Ever create a time capsule?

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
When my wife and I added on to our house (extension and second story), they put in a pretty thick slab. Before it was poured, we got some pictures, couple dollars and change, newspaper front page, a couple picks and we recorded a CD discussing the history of the house, when we got it, what we did to it etc. Wrapped it in plastic and put it in a tin box and placed it where the slab would be poured. Been there. 20 years now.

Anybody else done this?

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I mentioned it in another thread. My Dad did it every time he added-on to his house. We even uncovered one of his "paint can" capsules when we demoed some steps he built 20 years before adding on a new garage.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
When we did a facelift on a 1928 kitchen, I put dates on pieces of the original counter tile under the bottom drawer of all the cool, built-in cabinetry.

Rustbucket

Poster Extraordinaire
I have not, but have enjoyed coming across cool vintage newspapers found in the walls during renovations. As a teen working with my father on an 1890’s house in Phoenix, we found and read newspapers from the 1910’s stuffed inside walls for insulation. More recently, we’ve found 1960’s ads in the kitchen walls of one of our Québec rentals from when an addition was constructed.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
When we replaced some hardwood flooring that was damaged we signed and dated the subfloor. Someone might uncover that some day.

Not really the same, but when I bought a vintage bicycle from 1949 it had a rack attached. The tubes were wrapped in leather where it attached to the bicycle's rear triangle. Underneath the leather I found strips of newspaper that, when unrolled, could still be easily read. That rack was installed when the bike was new judging from a date on the newspaper.