Ever change pickups only to change back?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by chris m., Dec 14, 2019.

1. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I had an H-H Strat with two Dimarzio Freds in it. Liked it, and the splitcoil sounds were good, too. But I wanted Strat quack. I ordered an HSH pickguard but an SSH pickguard showed up. Rather than send it back I wired it up with some Strat pickups I had in a drawer. It sounds good but I’m thinking I liked it better before. Maybe I’ll order an HSH guard or maybe I’ll just put it back like it was...

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. Replaced the stock humbuckers in my G&L Tribute Asat deluxe because I found them too dark. Put in some Toneriders and found them too bright with too little output - even though I like them in a different guitar.

Put the originals back in the G&L and learned to like them ok. But I'd still prefer a little more sparkle in them. Darned good guitar, though.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Ibanez style guitar with a Aspen body. I put 2 old Mighty Mite HB's in it and it sounded great. Later I got a Basswood Strat body painted my favorite color and switched everything over. It didn't sound as good as it did before, just okay.

4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, more times than I care to think about.

8trackmind likes this.
  5. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I replaced the neck and bridge pickups in my AmStd Strat with some DiMarzio Area pickups. They were ok but just didnt quite do it . Went back to stock but with a cap change. THAT was what it needed all along

Zepfan likes this.
  6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

With my tele I played the originals for a while, then tried two sets from a small boutique maker on the forum (good pickups), and then from a different set from a more well known boutique pickup maker. At that point it felt right: my telecaster was as good as it was going to get and I haven't changed anything since.

On my Les Paul, I almost immediately installed a set of German paf copies I had lying about. Sounded perfect, haven't changed since.

With my strat, I used the stock pickups for a while, then a boutique German set that was good, but not quite right, then I put two of the original pickups back, while keeping the German bridge pickup, and played that for a while. Then I tried a set from the same forum pickup maker, then back to the originals, then back to the forum guy's pickups after a few years...
    As you can tell, I haven't bonded with my strat in quite the same way.

To me at least, pickups have a big impact on how musical a guitar feels. When it's right I feel it: it doesn't have to be a particular sound I want, but it has to be musical. Sometimes it takes some experimenting, including going back to what you had before, to figure out what you liked and didn't like...

7. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Yep, had a FujiGen P90 gold top. I figured I couldnt go wrong with Lollars. The original japanese PUs sounded better to me and went back in.

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sure, it’s really the only way to make a comparison once we get past the clueless pickup buying and start getting really close to what we want.
    I recently pulled a 65 RI JM pickup from a Strat and dropped in a modern player pickup IIRC with the taller bobbin but about the same coil resistance.
    I’m not sure I like it as well and may swap back or it may go in the next JM routed thinline Tele build.
    Same deal where I was changing the guard and swapped the pickup too, figure once it’s apart I might as well change more than one thing.
    Here though I routed a blank guard for a single JM bridge pickup and single volume.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m not sure I’ve ever left in any pickups that came in a guitar!
    My LP has the pickups I got it with but it was a a Deluxe later routed for full size HBs.

mgreene likes this.
  10. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Yes. It was called the 80s.

SheldonP likes this.
  11. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Yup

12. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

I put a Schecter tele replacement set in my '52 AVRI. These are drop-in ready with a neck PU mounted on a pickguard and bridge PU mounted with its own bridge. PUs are push pull giving me tele or P-90 output levels. I've used it since the 70s and it's has been on 3 gigging teles over the years. The Schecters still sound good I know them really well but I really wanted that 50s blackguard sound. So I put the stock PUs back in and I won't touch the AVRI PUs again. Other than a real vintage I don't think I could better than the stock PUs.

13. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Sure.

14. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Nope, no second chances here. If I dislike them enough to replace them, they're gone forever.

15. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I have never changed pickups.

:)

16. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Changed bridge pickup on a used Epiphone SG and it sounded worse than the original. A piece of junk balsa wood IMO but I needed something really light-weight due to a back injury.

Sold it for $20 less than it cost me when my back problem cleared then sold the pickup and lost another $50 to move it out fast. Am back to my boat-anchor Les Paul Custom.

17. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

In my case I might go back because I loved the pickups but thought I’d prefer SSH over HH configuration.

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Yep! Am doing so soon. I built a " Blackie"out of two beat up strats from a pawnshop. i put Kent Armstrong ceramic magnets in it. The guitar sang and screamed, all good. Then put some Tonerider set in and now am going back to KA's pickups.

19. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Try a mini-toggle for series/parallel on the 2 singles first. I have a SSH type(HB bridge and single in middle and neck), didn't like the singles alone or together in parallel so I wired the 2 singles together in series as a HB and they sound awesome now. One of the best neck HB tones I've heard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.