1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever find yourself going around in circles...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by srblue5, Apr 15, 2021.

1. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

...in the pursuit of tone?

I've noticed a pattern where I seem to spend a lot of time and money trying to get the sound or tone I want only to realize after a while that I had it all along or that it was right under my nose.

Let me see if I can explain myself better with a few examples.

I've recorded most of my gigs for several years and have noticed that months or years later while revisiting those recordings, sometimes what sounded average or not good at the gig is actually the sound I was looking for all along and I find myself wanting that sound again. This has happened several times over the years and sadly a few times after I've sold the gear I had that made those now-desirable sounds.

When I first bought my '65 PRRI, I thought my Boss Blues Driver was a bad match for it with a fizzy, harsh, trebly tone. I avoided that combination like the proverbial plague and spent a lot of money and time trying to find a relatively transparent overdrive pedal that went well with that amp (at least until I could crank the amp itself in a standalone house rather than an apartment). I found a few that sounded good but nothing that really satisfied what I was looking for. Recently, I pulled out the Blues Driver and thought I'd try it through the PRRI again. Same fizzy, harsh tone at first...until I twisted a few controls and THERE it was: the sound I've wanted all along.

Anybody else find the same thing, with going around in circles like that?

2. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I find myself going in circles less than I find myself trying to find the end of the tangle of rope. I’ve been through settings changes and an equalizer and finally the 5 watt amp setting. I think I’m at the end now. Please don’t tell me that I’ll be running in circles next.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

nope

I'm a big fan of "good enough"

Tele-friend and Dan German like this.
  4. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

No, but I often fly high like a bird up in the sky.

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Not any more. I gave up the pedals thing years ago and gave up going through a bunch of amps and different guitars because what really matters is not the gear--but what you do with it.

Collecting/flipping guitar gear is a hobby completely disconnected from actually playing guitar and making music. It has become an industry that feeds the obsessions of guitar players tryng to find that holy grail tone. But that tone can be had with cheap gear as well as high-dollar gear, and even when they find it, many players keep looking.

It all comes down to what makes you happy. If having one guitar and one amp is your thing, great. If flipping guitars and amps and having 50 stomp boxes makes you feel good--that great too.

6. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

Yeah, last year I found out about the show called "That Pedal Show" and JHS videos and I was thinking, OMG there are so many pedals that I have to buy! But after about a year of intense watching of youtube pedal demos I realiezed that it is mostly just a hyped up marketing thing with lots of buzz words and I completly lost all my interest in searching "the tone".

My main tone comes from my Boss BD2 pedal (always on pedal) and I am very happy with it.
    I was gassing for a klon type pedal to use it as a solo booster, but realized that my 30€ Boss SD-1 does the job.

7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

late 60's prog....fine stuff

8. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I have spent more money chasing tone over the years than I ever did on a car or a guitar! LOL!!! But for me it's the hunt that I enjoy, the learning process of what works for me and what doesn't, so it's all good ;) The education I've gotten over the years is priceless, that's how I look at it anyway.

9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Not sure if this is relevant to your case. But the worst sound is the sound the band hears on stage most of the time. It’s a mess. So when you record gigs from the board mix or even a mic in the middle of the space it should sound a lot better than what you hear on stage.

10. Oxidao

Oxidao Tele-Meister

I won't say 'running in circles' unless you get lost on the way, which doesn't seem to be the case.
    Back and forward once and again is my issue, but I'm happy with that.

To me it's hard to isolate what's going on when tweaking pedals, eq, Pickups, guitars, amps... so I can get a confident reading, but... It's so funny.
    I'm still in the "which compressor or none" stage. LOL

So another BD lover... hmmm
    I'm sure it's worth a try, but I've got 3 more Gain+ pedals I didn't fully tested yet. :cry:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.