Ever bought a perfect guitar, needing no alterations? (rant)

Thoughtfree

Tele-Holic
Over 55-plus years, I have owned and gotten rid of a lot of guitars and amps. Cheap, expensive, acoustic, electric, all major brands, most types. (Still haven't had an electric 12-string.) As I think back, there was something wrong with all of them - in my mind - and I mean all. My ridiculous pickiness meant that I couldn't live with the blond 335, the Fender Deluxe, the original LP Special... they all had to go. Tiny imperfections meant that I had to either get rid of an otherwise great instrument, or modify it in some way. Almost nothing has seemed perfect from the get-go. I try not to have regrets in life, but I do miss some of the stuff I let go, back in the day.

Shopping for an acoustic-electric guitar now, in 2022 - there are thousands of them - and there is some feature I don't prefer about each and every one! What the f is wrong with me... I gotta just buy one and use it... (rant over)

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
Most (if not all) of my mods have been down to purely subjective personal preference, curiosity or a desire for some kind of project (usually bound up with the curiosity).

I think it's about impossible to shop a "guitar store" (or website) for a name-brand guitar and come out with something that's just objectively bad (excluding set-up issues, because I frankly believe it's ridiculous to expect a random guitar off the wall to be set up how you like it). It may need tuning, new strings or a clean-up, but you're going to end up doing that on any guitar you own eventually anyway, but other than that they're all fine, aside from the very occasional lemon (again, speaking objectively here).

So it's fine to like a guitar as is, but not weird or bad at all to feel a need to give it the one little tweak to make it "perfect". You buy a new couch but then buy cushions for it. You buy a car and change or adjust any number of things. You buy nicer clothes off the rack and get them tailored to you.

It really is silly, when you think about it, to buy mass-produced products and then assume they'll be to your exact fit (in any sense), or to feel weird when they're not.

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
Yup. All of my Suhr guitars are perfect for me out of the box. I've got three of them and every one has been. So far for me, I consider them the most consistently excellent guitars I own (perfect nuts, superior fretwork, fit/finish, all of it). All of my standard production Suhr models are more "perfect" to me than my Fender Custom Shops (the worst nut I ever got was on one of my FCS Teles. Just atrocious), Gibson Custom Shops, and my higher end Gretschs. My only other guitar that is on par with my Suhrs is my Collings 1-35 Deluxe Custom.

Last edited:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Over 55-plus years, I have owned and gotten rid of a lot of guitars and amps. Cheap, expensive, acoustic, electric, all major brands, most types. (Still haven't had an electric 12-string.) As I think back, there was something wrong with all of them - in my mind - and I mean all. My ridiculous pickiness meant that I couldn't live with the blond 335, the Fender Deluxe, the original LP Special... they all had to go. Tiny imperfections meant that I had to either get rid of an otherwise great instrument, or modify it in some way. Almost nothing has seemed perfect from the get-go. I try not to have regrets in life, but I do miss some of the stuff I let go, back in the day.

Shopping for an acoustic-electric guitar now, in 2022 - there are thousands of them - and there is some feature I don't prefer about each and every one! What the f is wrong with me... I gotta just buy one and use it... (rant over)
Go up a size or two in underwear.

JIMMY JAZZMAN

Tele-Holic
Just one, a Les Paul Tribute. Pulled it off the shelf at GC, played it for a half hour.
Nothing and I mean nothing wrong. Nut check, frets check, relief check, tuners check.
Perhaps a GC tech had at it before hand, but that bad boy had the best intonation I
ever had on a guitar, on the shelf. Never had great luck with a guitar right out of the box,
never.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The way I see it there are two categories of problem areas with guitars - curable and incurable.*

Curable are things like setup, lousy pickups, lousy tuners and hardware. Things that you can fix, and should probably expect to fix when buying a new guitar.

Incurable problems would be flaws with the basic design of the guitar, and/or things that would cost more than the value of the instrument to change.

*which I borrowed from curable and incurable obsolescence in real estate

Last edited:

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
I know what u mean , is it a desire to just make more perfect though? Or was there actual issues making the guitar /amp better for you . I have a custom shop tele that was really great from the get go, but I did swap the saddles for better intonation , and the pickups , because I thought they were too bright. This made it perfect for me , although it was more than acceptable out of the box . I didn’t really need to do anything . I have a custom shop 57 les Paul jr that is perfect . I wouldn’t change anything on this one

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
This 2018 Epi SG Pro ( got it off CL 2020, but stock from previous owner)

and just from last November, the Squier Thinline Tele. Both ready to Rock & Roll!

Attachments

• 20211124_132455.jpg
    20211124_132455.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200624_094148.jpg
    20200624_094148.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
I'm always surprised when I read a review that says the guitar was perfect right out of the box. Several of those reviews even said that the guitar was completely in tune. I've been shopping/playing for just over 60 years and have always found the need for minor adjustments on every guitar that I've ever owned.
Currently, I own 34 perfectly imperfect instruments, with no plan to part with any of them.
I do wonder if the OP is just using "perfection" as an excuse not to commit to the instrument.

PCollen

Friend of Leo's

Yes, I've bought several guitars that NEEDED no modifications. I have 3 in my "stable" right now. I don't consider a set-up to personal specs to be a modification. I think you already know the answer to that final question.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I usually buy used "ugly ducklings" or build kits or partscasters. So, some work is usually necessary.

I have bought some new relatively inexpensive guitars that have been good out of the box or off the rack at the store. Some have needed minor setup tweaks for my preferences. 3 stand out, an Epiphone LP Jr, a Gretsch Electromatic and a SX Hawk Strat-oid. The LP Jr hasn't been modded since I bought it in 1998. I replaced the switch on the Electromatic after it started having trouble after about 10 years. I did end up swapping electronics and pickups on the SX after a few years but the stock ones were fine.

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Of my 10 guitars and a bass, the Carvin I ordered new to my specs came from their factory perfect. It's been 16 years now and aside from string changes I have changed nothing. All my other electrics have had some sort of mod - strap locks, nuts, locking tuners, new saddles. All minor items but still.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's

Nope. Perfection is a luxury I cannot afford (and don’t require). Lemme think…Nope. Never bought a brand new guitar. EVER. Started buying vintage before it was a guitar marketing buzzword, because old guitars were cheaper.
I was a perfectionist until I got a little brother and had to share a room. Everything neat and tidy and then BLAMMO! Like a bomb went off. Being older, it was my fault… so long, neat and clean. Buhbye, spic and span; everything in it’s right place.

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
A while ago I did this thread in which I asked how much your very first rig still influences your current rig.

In my own case, my very first rig was a Cheap Telecaster copy into a 15 watt solid state Squier amplifier. And I keep returning to the combination: Fender style guitar into a Solid state Fender amp.

It just took me 30-odd years to realize it.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's

I thought I met the perfect woman. I found a freckle.