1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever bought a car through Sams Club or Costco?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jguitarman, Sep 7, 2020.

1. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm searching for a new or used Acura RDX for my wife and am wondering what others experiences have been like?
    I really can't stand the thought of going to a dealership. The sleazy sales tactics disgust me. I have bought a few cars from Carmax and like them but I find their prices to be on the high side. I could also buy from a private party but I'm not finding the specific model and color available locally.
    That leaves me wondering about Sams and Costco.

2. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Holic

I believe Costco is for new cars. My son worked in the call center and many of his friends still do. As far as new cars they make sure you get a fair deal but if you like to haggle it is possible to get a better price. Not sure about Sams club. USAA, other Insurance companies and banks offer car buying services that are worth checking out. I did a purchase through USAA on a used Honda that I’ve been driving for the last 8 years.

3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Filled out the Costco form and submitted it.

Nothing.

A month later (yes... at least 30 days), a dealer somewhere said 'Ok, I see you have an interest. What's your interest?'

A total waste of time. My guess is that the Costco relationship and business arrangement isn't desirable enough to spur dealers into action. You'd think that, like most dealers, they'd be interested in moving a car no matter what the deal is.

We did a deal directly with a Subaru dealer for a certified used Forester that was their service loaner car with 1,900 miles

schmee likes this.
  4. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

We have leased three new cars through COSTCO's buying program, which hooks one up with a dealer. The first two were no-haggle through the fleet department of the same dealer - tell them what you want, they find it, pick it up. The third time, at a different dealer, was the typical salesman/closer/finance runaround. I put up with it because the deal was OK and they had the exact vehicle we wanted.

Last December we used the AAA service, through TrueCar, which we liked. We let them know make and model - AUDI Q7, provided contact info, and we got emails from several dealers with offers - about 15-20 vehicles. We took a dealer's best offer, went to the dealer, no hassle or haggle and arranged the lease. It took longer to hook up the wifi, email account and app than the sales transaction. No closer or finance nonsense.

Before buying I always look at KBB, Edmunds, Consumer Reports, etc., and local dealer on-line inventory - one can view the sticker on-line - to get a feel for pricing and options.

5. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I tried the Costco service. The dealer got back to me the next day. I test drove the vehicle and the pricing was very good. The deal breaker for me was my trade. I went to another dealer, got the Costco price and $2k more for my trade. If you are a Costco member, it's worth a try as you have nothing to lose.

6. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

my daughter bought her car through Costco (new)
    woud do it again

7. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Not a car, but did buy a casket at Costco. You can pretty much anything from them.

Rockinvet and Stubee like this.
  8. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Double Platinum Supporter

We bought our 2017 Avalon new through Costco, signed up and the designated dealer contacted us the next day. Made an appt for the following week, drove about 70 miles to the dealership, we were presented all the $$$ data and bought the car that day. We had done our homework and knew pretty much what the price range was for the car. very happy !!

9. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll give Costco a try if we decide to buy a new car. If not new I'll probably wait until Carmax has the right car locally. You can have them ship a car but there's a cost for the transport which I'd rather avoid.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think, before 1/2020, when dealers and manufacturers had massive backlogs of inventory, these car buying services were a real no brainer for people who feel assaulted when they go and visit a dealer facility.

But demand for vehicles (especially used) has tightened in some regions, like nothing I've ever seen before. I'm talking, this is unfolding fast, as in April/May nothing was moving. But now the buyers are back and determined to buy. This may mean the custodian of a vehicle just can't be bothered to respond to the car buying service.

You may want to look around, in other regions where nobody has been hired back yet, or where cars are still stacked up.

imwjl likes this.
  11. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Haven’t tried Costco, etc., but if I could offer one piece of advice to someone using the internet to shop cars (or similar...roofing, appliances, whatever)...

Create a new email address to use only for this purpose, and never bother to check it again after you have made the purchase, because you will be receiving emails from the sales weasels for years (not exaggerating) after you make initial contact.

12. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

Negotiated our last car purchase (VW) in person to the dealer's lowest price, then got a Costco quote from another dealer and used it to negotiate even lower with dealer #1.

We were very impressed with how dealer #2 conducted themselves throughout the process, but stuck with #1 because it was much closer and I'd be relying on them for guaranteed maintenance, warranty, etc. during the first few years of ownership.

In the future I could see starting with Costco and eliminating the early hassle.

13. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

I tried Costco this summer on a new car purchase, they referred me to the closest dealer. i had already spoken with the same dealer previously. Costco did have an additional $1,000 off incentive but I was still able to find a better deal without all the B.S. at an out of state dealer within easy driving distance.

14. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

In the past my personal best was still a manufacturer's VIP program I qualified for COSTCO could get you a generally good deal without playing games. You might not get that from the most convenient dealer. My brother drove 80 miles for the COSTCO negotiated deal on a Subaru.

Good point on the current market. In buying a car recently, VW and others had particularly attractive rona specials on some models. You only got that direct in some cases, or best possible deal if you have super good credit score or buy the car with cash.

At the recent closing the finance manager dude said there's a lack of new and used inventory for stuff people really want, and a lot of people who don't qualify for the best deals out there.

We did better than COSTCO because I know the game, knew the area inventory, and were qualified buyers. A friend who valued the buying service said he could not do the bargaining so it all seems fair to me.

My brother's COSTCO purchase was the low side of what that car generally sold for.

boris bubbanov likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.