1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever get a Real Telecaster that did not measure up to your expectations?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Skydog1010, May 3, 2019.

1. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Yes, never played a Fender that I got along with. Aside from the 60's roadworn highway one strat that was a dream. Played Mexican and American tele's and we just don't bond. CME has spoiled me a bit with being able to play vintage fenders with a short drive.

Greg_L and Skydog1010 like this.
  2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have played many I didn't like. But, that goes for a a lot of Guitars, not just Teles.
    I only have two, both had the same effect on me: I had to buy them as soon as I played them.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  3. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    We are swimming in the same pool. Doubt if I will bother with another Nashville style.

gitarjoe likes this.
  4. Skydog1010

Even though this was not an expensive guitar, I just couldn't get married to it. So far out of quite a few purchased this was the biggest disappointment which is very much unlike me - not bonding with a Fender Tele.

5. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Had a 59 top loader back in the day. Neck pickup was microphonic nearly unusable but bridge pickup screamed. This was way before I knew wonky stuff was easily fixed. The screaming single coil wasn’t my jam at the time so I sold it for $850, probably around “77 or so. That was a buncha dough back then. A local country pro player was really excited to get it. It certainly deserved to be in his talented hands vs mine at the time.

I guess I’d like it now but the transfer of happiness and $850 in my pocket to buy a nice 71 Jazz Bass was all good.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  6. Brad h

Brad h TDPRI Member

I played Nashville Deluxes at two different stores. The first one impressed me. It played and sounded fantastic. Loved it. The second one just had no life to it. I have heard American Teles that sound the same way. My Vintage Blonde Squier 50's Classic Vibe sounds incredible and plays great. Bought it used(two weeks old) for $275. Couldn't be happier.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  7. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

My first was a '61 Esquire. It's been all downhill from there. I've been a partscaster guy for a long time and am pretty happy with what I've got. If I was looking for one off the rack, a 50's R/W would do.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  8. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’ve only owned one Fender Telecaster and it’s a 2017 Deluxe Nashville. I love it. I’ve played many in stores that I wouldn’t want to take home.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  9. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I have a Nashville. As usual, I didn't like the pickups, but I did really like the neck & body. So that's all that is stock.

New bridge, electronics & pickguard. A lot of people say you should just buy a guitar you like, but for me those aren't on the rack. Even if I were to spend the money on a custom made instrument we'd like be where I was with the American Deluxe Strat. The cost to enjoyment ratio would be out of whack. Especially since I enjoy modifying guitars.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I've pretty much found that with every Telecaster too.

I have a long list of specs that make me not like a Tele.
    Thin neck
    V neck
    Counterclockwise twisted neck
    Small frets
    Medium frets
    Any neck pickup
    Too heavy
    Too light
    Ugly color
    Locking trem
    Non locking trem
    Humbuckers
    Noiseless pickups
    Hot pickups
    Thin sounding pickups
    Worn out tuners
    Cheapo tuners
    Cheapo hardware
    Cheapo lumber
    Flexible/ weak neck
    Relic/ sanded neck
    Over beveled fret ends
    Overly rolled fingerboard edges

Can't say I've ever found a Tele on the rack that had none of these terrible features.
    But a good number had good enough bones to buy and make into a perfectly great Tele.

Skydog1010 and fenderchamp like this.
  11. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Interesting. For me, I would have just said scale length and ugly body shape. Most of the rest of your list is easily remedied.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  12. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

I bought an Ash Natural Finish MIM Telecaster in 2005. It had a horrible ski-ramp past the 12th fret and spectacularly and uncomfortably huge jumbo frets that stuck out way past the edge of the neck like little knives. I sent it back and have shied away from MIM's in particular and Tele's in general since then. I know it's not rational so I've been giving Tele's another shot and I'm actively looking for one again. I hope I don't get another bad one, it took 14 years to get past the last one.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  13. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I borrowed a friend's Fender Nocaster relic he wanted to sell...

... I wanted to buy

I had it one afternoon and had a long rehearsal with my band and the Nocaster I wanted to buy. Well... it sounded almost exactly as my Fat Tele but I liked more the neck humbucker. I wanted to like that guitar but the lack of balls at the neck made me reject that

So I didn't buy that guitar. The guitar was OK but nothing new under the sun and really expensive

Skydog1010 likes this.
  14. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Holic

I had an absolutely beautiful bound sunburst deluxe telecaster (they call them Elite now). It was the prettiest guitar I ever owned. I wanted that guitar to sound as good as it looked but it never did - I think it was the noiseless pickups. My love for fatter necks lead me to a parts caster, that while not as pretty, has the sound and feel I love.

Not saying there's anything wrong with the deluxe - i moved it on to a mate who loves it and records with it. It really is horses for courses!

Cheers

Skydog1010 likes this.
  15. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I have never been disappointed by a Fender Telecaster or a G&L ASAT that I've purchased.

FWIW, my examples of the above are:

- '02 Custom Shop spec-built N.O.S. Esquire (Desert Tan whiteguard) - original owner (though I am not the one who custom ordered it; he changed his mind and stuck the shop with it).

- '04 Aerodyne (Black) - original owner.

- AV '58 Reissue (2TSB) - original owner.

- '16 ASAT Classic Nitro (Clear Orange) - original owner.

These are still stock, and staying that way, aside from the Aerodyne, which I have just decided to start screwing with after 15 years of ownership. The worst aspect of any of these guitars is the neck pickup of the Aerodyne. But it isn't really a disappointment, as I did not expect the electronics on the guitar to be any good. Typical MIJ Fender: excellent craftsmanship, but outfitted with poor quality electronics throughout. Both pots went bad, and the switch gave me trouble, before the guitar was all that old. That said, I love the bridge pickup, and it isn't going anywhere.

The rest are/were home builds/assemblies.

I have a Page Mirror Tele incoming. That one has certainly got the largest setup for disappointment out of any Tele I've ever purchased. We'll see what happens.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Skydog1010 likes this.
  16. Skydog1010

That's a HUGE win! Enjoy. I have three Stratocasters that I am just totally in love with, my Telecaster family has taken a back seat. My 7.25 radius 50's Strat is my best friend at present. That's for another forum I guess.

17. Skydog1010

Good luck with the Page Mirror... I'm betting you will be happy with it. That Deluxe Nashville has been my only Fender dud in almost 56 years of playing. Never met a G&L I didn't love.

18. Skydog1010

I agree the Noiseless pups in my opinion are a disappointment almost always. I am working towards installing G&L MFD pups where needed - and Pure Tone Jack's in every guitar I have. Most of my players already have various aftermarket pickups, which I am very pleased with. The Fender Deluxe Nashville just rubbed me the wrong way, balance, weight, neck profile, especially the pickups, it got to where there was gnashing of teeth Everytime I looked at. I have only experienced that with a handful of off brand economy guitars prior to this Fender. I bought mail order and didn't return it soon enough. It's on me.

19. Skydog1010

I have been surprised at how nice G&L ASAT's are. Recommend to me about nine years ago, just bought my first one three months ago, since then bought an ASAT Bluesboy. Love them both. I'm pretty sure I would love a 52 RI with tight neck radius and a soft v profile too ;-)

20. Skydog1010

I bought mail order gonna stop doing that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.