Ever collected items hoping they would gain value later?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hey_you, Jun 29, 2020.

1. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I sold the #1 & #3 transformer toys for $1500. $12.00 investment. But to be honest I bought them for my kid and he wanted GI Joe stuff. Pulled them out of a closet many years later and looked online to see what they were worth.

Hey_you likes this.
  2. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

I once found a copy of Catcher In The Rye in the trash, it was in good shape and still had Salinger's photo on the dust jacket. (He had it removed after the second or third printing.)

That one did OK on eBay.

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

My wife and I used to have an antique business, so yes. I don't know if it was collecting so much as flipping for profit though. Other than furniture, we primarily sought out mid-century wall and mantle clocks and tobacciana. We still have a few pieces around that might get sold at some point.

Hey_you likes this.
  4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My mother in law was a collector. Maybe she was a hoarder. I've posted about her toilet paper fort when the pandemic struck. "Edie" collected stamps, jewelry, commemorative coins, Franklin mint anything, Hummel and Lladro figurines, old china, and old newspapers. Newspapers had stories about the Kennedy assassination, the moon landings, Nixon's resignation, the Andrea Doria which sank off Long Island in the 1950's. The stuff had to be distributed or discarded when she died. One figurine is enough. My youngest son took the stamps and hasn't opened the album once. The stamps can't be sold because no one collects them anymore. The plates and commemorative coins went in the dumpster with what was left of the toilet paper fort and the contents of the basement pantry that got its start when the Russians were coming. Out went 100 handbags and 200 shoes. Jewelry was divided among the family. Most of it looked dated and was sold for what it weighed. We have a $40,000 diamond necklace "designed" for her in a vault. It can't be sold as a piece because it's hideous looking and the stones are mostly over sized baguette cuts that can't be used without being cut down. There was too much of everything to toss in the casket.

My point is that if you want to collect, collect for yourself. My mother in law enjoyed HAVING all her stuff. Don't collect for investment because you'll never sell it for what it's worth to you and if you collect enough of it, it will wind up in the dumpster when you die. As for me, my Telecaster comes with me. My FCS Strat and Mesa Boogie amp go to my grandson. He's three now but will grow into it. His mother insists on a quiet house so I guess the gift to my grandson is as much a gift to her as to him.

5. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

That's not an investment, but I appreciate the attitude :)

I remember when the bank actually paid out interest... those were the days.

tintag27, Hey_you, Wobbles and 2 others like this.
  6. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I happen to think there is a certain, how you say je ne sais quo, um, esthetic cultural forecasting required for successful collections.

For example, I think my collection of Dead Stuff I Found on the Beach was perhaps too obscure and not nearly as successful as my Roadkill Collection- a pungent and plangent reminder of human damage to the faunasphere.

I think I probably hit my peak with the Barf Bags of Bankrupt Airlines.

But if life is short, well, sometimes it’s long, too and I may be ripe for a comeback.

tintag27 likes this.
  7. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Because of my chosen profession, mechanic, I have a large collection of hand tools. They hold their value well.
    I collect the odd HotWheels, when one catches my eye. Some I have left in original packaging.
    I do own a collectible rifle, which I inherited from my father. It is worth several hundred dollars.

Hey_you and nojazzhere like this.
  8. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

My grandmother got me started collecting pennies when I was about 7 years old. She gave me a sack of old pennies she had laying around that had coins from 1857 to 1945 in it. I bought display books for the pennies, organized them and started collecting current (at the time) pennies to add to my collection; all the time thinking that when I grew up those pennies would be worth a lot of money. Well, I still have those coins and they're priceless to me in terms of the memories I have of my grandmother and the fun I had learning about and collecting those pennies, but the whole collection probably has a current value of about $200.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

No, in fact I’ve bought stuff for pretty cheap and sold it off too quickly without making a profit only for it to be much more valuable years later.

Had a JCM800 that I bought for $500 when I was first getting into tube amps about 17 years ago. They typically go for at least twice that now.

Baseball cards got lost in one of my many moves at some point. I don’t think I had any valuable ones....

I just buy stuff I like and keep what I like. Hopefully my 401k has better luck with increasing in value.

Hey_you likes this.
  10. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, you wanna buy some Beanie babies? (kidding) Do albums count?

Hey_you and nojazzhere like this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

In the early nineties, I worked with a guy whose daughters collected Beanie Babies, from McDonalds. He told me he wouldn't let them open the packages, that they're more valuable that way. I kinda asked if he expected to get rich or something? He replied no, not rich.....but they should pay for his kid's college educations. ;)
    Can you even GIVE Beanie Babies away today? McDonalds only gave away about a JILLION of them.......

12. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Seeds.

13. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I think I still have my Pokémon cards from the late 90’s early 2000’s

Some of them are actually worth some okay money

But no, I never really bought anything expecting the value to rise because usually it doesn’t except for some specific things

Hey_you likes this.
  14. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Always been a collector since childhood and still am .... over the years, coins, stamps, US President milk bottle caps (remember those?), comic books, sports cards, records, books, matchbooks, guitars, amps etc. .... in nutshell what I've seem is the majority of these things that got to be worth quite eye-opening amounts at various times have largely plummeted or at least declined ... Baseball cards being a case in point, the industry and collecting interest exploded in the 80's and 90's, lots of those cards hit really high values, and now dealers don't even want to see anything post-70's, it's worth pennies save for a very few items. O' course I'm one of those who when my parents moved, they threw out all sorts of my things including a full big drawer full of 60's baseball cards, full set of Beatles cards, various autographs like Satchel Paige that I got myself, boxes of early years Marvel and DC comics, etc. .... ah well, water under the bridge!

Edit: to answer the OP's question, no was never buying these things thinking about future possible values, except for the later sports cards and some of the guitars/amps.

Hey_you likes this.
  15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I regularly miss opportunities of appreciation. Many amps or guitars I had that I thought really weren't that desirable, or had maxed out on price, doubled in price in 5 years or so. You just never know I guess.
    I'm good at that! I sell stock before much appreciation too!

Controller likes this.
  16. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My practice has been to buy high and sell low. It's worked for me so far...

I can relate to the guy on Antiques Roadshow where they say "It wasn't made in China during the Ming dynasty, it was made in Hong Kong during the 1970s. It's worthless!"

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    telemnemonics likes this.
  17. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

20190306_175204.jpg
    Some may have seen this picture of my button/badge collection. Everything you see here collectively is worth approximately $1600.00!! With the Flamin' Groovies button being worth approximately $500.00. It's the yellow button with the big white smile. Many of the buttons being in the $20-$35.00 range. I'm still collecting and have another 25 or so that I've yet to make room for. I'm excited about the two Kursaal Flyers buttons that just arrived from the UK!!
    20170908_120724-1.jpg
    Don't ask what I paid for them!! I'm a huge fan of " Pub Rock " and have a decent collection.

RJ

tintag27, Hey_you and tubegeek like this.
  18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Stuff I want to keep goes up in value.
    Investments for profit?

I was an antique dealer for a while but never used the long term storage theory.
    The problem with the collectibles market is that stuff only has value if lots of people WANT stuff there's no actual need for.
    If I was going to "invest" in stuff, expecting the value to increase, I'd start with real estate, followed by real estate and as a last resort turn to real estate.

Of course applying the buy low sell high principle means don't buy at a market peak like so many did in the real estate boom.
    Odd that folks do that sort of thing, but folks will be folks...

Hey_you likes this.
  19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Over a decade ago my folks gave me back a box of misc stuff I had as a kid including two old metal lunch boxes. One was an old cylinder top with graphics like stickers on a traveling suitcase and the second a well beat up "relic" H R Puff-n-Stuff I had been given as a hand-me-down from my cousins that I used that all through elementary school. It was practical but I never liked it, not fond of the show at the time which had been off the air for a few years by then -- I knew it was uncool but it's what we had. Anyway that one hit a lunch box collector wave and I shipped that out along with the generic one to another collector buyer.

I have some old Star Wars cards I traded for back in the 70s. One of the things I did was kept a small stack of the pack wrappers too, figuring those would be scarce eventually. Those turned out to be pretty valuable, more so than a lot of the cards. However, the most recent movies in that franchise killed much of the potential interest and value for all that old stuff. My son makes much more money flipping Magic The Gathering cards (he knows that market like a stock broker) than the old collection I have is worth. They store fairly compactly.

Hey_you likes this.
  20. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I have had a career dealing with the bankruptcies of other people and liquidating their estates. Mostly anyone who thought they were buying for enhanced value in objects got it wrong and picked the lemon

The few things that were big hits would have been hard to guess, but I would say they were produced in fine quality by people with a passion in limited number

It has taught me that I do not think I can guess the future better than market price, and buy expecting no appreciation in value

Ideally I buy used, mint condition, and pay cash for something fine but unfashionable. Most things I buy I eventually sell for more than I paid, but not astounding figures, and I am always prepared for total write off

Hey_you, telemnemonics and JL_LI like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.