round Hartland Point (UK) - too rough to go about to find it ; plus I had to keep my eyes glued to the radar ! :eek:

Great hats !

Fred

17. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

With that much wear and fading, imagine what your head would look like without it!

Boubou likes this.
  18. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Stylish hat but that's more like a Tilley hat.. not really what I'm thinking of. I'm thinking of something you wear out in a snowstorm for insulation under your Gore-Tex shell's hood, or something you wear for winter hiking, mountaineering, or just going ice skating on a pond or something. Beanie cap.

I looked at Arcteryx's site the other day, their stuff is well thought out, but even their warmest hats are mostly one size fits all. Generally same thing going on when I've gone in EMS and REI.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.