Ever been to Iceland?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sean79, Oct 2, 2018.

1. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

My son is planning on going for a few days next week. I have some vacation time to burn, so I had considered going with him. However, after looking at the calendar, I realized that I have a commitment around here that weekend.

Still, I’m curious. What is there to do in Iceland? He’ll be flying into Reykjavík. Is it easy enough to get around? Are there things to see/do outside of Reykjavík? Do a lot of people speak English?

If he could adjust his travel dates by a couple days, I could probably go with him. I’m not counting on that, but I’m still curious about traveling to Iceland.

2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

My daughter went with friends last year and had a blast. Very easy to get around and almost everyone she met spoke English. They are also unbelievably laid back and friendly.

3. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I hope he likes fish.

MatsEriksson, ponce and sean79 like this.
  4. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

Cannot wait to go back. Iceland is unlike anywhere else on Earth. Friendly, beautiful people. Incredible scenery. Go.

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Haven't been but I very much want to change that.

brookdalebill, Danjabellza and sean79 like this.
  6. sean79

I’d like to, but it’s probably not going to happen next week.

7. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

GO ! Whenever you can :)

rze99, Chunkocaster and sean79 like this.
  8. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

I went in 2007.... shortly after the solstice. Reykjavic was easy to get around. Rented a car and drove along the southern coast, and up into barren volcanic highland landscapes. I wanted to drive across it to the north coast and if I stayed on that rocky road I believe we could have, but the women were getting scared that we'd break down and never be heard from again. All of it was incredibly beautiful.

Great nightlife in Reykjavic! Not far from the arctic circle we were drinking in a hot tub and this guy from Wales came in and I asked him what the time was....2 AM? It was still pretty bright out. And he says, "It's almost 4!" Never got dark and the sun was already climbing for the day. :)

Had a blast and would like to go again and explore the highways and rural country more.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    MatsEriksson, Nickadermis and sean79 like this.
  9. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Been there in '92. Fascinating country really and being able ski right up to a thermal spring is a unique experience. Most folks were very nice, but I ran into a lot of yahoos as well back then. I found living in Norway to be much friendlier, but it wasn't bad in Iceland.

sean79 likes this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I heard they ride reindeers everywhere, all the women are hot blondes and they have the best cold beer on tap.

[​IMG]

11. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

have fun

'

sean79 likes this.
  12. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

While in USN we flew into Keflavik, Iceland, as part of the Greenland-Iceland-UK (GIUK) seaward-extension of the "cold war" DEWLINE.

Lots of geothermal "steam" operated things there everywhere.

kookaburra and sean79 like this.
  13. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Could I go with you? Please? I will eat just small bits and stay quiet... Please?

Matt G, Chunkocaster and sean79 like this.
  14. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

I haven’t been but my boss took his family this summer. His pictures were beautiful but he said everything there is EXTREMELY expensive, so be prepared. I don’t remember much of what he did.

MatsEriksson, Piggy Stu and sean79 like this.
  15. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I have a friend who is there now on a 'girls week'. She's posted some incredible pictures.
    Apparently lots of hiking to do.
    The buildings all look like 17th century Scotland to me.
    Very scenic, but apparently often rainy and starting to get cooler now.

sean79 likes this.
  16. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

I've been there a few times. It's a wonderful place! Pretty much everyone speaks English, so no problems there. Food is pricy, but hotels are reasonable. The must-do thing is the Blue Lagoon, which is a big pond full of hot, heavily mineralized water that you can soak in. Google for pictures - it's amazing. Depending on the season, there are also aurora watching trips, skiing, whale watching, hiking, and so forth. The people are pleasantly friendly if a bit reserved by US standards.
    I haven't ever rented a car there, but I probably will next time I go. Traffic is generally light and people do not generally drive as aggressively as most of Europe.
    There are no dangerous animals, but there are definitely some dangerous landscape features. Don't jump into hot springs that you don't know are safe. Some are near the boiling point. The countryside is absolutely spectacular, and very different than anyplace else. Sometimes, it's like you're on a different planet.

Now I want to go back (*searches for cheap flights)...

17. hazcat

hazcat Tele-Meister

I was there for a few days in June; it was a quick stop on my way home from the UK and Ireland. Reykjavik is easy to get around in on foot, if he's staying anywhere near the city center. Unless he's renting a car, he'll be taking the airport shuttle in from Keflavik airport. It costs 30 bucks US, takes about 50 minutes to get to the city and arrives at the Reykjavik central bus station. From there, he can get a cab, walk into town (as I did; it takes 10 minutes tops to get to the central district) or connect with a hotel shuttle. They also have a desk at which he can book bus tours for various activities, if that's his pleasure. They rent locker space if he needs to stow a bag for a while. If you're not renting a car, the bus-based activities are well worthwhile, and that's not usually my thing.

Outside of Reykjavik, there are miles and miles of beautiful, spectacular volcanic Nothing. It's breathtaking. The "Golden Circle" is kind of the default day trip from the city, and it's worth a day and whatever it costs, especially if you haven't seen geysers, enormous world-class waterfalls and visible edges of continental plates before.

It is a shockingly expensive place, but I'd love to go back. I got a great deal on a nice apartment via Airbnb and applied the savings to things like that $13 dollar pint and a twenty-dollar breakfast -- which, to be fair, was delicious. Everyone speaks better English than most of my neighbors.Should I return, I'll rent a car. They drive on the same side as we do, although it wouldn't hurt to brush up on signage.

Also, the duty-free shop at KEF is right next to the luggage carousel. Consider the $13 pint of beer before you walk past it.

MisterZ, Piggy Stu and sean79 like this.
  18. sean79

Thanks, everyone. I will pass this info on to my son. If he wasn’t so impulsive, I might have been able to travel with him. He worked approximately 120 hours last week, so he’s been given some extra time off. So, yesterday afternoon, he decided to go to Iceland and booked his flight to Reykjavik. It was only after that that he mentioned me going along. Had he adjusted his comp and travel time by a couple days, I probably could have gone. Someday.

MatsEriksson and Chunkocaster like this.
  19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I've never been, but had a friend in college who was from there. Yes, she was a hot blonde and a good singer-songwriter. But she had a boyfriend. Still, we were pretty close for a time. Wait, this isn't the old flame thread, is it? ;)

sean79 likes this.
  20. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    My wife and I have been there 3 times. It's the most beautiful place we have ever been. I could easily go again and spend 2 weeks just in the Westfjords.

Getting to see this was the highlight of any of our trips - Hornvik. It involved a long drive to the NW tip of the country, a 3 hour boat ride and a 6 hour hike.

Iceland 2013 288.jpg

MatsEriksson, Matt G and sean79 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.