Ever Figured Out A Song And Was Wrong?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by zimbo, Jul 22, 2010.

1. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

Keef looks like he fell into his tackle box with all those things hanging off his head.

2. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

No doubt, drop him in a minnesota or wisconsin lake and you got muskie bait! That is untill the fish sees what he's after and decides to head back to the deep!:D

3. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I worked out Led Zeppelin's Rainsong in standard tuning. Apparently it isn't. Coulda fooled me. No wonder it was so freakin difficult.

Ever tried to work out a Tommy Emmanuel song? You get to a certain point with your fingers twisting around each other, look up the TAB online and realise you're getting it right, and the guy's a freak.

SIMPLIFIED VERSION TIME!

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

:D

Keef scares away the muskie!

Love it!

5. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

I remember reading how the Stones got together in Toronto for rehearsals for the Steel Wheels tour and Mick and Keith were gathered around a pool table pouring over the sheet music for Brown Sugar, trying to remember how it went. At the time I thought "but you wrote it!". Now I understand.

As for the OP's question, there are so many weird versions of Tab floating around out there that I just end up playing what feels right anyway. Just because an artist played it one way doesn't mean I have to. More often than not I can't be bothered with capos and alternate tunings so I play it my way. Many times I figure out a chord and find out years later that I was off by one note. No big deal if the song still sounds good.

6. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

Man, I "figured out" dozens of Stones songs in standard tuning. All wrong, of course. The first time I played "Brown Sugar" in open G, it was a revelation.

7. Teleblaster1324

Teleblaster1324 Tele-Meister

Trying to figure out tunes and getting it wrong is where I come up with a lot of licks and ideas. Nothing wrong with interpreting a song your own way. In fact, you probably should put your own touches in the mix.

8. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

More often than I'd care to admit. Two immediately come to mind; "Tempted" by Squeeze and "Unfaithful Servant" by the Band. I learned both of these back before we had the internet and easy access to tabs. In one case I was corrected by the keyboard player and in the other by my conservatory trained (ouch!) younger brother. I guess I could have called the mistakes "my arrangement" but IMO, songs that good deserve to be played right.

9. Jimo

Jimo Tele-Afflicted

HAHAHAHA--That is exactly it!!!!-Tackle Box Hair!!!!--Look at his fingers, there are big bumps and knots where there don't supposed to be--looks a lot like "witch hands".......Cheers! That was Hilarious!.....................JIMO

10. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

There are two things possibly at play here.

Intent and Error.

I have learned songs by ear and had some wrong notes in there. When I finally learned the right notes, I also learned something new about music and how it's composed because most well written music has a good, solid foundation to it based on proper note selection.

So, if I make a mistake in learning the song, I'm not going to pat myself on the back for being original or playing my own version of the song. I'm going to correct it and learn from it. If I then find that I still like the way I played originally better, then I will "intentionally" go back to playing it that way but only after learning the original recorded version.

Error and Intent.

11. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

You are wrong Sir!
    You're not playing it "the wrong way".
    It is technically "your interpretation".
    And it's been done like that for as long as Folks have played Instruments.
    In Jazz it's name is IMPROVISATION. :cool:

12. Jimo

Jimo Tele-Afflicted

Yikes!

A fellow guitarist and myself were discussing how almost all the songs we played in our Teenage years---turned out to be incorrect. We decided because we were slowing down records on sub-standard record player..we weren't even HEARING the song correctly, much less replicating it correctly. oh well! JIMO:eek:

13. Broken Light

Broken Light Tele-Meister

Happens all the time to me, often it seems like a glaringly obvious mistake. However, just as often, the tabs and video are not quite right either. It evens itself out, or at least, I end up with a version composed of the 'parts I agree with'.

14. MikeS29

MikeS29 Tele-Meister

You oughta see me play Black Friday, Rikki Don't Loose that Number, Deacon Blues, and Kid Charlemagne.... I just make that $#!+ up! Sounds pretty good though. I doubt I could ever get them note-for-note, but I like to call it "adaptation."

15. Jackson Jackson

Jackson Jackson Friend of Leo's

Folk songs...

Some folk play 'em this way and some folk play 'em that way.

16. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

I still play Honkytonk Women in standard tuning, always have. Yeah I know it`s in open G, don`t care. I get compliments on my "Keef" riffs in that song too!

17. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Don't think I've ever played this in open G when playing a gig - it sounds just as good to my ears when played in standard tuning and certainly none of the punters listening to you will be able to tell the difference, I'm sure.

I was watching the Cream Reunion dvd last night and picked up my son's Epi Les Paul Junior to play along to 'Sunshine of Your Love' and noticed that EC played the main riffs in 2 different positions on the neck. I'd never thought of doing that and would never have picked that up from listening to the recording.

I find that watching live dvd's is a really useful way of learning from the masters/originators cos although you may be playing the right notes the feel and tone can be different dependent upon what position you're playing in on the neck and sometimes their way of playing it might be a lot easier than how you worked it out when listening to a record.

18. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I feel the same way about it.

19. hobbes007450

hobbes007450 Tele-Meister

+10000000

20. Casey Cook

Casey Cook Tele-Meister

Sometimes I figure out a song and it's just not quite right, and I'll check around for some tabs, and they're more wrong than I was lol. It seems like sometimes the same arrangement gets cross posted everywhere. YouTube is great, especially if the video has some decent shots of the guitar neck and hand positions.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.