Ever call anyone out on Craigslist?

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
So this morning I was going through my local craigslist looking of course at musical instruments when I ran across an ad for a beginners epiphone with gibson case and the seller also stated he would throw in a free pick and a strap for only $700 emailed the guy and called him out as he was blatantly trying to screw someone needless to say he responded with the usual curses. I just didn't want to see some kid get screwed by the guy or something. Anyone else ever call out someone like that?
I feel confident that I will never do that

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
Not usually, but I did run across someone on Reverb selling a 15 year old stock MIK PRS SE for $1300 that sold for $500 brand new. It was pretty cool so I offered him $350 and told him that I thought it was a fair price considering the age and it was a mass market import line guitar. Lots of cursing and so forth ensued from there, all very predictable of course. I don't think he changed the price or anything, his business not mine.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
So this morning I was going through my local craigslist looking of course at musical instruments when I ran across an ad for a beginners epiphone with gibson case and the seller also stated he would throw in a free pick and a strap for only $700 emailed the guy and called him out as he was blatantly trying to screw someone needless to say he responded with the usual curses. I just didn't want to see some kid get screwed by the guy or something. Anyone else ever call out someone like that?
Well there is a jack arse on Phoenix Craigslist advertising Groove tubes as NOS. I asked him to stop, but he knows more thatn me. Here is his response>>>
they are new old stock tubes

look at the packaging, Fender bought Groove Tube 14 years ago

most of my tubes predate that. some to the 80’s and 90’s

cheers

Yes Sovtech & Chinese 80's & 90's

TomBrokaw

Tele-Meister
I flag all the time based on my particular criteria, but I never email someone about stupid ads. I have emailed a couple of people who didn't know what they were selling - one guy had an 80s-vintage guitar synth so I just told him the model and he took it from there. Another was selling a Tascam 424 for $60 "because it squeaks", I just pointed out that the prices for those are a lot higher on Reverb.

I flag ads that irritate me:
Stores/dealers posting in the For Sale By Owner section, including amateur resellers
Changing a couple things about the ad and reposting it multiple times
$0 in the price field and then put the price in the body.
Posting from outside the area, eg LA or Yuma items in San Diego
Deleting the ad every day just to top-post it

Yeah I'm the CL police, but if it makes my experience better, it's worth it to me

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic

Capt Save a Hoe.

Dont waste your time. It's useless.

tele_savales

Tele-Afflicted
I flag posts that are in the wrong forum. And I occasionally perform a public service by letting people know their description is incorrect, they don’t know what they have and what the fair market value is. I’ve also directed people w cherry items to post them here or on the Marshall forum to avoid the weasels on CL. I usually get positive responses.
There’s a guy with not one but Two 70’s Hiwatt 100’s in NYC Craigslist for 5k each if anyone is interested.

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I haven’t felt the need to.call anyone out.
There are plenty of CL police in my area

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
No, but I've advised some people who clearly had no idea that the item they were selling was valuable that they should ask more. I don't like to see people who don't know what they have get ripped off by some reseller.

Zoso420

Tele-Holic
I did it to a guy on reverb selling a sterling axis "musicman's import line" for like 3k. He had it listed wrongly as a EVH. I asked why he was asking that much for a $400 guitar and he said it has sentimental value.

stepvan

Tele-Afflicted
I flag all the time based on my particular criteria, but I never email someone about stupid ads. I have emailed a couple of people who didn't know what they were selling - one guy had an 80s-vintage guitar synth so I just told him the model and he took it from there. Another was selling a Tascam 424 for $60 "because it squeaks", I just pointed out that the prices for those are a lot higher on Reverb.

Stores/dealers posting in the For Sale By Owner section, including amateur resellers

Yeah I'm the CL police, but if it makes my experience better, it's worth it to me
Well I am glad I am not alone, normally I would have just been ok pal whatever and left it at that never contacting the seller but his ad was just so condescending as I already have said his line about throwing in one free pick your choice of color just triggered me. After his hate filled email filled with expletives he took his post d
Not usually, but I did run across someone on Reverb selling a 15 year old stock MIK PRS SE for $1300 that sold for $500 brand new. It was pretty cool so I offered him $350 and told him that I thought it was a fair price considering the age and it was a mass market import line guitar. Lots of cursing and so forth ensued from there, all very predictable of course. I don't think he changed the price or anything, his business not mine.
Sounds like the same guy

stepvan

Tele-Afflicted

Well I am glad I am not alone, normally I would have just been ok pal whatever and left it at that never contacting the seller but his ad was just so condescending as I already have said his line about throwing in one free pick your choice of color just triggered me. After his hate filled email filled with expletives he took his post d
Were you successful? Did the seller see the error of his ways and either take down or change his listing?
Actually yes he did take it do

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
As long as people aren't misrepresenting an item (say a partscaster as a Fender Custom Shop guitar) I'm of the opinion they can charge whatever they want. I haven't looked at CL for ages but I found the clutter of useless "To the guy selling the xxx" posts and memes really annoying. Those posts I'd flag.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
I hate when someone posts commenting on another person's post on Craigslist. The only time I think it is acceptable is when there is outright fraud or deception.

CL is a marketplace, so things sell for exactly what they are worth or below what they are worth. If an item is overpriced it will not sell. If an item is fraudulent or misrepresented, then it should be reported. Other than that, people should be free to ask whatever price they think they can get. It is so annoying watching someone's hubris in full display when they somehow think that their viewpoint and sensibility ought to be accepted by everyone else.

Buy the item or don't buy the item. Those are the choices.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I got called out for trying to sell a Squier Strat for $120 once. The dude contacted me and wanted to give me $50 for it. I declined and then he shot me a bunch of texts telling me that I have it overpriced. Then when I sold it for almost $120 he put a CL ad telling people to avoid me since I would not negotiate...
Sometimes the trolls will find you.

flathd

Poster Extraordinaire
I never have, but you ever seen the TV commercials where the window/kitchen install companies advertise "Free Labor"?

Someone should be reporting them, right?

stepvan

Tele-Afflicted
I hate when someone posts commenting on another person's post on Craigslist. The only time I think it is acceptable is when there is outright fraud or deception.

CL is a marketplace, so things sell for exactly what they are worth or below what they are worth. If an item is overpriced it will not sell. If an item is fraudulent or misrepresented, then it should be reported. Other than that, people should be free to ask whatever price they think they can get. It is so annoying watching someone's hubris in full display when they somehow think that their viewpoint and sensibility ought to be accepted by everyone else.

Buy the item or don't buy the item. Those are the choices.
You did not interact with the CL seller I did so don't turn this into a "I hate it when" post. But whatever think what of me as you will ....

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
You did not interact with the CL seller I did so don't turn this into a "I hate it when" post. But whatever think what of me as you will ....
No offense meant to you. I'm a daily user of Craigslist, and I'm sharing about my experiences. You gave an example and asked the forum for input. Not everyone is going to agree with you.

Plus, my example does not correlate with your example. You mentioned that you emailed the seller directly and he indicated that he didn't intend to lower his asking price. I'm talking about when people make posts on Craigslist that comment on other people's posts. CL is a marketplace, not a chat board. The only posts that belong on CL are posts that offer something for sale.

Conversely, the TDPRI is a member chat forum where people exchange ideas. You told us about your experience and I shared my experience. The thread remains relevant to your original premise, which is basically "I hate it when" an item is overpriced on Craigslist. We simply have a difference of opinion, but I support your right to negotiate with Craigslist sellers in whatever manner you choose.