Ever buy a set of pickups before having a guitar for them?

Hank-Frost

TDPRI Member
Occasionally when I have seen some good ones on Ebay I have bought them to use later, but that was back when I built a lot more guitars from parts. I especially used to grab Fender Lace Sensors and used Rio Grande pickups when I saw them for a good price.

pi

Tele-Meister
Funny you ask. I've heard so many positive reviews of Wolfetone P90s I've been tempted to buy some, just in case I get a P90 guitar some day (right now I don't have one).

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
Not bought, but given. Back around 1972 a friend of mine had a 1956 Gold Top that he was determined to convert to a Deluxe (mini buckers). I was there when he removed the original P90's and he offered them, with the pots and selector switch, to me. I put them in a cigar box and put them in my parent's attic for future use. 2011 rolls around and I picked up one of the Les Paul P90 loaded Traditionals. A little later I remembered those old pickups, now stored for 40+ years. Getting everything together, I took the Trad and the P90's to my local repair guy and had the 56 P90's, and all the original wiring installed. It might have taken 40 years, but I eneded up with a treasure.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Yes, I bought a pair of Dyna Sonics a while back. I really dont have a guitar they will work in that I want to change. They are up for sale now! :lol:

gb Custom Shop

Tele-Meister
As a scratch builder, all the time. I'll almost always have every component needed before I start building. It takes me a couple or so months to finish a build from start to finish, so the hard part is waiting to try those pickups.

I have a couple sets of McNelly pickups that I'm still at least 3 months away from trying

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have probably five whole guitars worth of parts i could assemble if i needed something different including pickups for maybe ten or more guitars.
Its like kitchen supplies, i dont wait until Im making a sandwitch to buy mustard.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
What seems foreign to me is buying whole guitars built to some boardroom execs specs.
I never find them just right and prefer guitars made to suit me, now that i know my needs and preferences.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
No, but I bought a neck with no guitar just because I like Cabronita necks a lot and one of the TDPRI folks was selling one. After a few years I swapped the neck into a Squier Bullet Tele, really worked out nice, then swapped the Squier neck into an old Chinese T-body. I think it's the "circle of life."