Ever bought a perfect guitar, needing no alterations? (rant)

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Over 55-plus years, I have owned and gotten rid of a lot of guitars and amps. Cheap, expensive, acoustic, electric, all major brands, most types. (Still haven't had an electric 12-string.) As I think back, there was something wrong with all of them - in my mind - and I mean all. My ridiculous pickiness meant that I couldn't live with the blond 335, the Fender Deluxe, the original LP Special... they all had to go. Tiny imperfections meant that I had to either get rid of an otherwise great instrument, or modify it in some way. Almost nothing has seemed perfect from the get-go. I try not to have regrets in life, but I do miss some of the stuff I let go, back in the day.

Shopping for an acoustic-electric guitar now, in 2022 - there are thousands of them - and there is some feature I don't prefer about each and every one! What the f is wrong with me... I gotta just buy one and use it... (rant over)
Pretty much everyone I own except my Guild T-100 which I loved but needed some work.

regularslinky

Tele-Afflicted
The only guitars I've ever owned and NOT modded have been my most expensive (a Rick Kelly T-style) and my least expensive (a G&L Tribute Fallout).

Tall-Fir

Tele-Meister
I have 5 G&L ASAT Classic models. One is a Classic S and one is a Bluesboy, which is essentially a Classic with a Seth Lover humbucking neck pickup. I’ve never had to do modifications to any of them when purchased. Three were new and two were purchased used. All of the G&Ls have suited me well when I received them. l’ve just had to do straightforward setups to each when necessary. BTW, they seem to stay in tune incredibly well to the extent I can’t hardly believe it.
I am sure that there are many other finer teles around than my MIA G&L Classics. The only guitar that I have owned however, that was as good or better was a Tom Anderson Hollow T. That was one I certainly should have kept. I have altered and gotten rid of several Fender Teles. Not putting Fender down, just sayin…

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
I've owned several guitars that needed no modification. But they all appreciated considerably in value, and I sold them all for a hefty profit. Prices being what they are today, and given my age, there's no time to do it all over again.

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
After buying guitars since the 80s, I got my first one last year, a PRS Fiore. Ever aspect of it is perfect for me and I feel no need to change anything. Once the frets wear down, I will have stainless frets put in but it’s a long while down the line (I hope).

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
I’ve owned more guitars where I changed nothing than those I’ve found I needed to change. In fact I can think of only three that I’ve moddEd:

- An Epihone Dot - I added a Bigsby just ‘cos I felt like it. It was a lovely guitar but I never gelled with it and it got chopped in against my Jazzmaster.

- My MIM 60s classic Jazzmaster. Got a Staytrem bridge to resolve issues with the bridge height dropping, and at the same added a Staytrem trem that improved the trem massively.

- A cheap 335 shaped bass with copy mud-buckers that sounded like… well mud. This is a work in progress - pickups are changed out for humbuckers but there’s still a chunk of cosmetic work to do.

This of course does not include my home builds which are all subject to me changing my mind and / of fixing my ****-ups.

Muddyshoes

Tele-Holic
Over 55-plus years, I have owned and gotten rid of a lot of guitars and amps. Cheap, expensive, acoustic, electric, all major brands, most types. (Still haven't had an electric 12-string.) As I think back, there was something wrong with all of them - in my mind - and I mean all. My ridiculous pickiness meant that I couldn't live with the blond 335, the Fender Deluxe, the original LP Special... they all had to go. Tiny imperfections meant that I had to either get rid of an otherwise great instrument, or modify it in some way. Almost nothing has seemed perfect from the get-go. I try not to have regrets in life, but I do miss some of the stuff I let go, back in the day.

Shopping for an acoustic-electric guitar now, in 2022 - there are thousands of them - and there is some feature I don't prefer about each and every one! What the f is wrong with me... I gotta just buy one and use it... (rant over)
Here is a though that just may help in your everyday life, try focusing on what you like VS what you don't like in any given situation, you can always find something to dislike about anything......It's all how you look at.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Back when the Mexico plant was brand spanking new, I got one of the MIM Standard Teles with a nice sunburst. It was pretty much perfect, but that didn't stop me from replacing just about everything there was to replace.

IMG_2553.JPG

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
Yes, my Yamaha SG1000S from 1984 which I bought in 1990.
And my Ibanez ST50 bought new in 1980.
I clean them & change the strings. They're perfect.

On the other hand, I have a cheap, Chinese, sort of Jazzmaster type guitar that I've tinkered with since 2013.
Eventually, there will be nothing left of the original, apart from the body. Then I'll buy a Squier Jazzmaster body & it'll be perfect.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
My 3 acoustics were all what I expected out of the box, which I guess you might call "perfect."
Guild F55, Guild D40 Traditional, and cheapy Teton dreadnought.
The Guilds play like a dream and look good doing it.
The Teton, bless its little heart, plays great and has no fear of going new places and meeting new people.

Electrics different story.
Closest I've come is this, Hamer Special K:
1643391381816.png

P90s sounded fantastic - and with a guitar this affordable ($500), that's normally not the case.
Neck and frets were spot on, and ebony fingerboard plays like butter.
Got rid of evil Asian pots and switches and put Sperzel lockers on, but that's a given with all imports.

All of my Fender and clone guitars needed major stuff - pickups, pots, switches, tuners, even saddles.
However, the Squier Bullet Tele I just got might just get the electronics - everything else seems OK, which is a nice surprise for a sub-$200 axe delivered. Go figure.

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
Some guitars need nothing more than setup tweaks to satisfy. Others, it takes a bit more work. There's no general rule.

Sometimes, buying used as I almost always do, there's serendipity in the mod department. I'd been looking for an Epiphone Sorrento '62 RI for a long time. Thinking that if I could find a good one, it would be a perfect guitar on which to have a B3 Bigsby. Though I might have to make a few other changes too. Found one a couple weeks ago. The seller had installed a B3 Bigsby, had the cheap plastic nut replaced with a bone nut, guitar set up by a very talented luthier. I did lower the action some. Outside of that, this guitar is perfect just as it came to me. He did what I would have done.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Yes, sorta.
I can’t leave anything alone, usually.
I have a nice 68 LP Custom reissue.
I got it last summer.
I took the pickguard off, and changed the knobs.
That’s as “stock” as I have ever tolerated.
The guitar looks and sounds great, as is.
I greatly dislike pickguards on Les Pauls.
They dig into the beautiful, carved curly maple top.
I also greatly dislike reflector knobs.

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
I spend considerable time researching each guitar that I buy. If it does not have the specs I want, I move on. That being said, I expect to make minor adjustments on any guitar I bring home, but everything else, pickups, hardware, etc, will be part of the original deal.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
Squier Starcaster and Super Sonic are bone stock; latter might get some coil splitting when I get around to it. That Starcaster is just a nice, nice guitar; a great instrument for what I paid for it.