Ever get a Real Telecaster that did not measure up to your expectations?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Skydog1010, May 3, 2019.

1. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

What??? What is this heresy of which you speak?

2. Hammerdog

Hammerdog Tele-Meister

I get that....I traded for an Elite Strat last week. I’m still trying to find it’s sweet
    spot. There’s a lot there, well built and finished guitar. I’m going to hang with it a while longer, I need to unleash some Mojo on it.

G.Rotten likes this.
  3. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

The only real lemon I got was a mex telecaster custom 72 with rosewood fingerboard. I hated that humbucker!
    All my other Fender/Squier guitars have been good to very good.

4. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

I absolutely love my elite and will keep it for a future grandson, but the neck could be chunkier...

I'd move it but GC offered me less than half what I paid to use it on trade in and it's without a flaw!

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Squier Affinity telecaster and a Nashville Power Telecaster. They both sounded completely different from each other, and the Squier sounded even more different after I replaced the bridge and saddles.

I wasn't disappointed by either of these, because they were my only two telecasters and I had nothing else to compare them to.

6. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Proud frets? Are those like Proudfoots? (Proudfeet!)

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  7. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

I really tried to like MIJ CIJ Teles - had two paisleys and a Thinline. Lacking in everyway apart from looking good! Balsa wood feel, narrow neck, crappy electronics... literally felt cheap in every way.

8. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I've only owned one Tele & I loved it. There was one time I went into a music store & the clerk was really excited about a custom shop Tele he had just gotten in & wanted me to try it out. The guitar was really nice & I was looking forward to playing it. The neck was like the fat end of a baseball bat, totally unplayable for me.

9. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Of course, that's why I went to building my own, spray ( nitro only), level & crown, etc. I use to think that the Fender decal ment I was gonna get a quality 2k tele. MY last true Fenders were not worth 2k plus, that was 10 yrs ago. So with some help from some willing to teach techs and guys from here, I built 13 of the best T-styles,partscasters, custom builds. What ever it is someone wants to label em. I play, and gig em, not strum and polish or worry about how much I get back $$ wise. I will also buy some one elses builds knowing their build history. My first tele was a true 59 that my Father bought for me in 66 ( yep, im an old fart) and im sure that had its imperfection, but at that time and age I didn't know better nor care.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  10. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I love to repeat this truism ... Ten guitars come in sequence off the assembly line ... One or two are gems ... The next six are nothing special, but acceptable quality ... One or two are lemons/turds and should be avoided ...

11. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

Yup, actually still have it and currently have it listed on the local CL circuit. It's a Modern Player Plus and I just really could not bond with it for some reason. The neck felt great, which is usually what makes or breaks it for me, but the pine body weighs about 6 trillion pounds and it was my first foray into a 3 pickup setup since I put down the very first Squier Strat I borrowed from my uncle to learn on. I think I just don't care for 3 pickup guitars, maybe? Just couldn't quite get along with it.

12. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Totally agree....absolutely loved the girth of the neck, but just could not get used to the rolled edges. It didn't last long.

13. bb_matt

bb_matt Tele-Meister

Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    I'm not qualified to answer, as I've only recently got my first tele, but initially, it didn't measure up to my expectations because I set it up wrong when I changed the strings :D

Now I've got it setup right (with some help from folks on this here forum), the only thing that doesn't measure up to my expectations, is my playing - in my mind, I'm playing guitar like Hendrix/Townshend/Beck/Clapton (all at once). In reality, I'm playing guitar in a manner that doesn't displease people, but I suspect they are being polite :D

14. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

No..

because I try before I buy

15. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Teles that didn't match up to what I expected? Yeah, the CV Thinline I used to have (it's the one that's in my avatar photo). I was surprised that it had (what I considered to be) a ridiculously thin neck. That guitar barely lasted 2 or 3 weeks with me, before it went bye-bye.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  16. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

My buddy's actual, real, totally stock '52 is an absolute canoe paddle :) I still want it though lol

17. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

No, I’ve ordered 4 online and they have all been good. The last one, a used 7.25lb 50s Road Worn is unbelievably great.

I wish my #1, an American Special, was a half pound lighter but I play sitting so it doesn’t really matter.

18. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

I've had Teles from every decade, except 80's. And several reissues as well. I found reissues to be very consistant. As for vintage, ones from 1970's were wildly different from each other ..neck shape, weight, feel, looks ...each a different animal.

19. lewbypls

lewbypls NEW MEMBER!

Yup. I bought a performer telecaster sh model a few models ago. I played one in store for hours for a couple of weeks. I took one home and I dont play it at all. I don't know what it is. I love telecasters since I started with one. But I'm looking to get rid of it and see if I can find one I absolutely love.

20. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Noiseless pickups? There ya go. Yeah, some like them and will disagree but to me every one i have played including if not ESPECIALLY fender are horrible. personally i would not have expected any different. Add to that the modern bridge and it's ***IMO*** the perfect recipe for tele mediocrity.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.