Ever collected items hoping they would gain value later?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hey_you, Jun 29, 2020 at 5:45 PM.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yet the market for Chinese fake antiques is strong due to the age of most of that stuff.
    Like late '70s Fender guitars being lumped into the vintage market, lots of Victorian era repro Chinese fakery is desirable and actually valuable.
    Same with stuff like fake Windsor chairs and fake Stickley oak furniture.
    Old good fakes sell for a lot of money, no dishonesty required.
    To my thinking, used selling prices above the cost of a new import repro is the basics of collector value.

Some fake Strad violins are worth $X000's because they were fine instruments 100 years ago when factory made in Germany meant a bunch of good fiddle makers in the same room, but with no particular family name to sell under.

For that matter, in D'Angelico's shop, the apprentice/ workers sometimes were allowed to finish a reject from a run and sell them without the D'A name.
    Next came his workers going out on their own like D'Aquisto, who later became a big name after being a nobody.

As the years go by a lot becomes valuable because it was formerly viewed as "worthless", so nobody saved the stuff.
    Depression glass/ milk glass/ Avon bottles/ old milk bottles etc.
    Never unwrapped toys seems big in the speculation game, and I ripped apart lots of now collectible mechanical robot toys circa 1964.
    Even unwrapped and rusty is valuable, which collectors now sort of fake valuate, speculating on one to five year old toys by selling them to each other as if the stuff had actual value.

Some goes up and some goes down.
    I got stuck selling a Hummel figurine collection for another owner; this was well established collector product with years of print documentation and easily traced production dates etc.
    Really hard to sell and worth far less than book value, once the NYC vicinity collectors were polled and responded.

Hey_you likes this.
  2. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

Silver

Hey_you likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

I've bought and sold three or four '50s leather motorcycle police jackets paying around $50, bought to wear and worn until a random stranger offered me cash on the street.
    Several times I went home without a coat in NYC winter, but with $200 extra cash.
    Try to sell them to a vintage shop that hangs them up at $600 though, not the best return there.

Bomber jackets (AKA"flying jackets"?) seem to have some value but are more common I guess, and also more faked over the years, often OEM fakes for the consumer market.
    Bought and sold some of the more pop black leather combat boots too, the ones with zippers used to be bigger bucks until the flood of OEM consumer versions hit.

I think I've even bought NOS versions for $20, worn them out, then made a profit on the worn out hip making tools for some wannabe hip person. Now I just don't feel the urge to wear black leather stuff.
    Or bomber jackets, which were sort of cool maybe in the late '70s?

4. telemnemonics

Reminds me of my copper collection.
    Never pay for it though aside from storage.
    Harder to find scrap buyers now, used to sell copper and car batteries at any of five scrap yards less than 15 miles drive.
    Most are gone now.

Maybe that's a good thing, used to be common for summer folks to return in spring and find the plumbing was cut out of their cottage by marauding scrap collectors.
    Replacement cost far exceeds value there!

5. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Meister

Not deliberately, but vacumm tubes, vinyl, and slotcars have all sold pretty well.

As mentioned, timing is everything.

Powwerzombie and Hey_you like this.
  6. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have accumulated a LOT of items over the years in hopes of them increasing in value....mutual fund shares. And they have.....

Hey_you likes this.
  7. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have 2 copies of The Oregonian newspaper. One is a special edition dated 9-11-2001, the other is from the twelfth. Both are heat sealed in plastic & I kept them more as a historical artifact rather than something of monetary value.

8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

An ex-girlfriend of mine back in the late 1990's got into this Beanie Baby kick, where she would buy the stupid things for $40, sometimes $50 a piece, and drive up to an hour to get them. Some of them were "retired" so they cost more.

I'm guessing she had several hundred dollars worth of these things. She had them in little display cases, etc. I don't know what they are worth now, but my guess is that they're worth pretty close to nothing.

To be fair, she wasn't putting out, all she did was sit around smoke cigarettes and watch TV all day, and talk to her cats. So I guess she needed some kind of enjoyment.

9. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

I've collected, bought and sold antique advertising signs, toys, and petroliana for about 30 years.

News Flash: About 99.9% of the "Vintage, Old, and Rare," porcelain signs sold on eBay are fakes and reproductions. It's amazing all the old and "Rare" signs these dealers find, week after week. :rolleyes: This includes most Fender and Gibson clocks, signs, etc.

Hey_you likes this.
  10. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I had 4 or 5 boxes of 50's baseball cards, which my parents threw away when I was away at college. I still have a bunch of proof sets my grandfather bought for us kids each year for a while. They might be worth a little more than face value.

These days, I invest mainly in groceries and electricity. They don't ever go up in value, but I get to enjoy my investment immediately.

Hey_you likes this.
  11. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

i don't collect anything but i was left some very desirable decoys.

Hey_you likes this.
  12. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, I have bought things with an eye toward their value increasing. Turns out the things I think are valuable are not valuable to other people. So,... meh.

Hey_you likes this.
  13. johnnycnote

johnnycnote TDPRI Member

I finally sold my 200 shares of Apple in 2007 at $20/share and I thought I killed it. :lol::lol::lol::lol::cry:

Hey_you and fretWalkr like this.
  14. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

The only thing I had when I was growing up in the 60's that I thought would appreciate in value is comics. I knew the books from the 40's were valuable so I held on to the ones that I bought at the local drug store. They call them Silver Age comics now and the early Marvel books in good condition are in demand. Mine are fair condition so not a big jackpot. But I look at it an good turnaround for a 10 cent investment.

BTW I kept them in a Super Reverb box and stored it at my mom's. Through many years and many moves she hung on to them for me. I really need to thank her for that now that I think about it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 5:18 PM
    Hey_you likes this.
  15. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Back in the early 90's, my son used to collect baseball cards. While in a store with him one time, a Hank Aaron Hologram card caught my eye, so I bought it for $ 10. It's worth about $ 1.50 now.

On another note, in the 70's, I bought a used 61 Fender Precision for $ 200. It's worth quite a bit more than that now.

Hey_you likes this.
  16. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I collect memories...

Then I forget ...

And have to get new ones ..
    I need more storage space ....

Hey_you and johnnycnote like this.
  17. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Meister

I may have told this story before, forgive me if I have.

Back in the 60s my paternal grandfather was the BBC's Chief Engineer for radio. That afforded him certain privileges, shall we say, such as bringing home enough broadcast quality tubes and other electronic bits and pieces for both sons to build their own DIY hifis.

Another privilege was that he got to sit in on the recording sessions when the "popular beat combos" of the day, unknown acts like the Rolling Stones, The Who, those sort of no-hopers, came into the BBC, recorded a few songs off their forthcoming long-players, which the BBC would then broadcast on the Light Channel on Saturday afternoons.

The sessions were usually recorded on a BBC broadcast quality 8-track with a domestic 1/4-inch 4-track tape as a backup. If the 8-tracks were okay, the 4-tracks were supposed to be destroyed.

They weren't.

My grandfather used to bring them home for my dad.

In 1968, my dad got a job on the island of Jersey (the one New Jersey is named after). While my mum was packing up the house for the move, she decided those old tapes weren't worth anything and left them out with the trash.

18. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a bomber jacket in my closet. It is a repop style. I like it.

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a box of 1960s comic books from when I was ten to twelve years old. I had a full paper ream box of DC Comics mostly because that is what I liked. My daughter and her husband started collecting new comics. I gave it to her. I am sure some had some value I had from Batman, Superman, Action Comics, Adventure (Legion of Superheroes, etc. I thought she would like it so gave it to her. No regrets it is fun for those who are into it.

20. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

No.

Hey_you likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.