Ever butcher you facial hair accidently?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That's pretty wild cuttin' there Mr. Texan!

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

I did that one with the first shaver I had for beards, I looked like I was just starting my whiskers after I did it.

3. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

“Ever butcher your facial hair?” No, not facial hair, but...
    A couple of years ago in the backyard my daughter cut my hair with a No. 6 guard (3/4”) on the buzzer. She went inside to get something and I ran my hands through my hair to check it out. One section felt long so I grabbed the buzzer and took a swipe.
    Only to realize she had taken off the guard and I just mowed a patch leaving about a sixteenth inch of hair.
    There’s no coming back from that.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

I got overeager with trimming my moustache once and ended up looking like... well, let's just say Charlie Chaplin.

5. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I let my wife trim my mustache once, after we got married. I looked like Clark Gable. Never again.

My friend's son was playing with his clipper and left the guard on low. He picked it up and put a lawnmower swath across his beard. He shaved it off and started over.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  6. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

I trim my sideburns myself.... yo see my pic in my avatar...

But now I am wearing a beard... When trimming last September I made a mistake and used a nº1 instead a nº3 I almost shaved my left sideburn.

No problem. let's start from scratch. Then I thought: "Winter is coming" and let grow a full beard for the winter. Sometimes, every 2 or 3 years I have a beard winter witch is useful here in Madrid (Average -4º Celsius here where I live)

7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I first grew my beard in September of 1980. My youngest daughter was not yet two years old when I did it, so although she had seen me without a beard, she couldn't remember it. Pictures in an album didn't seem to be enough.
    Me & Beth 1973.jpg

As she grew to her teen years, she kept pestering me to shave off my beard. Occasionally, my wife would chime in, saying she'd like to see my cleft chin again. I replied to the nagging every time with loud protestations, but in the back of my mind, I thought, "It'd be great for shock value to just do it."

I didn't wear my beard long in those days. Here's a pic of me with that daughter back in 1986. It's a picture of a worn old photograph, but you get the idea. My hair and beard were both shorter...and still dark! :(
    Jessica & me in PNG, ca. 1986.jpg

So the night before said daughter's 16th birthday, in January of 1994, I decided to do it. I didn't even tell my wife. I just waited until everyone was asleep, and then went into the bathroom and started shaving. I trimmed it as much as I could with scissors, and got out the jaws of life and shaved inside my cleft chin.

Then it came to trimming the mustache. And here's where the story meets the "accidental butchering of facial hair" criterion of this thread. I had tried to trim equal portions on either side of my mustache, but it was uneven. So I tried to even it up by taking some off the other side. Too much. I kept going that way, from one side to the other, until finally I had to accept the fact that either I was going to look like Hitler or else I'd have to be completely clean shaven for the first time in two decades.

The next morning, I woke the girls up, and when my youngest saw my clean shaven face, she burst into tears. She knew it was her birthday, and she knew I shaved just for her. So I told her, "You go ahead and stare, take pictures, video, whatever. Because I will grow my beard back, and you'll not see this chinny chin chin again." After a month or so, she was okay with it, and I grew it back. And that was the last time I shaved or ever plan to again.

Oh, and in case someone is tempted to quote the TDPRI axiom "Pics or it didn't happen..."
    Larry Duane & me, early 1994.jpg

Embarrassing picture for me. I was heavier then, and the lack of facial hair taught me a valuable lesson. To put my own spin on a phrase from Scripture, "A beard covereth a multitude of chins." :oops:

8. Danocoustic

Danocoustic Tele-Meister

Never had a shaving/trimming accident---probably because I don't bother---but I have caught my face on fire a few times.

Dang roaches!

fasteddie42 likes this.
  9. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Never apply beard trimmer before putting on your specs, ask me how I know...

10. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

In an attempt to reduce the cost of visits to the barbers, I bought a set of hair clippers. My hair is growing faster now (at 57) than it ever did 20-30 years ago.

I could just about get an even "crew" cut on my head but the first time I tried to trim my bushy eyebrows, the guard fell off and I ended up scalping myself - then having to repeat the treatment on my other eyebrow to avoid looking uneven.

The trimmers have been in a drawer ever since.

11. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Yep count me in... I grabbed my trimmer once that always has the guard attached, took a full swipe across my eyebrow, thought hmm, that felt different than normal, and realized I’d just removed about 75% of my eyebrow. Guard had fallen off.

Joe Sailor likes this.
  12. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

All the time when I clean the cippers half way through a cut and forget to set the length again, or I've dropped them before, setting the length to 0 without realising. Just got to go through with the cut and start growing again.

13. simond

simond Tele-Meister

Years ago a well respected moustachioed guitarist around town appeared with a chunk of whiskers missing. He had attempted to glue a broken fingernail with epoxy glue - supaglue had not been invented yet - and fallen asleep. Woke up with finger glued to his moustache.

Chunkocaster and Blue Bill like this.
  14. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

My nearest & dearest bought me a beard trimmer last year, It's still unopened in the box as I don't trust myself, :eek: especially since having to get new three tier progressive spectacles, I cant concentrate on any close up detail work at all with them:oops:

15. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

OK I'll admit, I've done the, "whoops I forgot the guard thingy." on the electric trimmer. It's a funny feeling for a few seconds, isn't it? There's just no way to put that cat back in the bag.

16. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I keep a very less is more approach to maintaining my facial hair. As in I do less to keep more.

I usually keep a mustache and soul patch or a beard until I look like circus conductor, then shave clean and repeat.

every time I try to "trim" or "maintain" I just end up lopsided and trying to even it out until there's nothing to work with.

17. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Every morning

18. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have so little hair left that it takes me less than 5 min to give myself a haircut. #3 guard, back and sides...ain't nuthin' on top.

Dad and I grew beards for the bicentennial. After a week, he couldn't stand it...went back to shaving. I kept mine all winter, shaved it off in the spring. That became a tradition for me except for the mustache...keep it year round. Beard shave-off in the spring is always fun. I have done the half-face, mutton-chops, Amish, etc. Miz Diane always rolls her eyes. I usually use a straight razor. Very cool to peel off a razor-wide swath of beard in one swipe.

When I was a kid, I usually got a "crew cut" from mom (sitting on a stool out in the garage). One time she forgot to put on the guard and made her first cut right to the bone. Instead of just finishing it out very short, she put the guard on and finished the job. I had a racing stripe!

I've had a mustache since '76. In my 30's I shaved it off and went over to my mom's. She didn't recognize me for a couple of minutes. :)

19. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I did once after a night imbibing tequila. This was in college, why I felt the need to shave that morning I'll never know. Trimming it to even it out resulted in a Hitler mustache so it all went. I grew it back but it's been gone for a very long time now. I don't miss it.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

I wear a ball cap a lot, it seems like I look like an insurance salesman affecting a cap at a trade show without my whiskers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.