Ever call anyone out on Craigslist?

stepvan

Tele-Afflicted
So this morning I was going through my local craigslist looking of course at musical instruments when I ran across an ad for a beginners epiphone with gibson case and the seller also stated he would throw in a free pick and a strap for only $700 emailed the guy and called him out as he was blatantly trying to screw someone needless to say he responded with the usual curses. I just didn't want to see some kid get screwed by the guy or something. Anyone else ever call out someone like that?

teletail

Friend of Leo's
No, I mind my own business.

7E3E03C0-3624-497E-8E34-287CC8E8DA4D.jpeg

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
No, if I spent my time calling out people that are asking too much for what they are selling I would have no time to do anything else.

... what's that phase? It's worth what someone will pay, but that someone isn't usually me.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
So this morning I was going through my local craigslist looking of course at musical instruments when I ran across an ad for a beginners epiphone with gibson case and the seller also stated he would throw in a free pick and a strap for only $700 emailed the guy and called him out as he was blatantly trying to screw someone needless to say he responded with the usual curses. I just didn't want to see some kid get screwed by the guy or something. Anyone else ever call out someone like that?
Seriously doubt anyone is going to blindly buy ANYTHING off CraigsList today without Googling it first. Most of the "over-priced" instruments I see there have been on CL for the last three or four YEARS, without selling.
And in the case of the $700 Epiphone.....I wonder if the seller was just trying to recover the $700 he'd paid to buy it in the first place. ;););)

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
I sent a link to Sweetwater to a guy one time showing him you could get a brand new amp for $300 less than he was asking for a used one. Don't have the energy for stuff like that anymore though.

I do think there are a lot of people who unknowingly got screwed on their initial purchase who think they are posting used at a reasonable price - "I paid $900 six months ago for this Player Series Strat, barely used it, and now I'm selling it for $700".

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
No, honestly I'm a 'non-confrontational' type- just don't want to engage with a stranger in a negative way, that turns out to be a psycho-email-stalker, and kills me!

- but I have been tempted!

Examples- when someone has a guitar/amp and completely misrepresents what they are selling; either they just don't know, or BS...

Pet peeve #1- I LOVE Epiphone guitars ( that's my budget) but don't advertise you have 'FS: Gibson Les Paul' and you click post, and it's an Epi!

nathan5782

Tele-Meister
I haven't but sometimes thought about doing it. There's currently a guy in San Jose with an Epiphone 59 Les Paul the kind that comes with Burstbucker pickups asking $900 because he buffed it to a gloss shine, or $700 without the pickups. GC has it for $849

suave eddie

Friend of Leo's
Were you successful? Did the seller see the error of his ways and either take down or change his listing?

stepvan

Tele-Afflicted
Were you successful? Did the seller see the error of his ways and either take down or change his listing?
Don't know Don't really think it mattered to him, and whether I am right or wrong it needed to be said ... maybe just sticking my nose in where it didn't belong, never claimed to be right..

stepvan

Tele-Afflicted
No, honestly I'm a 'non-confrontational' type- just don't want to engage with a stranger in a negative way, that turns out to be a psycho-email-stalker, and kills me!

- but I have been tempted!

Examples- when someone has a guitar/amp and completely misrepresents what they are selling; either they just don't know, or BS...

Pet peeve #1- I LOVE Epiphone guitars ( that's my budget) but don't advertise you have 'FS: Gibson Les Paul' and you click post, and it's an Epi!
Yeah its crazy what people will try to pull

Rockinvet

Friend of Leo's
Sometimes it’s just not worth the time or aggravation. You get all kinds on CL. But I believe more are going to go back to selling on there with higher fees and oversight on Reverb and eBay.
I do occasionally see the CL police posts though which try to point out counterfeits and bad deals as you say but I couldn’t be bothered myself. I’m just too damn lazy!

stepvan

Tele-Afflicted
Seriously doubt anyone is going to blindly buy ANYTHING off CraigsList today without Googling it first. Most of the "over-priced" instruments I see there have been on CL for the last three or four YEARS, without selling.
And in the case of the $700 Epiphone.....I wonder if the seller was just trying to recover the $700 he'd paid to buy it in the first place. ;););)
Maybe, you might be on to something!