1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever get a Real Telecaster that did not measure up to your expectations?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Skydog1010, May 3, 2019.

1. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    I have only had one that really disappointed, it was a MIM Nashville Deluxe with noiseless pickups. My gripes were body weight, neck issues with several frets being proud and the electrics being mud. The ONLY Fender Telecaster I just didn't want to rework to come up with a working solution.

Otherwise all my other failing grade TL experiments have been ultra cheap aftermarket solutions or project attempts.

Just wondering what others may have experienced.... here is a photo of my one and only Fender Telecaster disappointment ( it did come with a Mint Green Guard ) ... I must say, it is difficult to mess up a Tele IMHO.
    20170224_151155.jpg

Piggy Stu likes this.
  2. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Yes, all of them.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I tend to set expectations very high, so yes.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  4. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

"Ever get a Real Telecaster that did not measure up to your expectations?"

Not really, no. They are ALL fantastic. Some just fit me better than others...

5. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

it looks good, which is good enough for me to play it. sometimes it can be a bit of a battle, but it s called personnality. ;)

PetarA, Skydog1010 and Ripradiant like this.
  6. Floorockous

Floorockous TDPRI Member

I’ve played some that was better than others. But can’t say I’ve played a really bad one (Fender that is). Considering how many lower tier Gibsons I’ve played and be super disapointed with given their price tag.
    I think it’s a price thing:
    Squier Classic Vibe are some of (if not the best) in their price range. The same is true for MIM Fenders. If there have been any disappointments it must be at the other end - CS and vintage instruments not being any better than lower tier instruments.

7. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

its a legitimate question but is really self focused. I've run across many teles thru my decades that did not suit me, but they suited the owners ! They loved them !.

Pretty much the same with mine, some really like them a ton some don't like them at all as they are mostly 7.25 radius, small fast action fret boards.

Setup matters.

So although it's a valid question it's really only about what do we personally like or dislike.

A few weeks back a guy brought an original 65 Strat to a jam ( i've owned several of these thru the years) he loved it said it was the best he ever played, he asked me to play it, I did, I told him it was excellent ! >>> but in my mind it was maybe one of the worst I ever played , reminded me of the ones I owned way back which were very inconsistent. I didn't want to bust his bubble because at the end of the day my opinion doesn't much matter !

8. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

My 1970 Tel weighed a ton and was stiff to play. I sold it to a friend years ago, he had it refretted, now it plays better and sounds pretty good, but it's still a boat anchor.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  9. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

bought a mim Nashville and sent it right back, neck was too thin and pickups did not thrill me.

Skydog1010 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  10. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

I was a bit disappointed in my Roasted Ash 52 tele. The heavily rolled fretboard edges on an already narrow neck take some of the fun away. I’m always conscious of it when I play it. Everything else about the guitar is top notch though, so I put up with it for now.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Back around 2000 I bought a '95 US standard someone had modded with an LSR roller nut (not a problem, but also not necessary IMO) and Fender noiseless pickups. It was too heavy, and the tones from the PUs just didn't work for me. My next tele was an '09 MIM standard that was (and is) great. I've changed out the electronics for an Emerson 4-way kit and the pickups for Mojotone 52 clones, but even before the mods, it was a fantastic playing- and sounding- guitar.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  12. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

At a certain point, I feel like the feel.of the neck and weight set a precedent for how a tele is supposed to be, even subconsciously. You mess with that too much, especially if the pickups aren't normal or WR/S, it's just wrong.

My grandfather has had an old mustang he got in the early 80s for dirt. It took me forever to decide why I liked the feel of his more than mine when I bought mine. It came down to the body has slightly different contours, and having been obsessed with his for years, mine took getting used to.

But setup can make a $1200 fender feel n play like a $120 squire with smoother fret wire.

But there has to be lemon teles. Playing every one I can is the only way to know for sure I don't need a better one.

;)

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've had two Fenders - the first was an FSR Player's Tele with noiseless pickups and a Clapton boost. I had it for a year and liked it, but then someone showed me a Gretsch Rok Jet Limited Edition and I traded the Tele for it.

Two years ago I got a '68 Custom Tele from Norm's Rare Guitars. It was love at first sight, and it plays every bit as good as it looks. No disappointment at all. I'll keep this one until I'm old(er) and gray(er).

[​IMG]

- D

Tonetele, Mad Kiwi, Stubee and 8 others like this.
  14. sardinista

sardinista Tele-Meister

YES! I bought a brand new 2019 Fender Custom Shop Nocaster not too long ago that had a pretty significant axial twist in the neck (ordered online; couldn't inspect it first). It was such that when you adjusted the relief properly on the bass side of the neck, it was way too high on the treble side... like, unplayable high. The dealer gave me a full refund, minus return shipping, but I was surprised when they immediately relisted it (as brand new) as soon as they got it back, vs. sending it back to Fender. Bummer for whoever ends up with it next... :(

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  15. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

I only ever owned one, my current one...An Elite, and swapped the 4th gen noiseless for a set of CS TT's. I don't need another Tele.:)

16. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I had a Nashville that I didn't like the bridge, pickups and neck and also a 50's classic I didn't like the pickups and the frets so I sold them. Before spending on a reneck and pickups on them I just bailed. I also had a Squire Custom that weighed 8.8 lbs that I sold.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  17. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

My first electric was a MIJ Fender/Squier 52 style that I bought in 82. Looking back, I'm sure it was a fine guitar, but, after owning it for a couple of years, I traded it for a Takamine acoustic. Subsequently I've come to realize that I'm not a fan of Fender single coils or maple fretboards (I know. I know. But wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same. ) I hope it found a good home. At least now I have a Tele that suits my tastes.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  18. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

I had one of the first White Blonde Squier CVs that I really tried to like but didn't, so I sold it. More recently I bought a used 2004 U.S.A. Deluxe Telecaster that I didn't care for from the git-go. Didn't lose any money on it, though.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

had 50's blonde lacquer..anemic..got a squier afinity in a trade...ate that lacquer guitar up & spit it out..gave it to a handicapped gentleman (squier) it just was a good sounding guitar..filed frets & set it up..he was so happy..only time a tele ever brought joy to me

telemnemonics and El Tele Lobo like this.
  20. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Well, I expect whether it be Fender/Squier or anything else that I will be putting in my own pickups. However, I'm that way with all guitars of all brands, so that's a me problem more than anything else.

In that way most Fender guitars have lived up to expectations being as I didn't expect much. As long as I like the neck & the body resonates in a pleasing way, I'm good to go.

One factor that makes me less picky is that I never buy new anymore. New guitars always disappoint me.

The most disappointing new guitar I ever owned was an American Deluxe Strat. Noiseless pickups = Lifeless pickups IMO & the guitar in general had no soul.

A. It was very expensive (for me).

B. It was just too perfect.

leftyfrank and Skydog1010 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.