1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever Gig at a Senior Living Facility?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nojazzhere, Apr 11, 2021.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

In High School, my band played a handful of what we referred to as "adult parties".....but nothing quite like this. ;) upload_2021-4-11_8-33-34.jpeg

2. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Not yet, but I'd like to.

P Thought, Tele-beeb and nojazzhere like this.
  3. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

I was invited to join an older couple I know who did this but then that-which-shall-not-be-named hit and I haven't seen them since.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yup!
    Lots of em'.
    I still do a couple a month.
    I love playing those gigs.
    I've done solo, duo, and full band gigs.
    They're alway short (1-1 1/2 hour), require minimal gear, and pay as well or better than most other gigs.
    The residents love it!
    I know the requisite repertoire intimately.

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I still play some ' Retirement Community' Music Concerts in a Classic Country duo.

It's me on lead acoustic guitar and some singing, and my friend Billy ( he has a real Country wardrobe, even Nudie suits, and Cowboy hats)
    sings lead and plays rhythm guitar.

The shows are an hour long, usually in a Party/Community Room, or outdoor courtyard. We bring a little PA.

Folks love the music, come by after, compliment us- makes them happy

Billy has a deep voice like Johnny Cash ( we did a full electric Country band for years, but just no market for this old stuff it seems), and though not a country boy, I'm a pretty good picker.
    These gigs are sparse now....

Edit- pick from a few years back:
    Billy and Joe NYE 2009 #2.JPG

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  6. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

I have a regular gig that is very much like the one in the cartoon. The social committee (which is operated by the residents) at the center hire us about four times a year. They all bring in food and drinks potluck style. Gig usually is 6pm to 9pm. We play mostly popular music from their youth...Elvis, Motown, Beatles, etc. They dance on EVERY SINGLE SONG...not exaggerating. It’s one of our favorite gigs.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

No but I tuned a codgers fiddle at a dementia/ Alzheimer's home, because he'd forgotten how, and he promptly started the show.

8. runstendt

runstendt Tele-Meister

I played for a few Retirement Homes, and it was always a fun time. On time in particular was a blast. I was playing in an old-timey country duo at the time, think Patsy Cline and Johnny Cash, and we played at a facility that my great uncle was staying at. The residents were thrilled to have something to do, knew every song that we played, and they were really into it. It helped them to know that they haven't been forgotten or abandoned. What makes the memory bittersweet for me is that it was the last time that I saw my great uncle alive, as he passed not even three weeks later. Still, the last time that I saw him he was happy and surrounded by friends and family, and any small part I played in making that happen is a treasure.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Hmmm, with device addicted youth being the wave of the future, and arena rock dying off, could be codgers become the only consumers of live music?

10. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I played so many of them that I can’t remember the names of them now. They were my favorite.

Those folks were the best part of the job. I did a lot of memory care and rehab centers, RV rallies, themed parties, dances, church events, Ruritan clubs, independent living, Masonic homes and temples, lodges, hospitals, senior luncheons, even geriatric mental jails, too.

One rehab place was so fun that I would drive 2&1/2 hours to play every few weeks.

If I had a short, private gig, sometimes afterwards I’d drive around and just do suprise walk-ins at various facilities with an acoustic guitar. They’d all be in a dining room eating or doing arts and crafts, etc., and I’d put smiles on their faces. I’d go room to room and serenade bedridden folks just to brighten their day.

There was one independent living place that had a dance that I played twice, and they worked me harder than any crowd I’d ever played for. Just kept calling out fast songs one right after another for hours so they could keep dancing.

Some of these places had huge auditoriums and it would wear me out running all over the stage because the crowd was so big.

WW2 vets carrying my 50 lb speakers to my vehicle kept me humble.

That’s the part I miss the most, those people.

11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

upload_2021-4-11_9-0-25.png

Bassman8, puddin, PhredE and 3 others like this.
  12. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

Ever Gig at a Senior Living Facility?

Yep, my own house. :(

13. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That’s our bread and butter. Daytime, short sets, appreciative audiences. Good pay.

14. nojazzhere

Back in the late sixties my band played a TON of military bases......those paid better than clubs, the hours were reasonable, their checks NEVER bounced, and you never worried about things getting out of hand.....MP's took care of that.
    The enlisted men's clubs were more fun than the Officer's club. Viet Nam era officers were still a little "up-tight" and "gung ho" for some of our Jefferson Airplane and Doors material. But, all in all, great memories.
    (and BTW....we never picked up tower radio chatter on our PA. ;) )

15. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For several months after I retired, once or twice a month I would play at a nursing home.
    I found piano worked better. Very much enjoyed it as much as the residents.

I printed up large type lyrics of the songs.

No, there were no Doors songs!!

16. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’ve sent out a number of emails to various communities near where I live, with absolutely no response. I don’t even want to get paid, just to bring some entertainment for the folks- what is the best way to approach the homes?

17. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Everything has changed now, might be a while (if ever) before things return back to normal.

Telekarster, PhredE and nojazzhere like this.
  18. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Our trio has one retirement center gig. I'ts at an exclusive resort type residence down here at the beach. Huge enterprise with full medical, Vegas style buffets, ballroom and the best beach front property in the area. Even during the lockdown they used a multi acre yard where we played on one side and they watched from the other. We were also telecast through the facility so those who wanted to stay in there rooms could still enjoy it. We just ran a line out of the PA to their video guy. They have line dancing classes so we have to play the usual line dances (oh joy), but they love it and it kills time.

Before the current climate we played dances about 4 times a year. New Years Eve was the best. Start at 8 end by 10. Oh yes as others have said, pay is good and the gigs are short. The biggest problem is complaints about it being too loud. The people who sit by the speakers complain about loud volume the people in the back say they can't hear us. So we find a happy medium. The food is always good too.

19. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

Does the desire for loudness tend to be lower than in clubs? Or is it high, because there are more aging hippies there nowadays who like it loud, but they typically don’t hear very well? Speak up, what’d you say?!

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. nojazzhere

What @1955 above said. My mother's facility used to have bi-weekly live entertainment, which stopped about a year ago. The facility has used this "thing" as an excuse to cut MANY different expenses....some justified and some NOT.....so they may not bring live events back. They believe they can get away with a couple cheap boxes (yes, boxes) of wine, and a portable radio. Remember, the "Greatest Generation" doesn't often complain about inconveniences.....they just "deal", and carry on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.