Ever been pleasantly surprised by a gig?

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
Two or more years ago my daughter insisted I get us tickets to see My Chemical Romance. Yes I know - I was dreading it, for two or more years.

MCR have always been one of those bands that I hear and, well I wouldn’t turn them off but I wouldn’t choose them either, and the whole emo thing leaves me cold.

Last Saturday we finally went to that show and…… Wow. The band were way, way better than I expected but what made the whole thing was the crowd. We were in the seated section of a stadium gig. Every single person in that stand, in fact it seemed that every single person in the stadium stood through the entire gig, danced and sang every word to every single song. I’m not a fan of stadium concerts, but that one was one of the best stadium gigs I’ve seen.

so anyone had a similar thing - going to a gig you’re ambivalent about and in the end thoroughly enjoying the whole thing…

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
I’m glad you had a great time. I haven’t been to an arena show in al least 35 years
I know it’s a word thing but, to me, a gig is a show I play in but a concert or a show is what I go to see
I’d say, “I’m going to XYX’s show tonight” not, “I’m going to XYZ’s gig tonight”

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
A gig, as I understand the term, is a show that I am personally performing at

And yeah, I've been pleasantly surprised in those contexts, often.
The key to that is trying to keep expectations neutral, I've found
I mean, they can't all be rockstar experiences.
It is fun when it happens : )

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Though I agree with @stxrus and @blowtorch about what a gig is, in the context of the OP, yes, I was pleasantly surprised by Genesis, in 1980.
I didn’t really give a hoot about Genesis, at the time.
I went to the concert because I had my first, and only blind date.
The young lady was lovely and charming.
Genesis were light, funny, and very good!
I wasn’t expecting that.
I thought they’d be kinda stiff and serious.
42 years later, I still remember the evening fondly!
Another somewhat more recent (2005) was an Austin City Limits taping by Death Cab For Cutie.
Great songs!

Old Smokey

Tele-Meister
A few years ago I was on a work trip and my wife was traveling with me. We check in at the hotel by the airport and the guy at the front desk asks us if we're there for the big show. No, just here for work. We go up to the room. Must find out what the big show is.

It was Styx, REO Speedwagon, and Don Felder.

We went and got dinner at a Chili's during a fierce storm. It cleared up and we walked over to the stadium. Box office was closed. The show has already started and there is hardly a soul around. Then this guy comes wandering by, "Hey, you guys need tickets?" Yep. How much? He threw out a number, close to face value. I check my pockets. I have $32 dollars. "Okay, I'll take it, but you have to buy me drink when we get inside."

And that's how I got to see an unexpected and awesome show for $32 and a double crown and coke.

526THz

Tele-Meister
3 years ago I went to see Mr.Big. It was in my area, didn't have any idea they were touring Europe.
I knew about the concert at 1PM, the concert being at 9PM.
What (positively) surprised me was the support act: Fozzy. Never listened to them. They put on a great show and I really liked the songs.