Ever do any "weird" fan stuff?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I was reading the Lynyrd Skynyrd thread and googled the news stories of the time and saw a few relatively newer stories about the crash site being a bit of a destination for fans.

This got me to thinking about similar things like Jim Morrison's burial site among others.

Maybe people feel they are closer to these people in death than they ever could have gotten to them in life?

But anyway, as far as people that you are a fan of, living or dead, ever done any weird fan stuff to get close to them or express your fandom?

2. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

Got an autograph once. Bassist Dave Pegg. That's it.

brbadg likes this.
  3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My roomate in college had an old 1915 fan that was missing a bunch of the grills. He turned it on high, and threw an Oreo into it in a beer induced state of curiosity.

It made toner. Everywhere.

Wait - wrong kind of fan?

4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Body passed Eddie Vedder. Heck, I was in the (very safe) "mosh pit" so how could I not help as he was floating by? Amazing. They booked our college just before Alive hit MTV. Great show.

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  5. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My wife is a big Stones fan. We've had this conversation (I don't remember the specifics):

Her: I want to go to (some city in Canada) and go to (some bar).
    Me: Why?
    Her: The Stones have played there to warm up for a tour.
    Me: Will the Stones be there?
    Her: No.
    Me: Then why do you want to go?
    Her: Because Mick and Keith stood on the stage.
    Me: And? So?
    Her: I can stand on the same spot the Stones stood!
    Me: And? So?​

and it continues from there.

I guess celebrity is lost on me. This has also come up when I've been out of town:

Her: That was [celebrity name] that just passed us.
    Me: Who?
    Her: You know, from [some show / event].
    Me. OK. So?
    Her: They are famous!
    Me: So?
    Her: You were right by them!
    Me: So? Does that make me famous or a better person?
    Her: But...​

and it continues from there.

Some of the Stones friends pay top dollar to sit up front and do a meet-and-greet, which is:
    • You get a lanyard
    • You get to hang out with others who paid top dollar in a room back stage after the show
    • You get to stand in line
    • You get to stand next to a Stone for 5 seconds while someone takes a picture
    • You get to pay to keep a copy of the picture.
    No talking, discussions, asking about how anything was recorded, just a cattle herding with a picture. I guess I don't get the attraction.

Yeah, I guess celebrity is lost on me.

6. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I got nothing....:( Been around a few celebrities in my life, but try not to be a dork.

xafinity likes this.
  7. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Would this meet the criteria?

brbadg and joeman335td like this.
  8. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

We played a show in Northampton MA where Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore lived. The girl we stayed with knew their nanny and where they lived. It was about a mile from her house. We thought it would be a good idea to walk over there and drop off a CD with a note on their porch. We worked our way through a case of brews and headed over. When we got there, the girl we were with walked up to the front door and just rang the bell. We hadn't intended on a formal introduction, but there we were. The nanny came to the door, and Kim and Thurston's dog ran out on the front porch. Kim was in the kitchen and popped her head out to see who it was. The girl chatted with the nanny for a few minutes while we pet the dog. Then we passed off a CD to the nanny and excused ourselves.

Mildly embarrassed by the whole situation, but we really hadn't intended on intruding on their night, just wanted to drop off a disc.

I also once told Will Oldham that I "really like all of your records, maaaaaan" when he showed up to a gig that we played with Cat Power. We were both out of our skulls, so it probably barely registered for him.

william tele likes this.
  9. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

SHIDOOBEE!

xafinity likes this.
  10. Frank'n'censed

This is as close as I got...once did a portrait of Muddy Waters on a T-shirt & had Johnny Winter autograph it. He wanted more of them!

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I was once in an audience section that had the aisle cordoned off so you couldn't touch a visiting dignitary as he walked by. I was in an aisle seat, we all stood up as he walked down the aisle, of course I patted him on the shoulder as he went by. What else could I do? Everyone in my party was aghast. My hand tingled.

12. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

I usually do the typical "Good show...I'm a big fan..." fare that I know most big acts hate. If I get the chance, I'll go for a hand-shake, like I did with the entire band Emerson Drive, as well as Ted Nugent.

13. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

That sounds worse than a kidney stone!

Joe Sailor likes this.
  14. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Patti Boyd came to my area to give a show of her photographs (also Henry Diltz, who was excellent BTW). Now,
    my favorite guitarist are Duane Allman, Eric Clapton and George Harrison. My favorite song, and IMHO, the holy grail of rock songs is "Layla".
    What do they all have in common? Patti Boyd. I had to go. I think autographs are silly, but I consider this one to be more the completion of a work of art - a gestalt perfection.

The real Layla

[​IMG]

And boys, she looked damn good from the 5th row - wicked sense of humor as well. She was intrigued with the Layla songbook - called it "lovely".

15. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]
    Not really creepy fan stuff but when I was in Minneapolis a while back I went by the old Stinson place on my way to have a cold one at CC Club.
    [​IMG]

16. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

When I was s a dumb teenager Yngwie and his current Rising Force band actually gave me their home address and said we could drop by or write anytime. My buddy and I went to LA, stayed at my uncle's house and for a couple of days went over to his place. Just walked up, knocked on the door, waited a few. His girlfriend at the time opened the door and said "here to see Yngwie?" and we just said "yep". He came out, let us in. Sat down at the coffee table and played for a few hours and talked with us. Asked if I wanted to play his guitars, then went in the other room to write so we followed him in. He was working on Trilogy at the time. Then we watched a couple of horror movies. We went back the next day and did the same thing, this time with the band guys coming in and out.

These days that would seem like such a home invasion to me, just some random fans coming over and hanging at my house all day, lol. Then again he had all his hand guns out at the time time and was showing them to me. I took pics too. He had no problem with it. For all that people say about him he was super cool to some kid coming by (we were all kids now that I think of it).

But it's kinda weird in retrospect.

radiocaster, jimash, AJ Love and 5 others like this.
  17. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. No cops, but there probably should have been. Sorry about that, Annette!

18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Whenever we visit my sister in law who lives in Manhattan I have to walk past the Dakota Apartments and lament the death of John Lennon. I walk right past the spot and it makes me sad. Then I cross the street and sit by the Imagine mosaic and watch all the people gathered there. I love the mosaic.

I'm not the only one.

xafinity, trev333 and william tele like this.
  19. Frank'n'censed

Never mind Augusta, who was the dignitary?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. Frank'n'censed

I took this photo on April 3, 2007, while
    visiting NYC...

2016-10-21-21-48-18.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    xafinity and studio1087 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.