1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

ever had a heart attack?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by banjohabit, Sep 29, 2011.

1. banjohabit

banjohabit Tele-Holic

i did the night before last. all the pain was in my throat and under my tongue. luckily,(i guess), i was present with my cousin when he had a heart attack with those same symptoms, else i might not have gone to the hospital as quickly as i did, (my wife being out of town i might not have gone at all).

as it is, i went right away and it made all the difference: i had an artery 99% blocked, but they quickly stabilized me and put in a stint. i have another one 70% blocked, but they said things go best if they deal with them one at a time. doc says my timely response to the symptoms (15 mins. i was in the rescue squad, 15 mins. after that in the emergency room) is the only reason i have escaped with little or no damage to my heart.

so, go ! don't mess around. if it's a false alarm so what ? don't join the heart attack club and be one of those who never gets to hang around for the meetings!

2. rolling56

rolling56 Friend of Leo's

wow scary.........glad your ok

3. stringslinger01

stringslinger01 Tele-Meister

no, but my dad had one. His pain was in his left arm. Luckily he was ok.

4. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Glad you are ok, it is something I fear. I am 48, 4 years from the age my father passed away from his first and only heart attack. He had a physical including an EKG just months prior. I have hypertension and am on blood pressure medication to control my bp.

I just had a physical which included an EKG, Echo cardiogram, Stress Test with nuclear medicine and am going in Friday for a Cardiac Calcium Score test which they are saying is a very good early indicator of heart disease. So far I think things have been checking out ok but I have 3 kids 12, 15 and 27 as well as 3 grandchildren and I am not ready to leave any of them quite yet :)

5. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

mine was February 8, 2010. thought it was a bad case of indigestion. my wife made me go to the doctor...turned out i had 100% blockage of the Left Anterior Descending Artery (the big one that goes across the front of your heart). i, too, got a stint, but i'm not so lucky with the damage. because i waited so long to seek treatment, i've got about 15-20% permanent damage. at the time of my "cardiac event" i weighed 255 lbs, didn't eat right, and never exercised. i've since completely changed all that. i eat healthy only, and i exercise every day. by Christmas 2010, i was down to 172, where i've stayed ever since.

banjohabit, i'm glad your's was caught sooner! take care of yourself, my friend. and follow your doctor's orders to the letter. wishing you the best of success with your recovery.

6. yark14

yark14 Friend of Leo's

I worked as a personal trainer in college, and one of my clients had a heart attack a few years before I met him (he was in his late 40's when he had it). Other than quitting smoking, he made minimal adjustments to improve his health. In fact, he actually put on quite a bit of weight in those 4 years (replacing cigs with food).

Point of the story: it is amazing how the body can heal itself and adapt positively when you do the right things.

When I first started working with him he couldn't do more than a couple pushups and only jog 50-100 meters. 4 months later he ran a mile without stopping. His blood pressure and cholesterol numbers were significantly improved as well.

Glad you made it through it with little damage. Don't let it happen again, ok? ;) Best of luck.

7. Telegator

Telegator Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I've had one. And may I add that nobody has a heart attack without damage. The medical term for a heart attack is "myocardial infarction". That translates into English as "death of the heart muscle." That being said I am thankful your damage was minimal.

I have five stints in my heart and if I have any further procedures it will be open heart surgery. My biggest issue with my case is diabetes. When you have diabetes it plays hard on cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Keep an eye on your blood sugar.

Most of all, make the most of every day and God bless you as you go forward.

8. 68thinline

68thinline Tele-Afflicted

I watched my dad have one almost 2 years ago. Classic symptoms.

The surgeon told us if it had been another 10 minutes...well...

I'm sure glad my dad's still around.

BTW, for all you EMTs out there: hat's off to you guys (and gals).

9. vtcyclist

vtcyclist Tele-Afflicted

When I was studying EMT stuff for ski patrol, we were taught that one of the symptoms of a person having a heart attack is the denial that they are having a heart attack. I've not had one, but the people I know that have, all said the left arm pain, the lock jaw, shortness of breath was hard to ignore and more painful than they had experienced from other maladies.

I am glad to hear you're recovering and caught it early.

10. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Personally, I'm sick and tired of all the health problems that people are having. I can't wait for the better life ahead...if you know what I mean.

11. buddywayne

buddywayne Tele-Afflicted

I have had 7 MI's, 4 CABG's, 7 stints, and a pacemaker. I have 70% heart damage and congestive heart failure. I am still mobile and feel good most of the time but am very weak. I have very low blood flow to my feet and no good arteries left for bypasses. I walk daily to keep my circulation from getting worse. I am lucky and grateful to be alive and I know someone is looking out for me. Never give up. I still play guitar and when I play out I get to sit. Take care of yourselves guys and don't ignore symptoms and get regular physicals.

12. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

:eek:...gulp ...scary stuff.. you are one tough hombre my friend, most folk wouldn't be playing guitar after all that ...a harp maybe..:neutral:

had my H.A. in Nov. /09 fortunately it was a minor right side event and the procedure went well...I haven't changed much lifestyle wise but I don't smoke or drink and my weight isn't too much concern...sure makes you ponder your existence however...

and it's "STENT" not stint...:)

[​IMG]

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

glad you are okay! thanks for the tips!

14. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I guess plavix will be in your diet for... well for the rest of your life I guess..

Good news overall, be well!

15. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Good job, glad it worked out. Did anyone tell you about the benefits of carrying aspirin with you? Do you carry your "stent" card with you? These things also make a difference.
    Best of luck and keep yourself moving!

16. buddywayne

buddywayne Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. Plavix is a lifesaver.

17. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oh yeah..In Oct.1999 I went into ER with numbness and tingling in my lefy arm..They found 2 pipes almost completely closed..Double bi-pass got me goin' again..Had a stint put in about 6 years ago and 2 more 2 years ago..The doc says my heart is very strong,no damage...Matter of fact my heart was so strong that they did the bi-passes with out shutting it down,no machine..Had to sign a release for that..I have been given much more than I've earned for sure..
    The key is getting it taken care of at first little sign..

18. Telegator

Telegator Tele-Afflicted

I also was told I had several small artieries that were nearly 100% blocked. But they are so small my Doctor said that when they close off the blood will force a new route so they pose no danger. What they do though is hurt like blazes. This means nitroglycerin tablets. I have twice had to take one under my tongue. Instant headache! I mean some plum kind of headache :lol:

19. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

glad youre ok man

20. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

This is something that concerns me because it runs in the lineage, mostly in elderly years.

I live alone. What would I do if I had a heart attack? I have friends that come by to visit regularly, but is there a mechanism/gizmo that I could alert the EMS to my condition if I had an attack, eg, an electronic bracelet with a button for 911?

Sorry, this issue has been in the back of mind for sometime, and I've been too lazy to pursue the answers.

Another thing, I've known a few people that have gone through bypass surgery, and normally they're sent home in a week. I on the other hand, with a sorry lifestyle after retiring, have spent two months in a hospital.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.