1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever Gig at a Senior Living Facility?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nojazzhere, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I've sat in with a few pickup bands that used these as practices for a bigger gig on the weekend. They don't mind the volume. If anything, it wakes them up. Hey, anything recorded prior to 1980 is grandparents music. Stones is absolutely ancient. Its older now than the old-timey music revived during the 1960's folk revival (1920's and 1930's revived).

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  2. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I'm sure that most are certainly not like this but a guy I used to know talked me into doing a free gig at a seniors facility. Being a senior myself and figuring that I was overdue to give a little back I agreed. I pull into the parking lot at the rec center and the first thing I notice is that it's full of new luxury cars and the whole place looks like a mini Mara Lago. I set up my gear while the rich old geezers are enjoying their gourmet buffet thinking how even the red neck towny bar I used to play would throw in a free burger and fries. Not these tight wads. I did the gig anyway, packed up my gear, told the guy who talked me into it to bite me and that was that. Lesson learned. The elderly who live in the more well to do communities pay their associations entertainment fees and there is money available to pay musicians but the folks who organize the events don't always share the wealth.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  3. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

There's a nursing home I played at before the pandemonium. They like it. Just pull out the old Hank Williams and Chuck Berry and they'll be your slaves for life.

4. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Some of the most interactive gigs you will ever play. I love gigging at those! They are some of the few gigs that everyone, even the staff leave happy. They are also low maintenance and low gear gigs because the spaces are not really that big. You don't need an amp, half-stack or even a huge PA system. You really only need a guitar and possibly a small voice amplifier.

5. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

You might try sending a CD with mellow music with the assurance that you won't play too loud. Make sure it has a good selection of the older music. Personally visiting the facilities should help too. They could be afraid of a heavy metal concert.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

In a few years, I'll be living in a senior living facility. I can wait until then to gig there, plus, no having to move gear.

7. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Yes, senior communities do typically have a budget for entertainment/social activities. You should contact them directly. Going through "a guy I used to know" is not the best approach. I'm sorry this happened to you, but honestly the "rich old geezer" residents likely had no idea that you weren't offered your free hamburger.

telestratosonic and nojazzhere like this.
  8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve heard they don’t really care what you play, they just like the entertainment.
    My daughter had a friend who suggested that I should consider doing these but I never acted on it.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

Back in the early to mid 80's my bluegrass band would play at a local Trade Winds Center, It was for mentally handicapped teens and young adults. We played there at no charge about once a month. It was by far our favorite gig. Those young people enjoyed it so much and were always so excited to see us arrive. Man, they would dance and dance. After the first couple times we played there the young people began showing up in western clothes and cowboy hats, etc. they were thrilled to be able to talk with us and we got to know many of them by name. Normally there were a couple hundred in attendance. That was a gig we always looked forward to.

We also played for free at a number of nursing homes and assisted care facilities. Those were among our other favorite gigs, and at the time we were playing big time bluegrass shows and festivals with the biggest names in bluegrass, many of them in the bluegrass and country music Halls of Fame. Even with that, those freebies at those facilities were our favorites.

Been thinking of doing it again and just showing up with an acoustic and play solo a bit for free and very informal.

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I know a few people who gig at senior facilities. It's easy and the pay is decent. Super low volume stuff. I have been avoiding it. It just feels like admitting to the final throes in a music career!

telestratosonic and nojazzhere like this.
  11. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

A buddy of mine does this sometimes for some extra cash. One time, to see what would happened, he ripped into some cannibal corpse, growls and all. He got some interesting looks, but the young man that worked there loved it!

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Generally it's "barely on" loudness. Not even comparable to a club gig.

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yup, weekly for a few years.

Once, my buddy who had an aunt in a facility and invited me to do a couple sets with him. He was a professional singer and I brought my banjo...

Afterwards, he said, "I never thought I'd do a full Elvis set backed by a banjo!"

Telekarster and nojazzhere like this.
  14. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Yes, several...acoustic guitars, upright or acoustic bass guitar, Bose L1 PA.

Takes some patience sometimes, as many of the old folks never have visitors or just someone to talk with, so they’ll want to visit with the band.

Helps to be prepared for anything from Bib Wills to Sinatra to Bennie Goodman to The Eagles.

nojazzhere and howardlo like this.
  15. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Afflicted

Back in the "80's -- 90's our trio played at assisted living and senior centers. We would play for free, but were paid minimum union scale using MPTF. They really enjoyed early rock 'n' roll; Kansas City. Green Onions etc - predictable tunes. Lately I played a few engagementsat senior resort facilities, 1- 2 hours, early, rock and yuppie rock went over well. Excellent compensation, easy job

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The big-band that I play in has an annual Valentine’s dance gig at an upscale assisted living center. It’s at 2 pm on a Saturday afternoon. A dance studio supplies several instructors to dance with the residents who need partners and instruction. A dessert chef sets out a sumptuous buffet.

We play swing and pop from the 40s, 50s and 60s.

It’s a wonderful event, though it always makes me remember that most people needing to live with assistance don’t have $6,000 a month to live in such a nice facility.

nojazzhere and dented like this.
  17. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

It’s on my to-do list for the summer.

nojazzhere and howardlo like this.
  18. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

yes

my experience is the same as @1955 's, but I didn't stroll

most appreciative audiences ever, even when the residents include a former concert pianist! she heard everything

old people are the BEST

19. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Not gigs per se but when I was in and out of San Diego working on boats I had a girlfriend that had Karaoke Shows. She would do shows at the Seniors Homes and I would go and load in and out to help her. I remember that she got paid well and the old folks loved it. There were always just enough singers to keep it interesting and my girlfriend and I would sing popular songs that induced clapping or sing-a-alongs. I thought it was well worth it and we were always thanked. We also got all the cookies and lemonade we could eat.

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

+1

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.