1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever had a Tilley hat wear out?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stubee, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I'm outside in the sun a lot, a real lot, so decided a few years ago to finally wear something besides a ball cap for long days on the water. Wish I didn't need it but got all the face keratosis and worse to prove me wrong.

After trying about everything I got a Tilley hemp hat on 2013: only hat I've ever really loved. Thing breathes and I forget I've got the thing on, and I don't really care how I look while fishing or whatever. The other day I noticed what I thought was a stain above the brim but no, the fabric is wearing right thru. Bummer as I'm now fishing every day in FL and need it.

I'll eventually return it for a warranty replacement but didn't want to wait a week + for that so bought another. Here's the new hat with the same 3+ year old model. Talk about fast fade! IMG_6543.JPG

I truly thought my first Tilley would last forever, and while I'm glad they'll replace it (once I pay shipping both ways) I'm surprised it would wear so fast. I take care of it--gentle wash & air dry--just like they recommend so can't figure out how it became threadbare. Anybody else own this hemp hat? And no, you can't smoke it.
    IMG_6532.JPG IMG_5135.JPG

2. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

My guess is the washing. I still have a 12 year old one, but it never gets washed outside of getting hit with rain or the occasional garden hose.

Stubee likes this.
  3. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

I had a very similar one to that in the late 90's. I loved it and pretty much wore it out. I believed I only washed it once or twice in the years I had it. Mine wore in the same place as yours and had much smaller ventilation holes but other than that yours looks the same.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  4. Stubee

I was kinda wondering about that. They strongly recommend washing it but WTH, my ball caps are never washed and will outlive me. I think I'll wash the new one maybe once before I keel over.

5. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I just think about my military hats that I have tossed in my truck for the last 10 years. Everyone of them have been worn all over the globe in every climate you can think of since the lat '80's and they are still holding up fine with very few actual washings.

You could wash them in the dishwasher which is a little more forgiving on the fabric, but really, I just wear them "as is" until death.

6. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

Wash... Hat...?

/Oilskin FTW

troy2003 likes this.
  7. a_pidgeon

a_pidgeon Tele-Meister

Mine is going on nine years old and still every bit as sturdy as the day I bought it. It's heavier now, though, because I've covered it in summit pins.

I remember reading a story in some of their marketing material about a zookeeper having his hat *ahem* pass through an elephant unscathed. I'm betting you'd want to wash it after that.

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Do you have moths? They love natural fabrics.

9. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I'm guessing that away from TDPRI, you are an exceptionally salty, hard headed and abrasive dude. :D

10. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

I have that (TH5?) same hat, and have worn it literally all over the world. So far it's holding up fine, but that's because I do wash it every so often. I also have a broader-brimmed T4, in cotton duck, and because I don't wash it the sweat has eaten through the duck in several spots. So, lesson learned. Wash your Tilleys!

11. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

we quit tilly around 2009.

poor company in my opinion.

had a at least 8 hats and some aparel from them.

some of the earlier stuff was ok but it doesnt come close in value to the other brands like

OR, mountain hardwear, and the other outdoor outfitter superbrands.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

No Tilley hat here, mostly cowboy style for me, but I've just got to wonder ... that don't look like cargo shorts.:eek: That's heresy here.:twisted:

13. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

my two main hats are a bakersfield biscuts cap and a chevy cap

14. Stubee

Those are fishing shorts worn commando style for wet wading. But I got about 30 pounds of fishing cargo scattered in assorted vests, packs and bags.

15. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

30#s pounds of fishing cargo? Slacker. I am a Tackleholic and attend meetings at Cabelas and BassPro.

Stubee likes this.
  16. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Don't wash a hat? Really?

I have a "yard work" ballcap I leave in the garage. I am one of those people who are always hot, so I sweat a lot. Within a few weeks, that ballcap is crusty white from dried salt, and quite gross. I have to wash all my hats or they get ruined.

17. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I have a 10 year old Tilly Air Flo - but don't wear it every day- just for yard work and Beach vacations. The hemp looks nice - but I imgagine the Nylon construction may be longer lasting.

I'll be interested in your warranty experience, if you don't mind sharing...

18. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Yes I have! But mine "rusted through" at the heat vents! One day a fishing buddy of mine's son asked :
    "Mr. Gus, what happened to your old rusty hat?".
    Told him it finally just rusted away. :)

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nope, but I wore out my first leather ball cap, many people would say the second one is shot, too.
    The first one lasted 10 years.
    My "new" one is about 7.
    I think it's got at least another couple of years left.
    I actually get them patched and repaired.
    I do the same with shoes/boots that I like.
    Yes, most people who know me assume my hat is part of my body.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  20. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I have a Nylon LTM8.. I would wonder if the Nylon and the original Cotton ones are more durable than the Hemp.

The Cotton one is what they forged their reputation with.

I have had other brands that are dead in one year though, the Tilley is WAY better than most of the similar looking hats that you see for sale most places. Those are often $40-50 so the Tilley looks pretty good at $80 considering the quality difference and the # of sizes available.

I have to wash mine pretty regularly. It's not showing any signs of wear.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.