Ever been knocked out?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kebmel, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

4th grade. Total accident. Walked past another kid (who wasn't paying attention either) as he took a practice swing with a baseball bat and clocked me square in the back of the head.

I don't even remember getting hit. I remember walking, then waking up on the couch in the principle's office with this kid crying, and the nurse on the phone to my dad. Concussion number one of my life.

5th grade. Christmas pageant. Fell off the choir risers. It was really hot on the top riser, and I got dizzy. Went off backwards, thought "oh no" and woke up on the couch in the principle's office, this time my parents were already there.:lol:

10th grade. Keg party. Fight broke out. Everybody watching. I dropped my cup, and it rolled out a little. Not thinking, I went to pick it up. One of the guys in the fight had a friend who thought I was stepping out of the ring of people to get into it. Totally blindsided me. Out like a light. He later apologized, he really felt bad. He just didn't want his buddy getting teamed up on. What can I say? Stuff happens.

Also 10th grade. Working out in the yard, again, not paying attention, my brother went to chuck a huge rock he'd dug up over the back fence (nothing but pasture past our fence) just as I was walking by. Boom boom, out go the lights. Concussion number two of my life.

Senior year. Driving to school, swerved to miss a dog that ran into the road. slid into the ditch, and rolled my Subaru Brat over. And over. And over. And over. Woke up with trash men going through my pockets looking for ID. they thought I was dead. Should have heard 'em scream when I woke up hollering.:lol: Yeah, another concussion.

19 years old. Driving to my girlfriends house for dinner. Hadn't even had my new truck a year, just did a ton of work on it. Installed a stripe kit, sliding rear window, tinted the glass, new rims and tires, bed liner, I'd spent a bundle. Guy runs a red light at about 50 MPH and t-bones me. Full bore, no brakes. I woke up parked in a dentists office, thank heaven they were closed and nobody was in there. Hit me so hard I blew out the drivers side window of my truck with my head. Hit me so hard, I ripped the gear shift out of the tranny and was still holding it (I had no idea) when the paramedics ran over to sit me down as I was wandering aimlessly around in the yard of the dentists office. MAJOR concussion that time. Went out for the second time that day when they put my shoulder back in.

23 years old. Working for Guitar Center in Dallas. Closing the store one night. We had a huge wall of Gibsons right over the front doors in those days. Locking up and leaving, freak accident. Black beauty LP Custom comes loose from the very top row. I hear the noise, and look up just in time to see it closing in on me. Way too fast to do anything about it. It beaned me rock solid right between the eyes. Yep, out like a light. Concussion.

Haven't been knocked out since then, which is lucky, because I'm pretty sure my brain is mush. My short term memory is crap. Total crap. May not be a result of head trauma though, I have no idea. I don't remember if it was better before all of this happened or not.

2. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

Yes, on a few occasions. I got jumped in high school by about fifteen guys- woke up in the dean of boys office, covered with blood. Don't know exactly what the issue was. I was walking my girlfriend to class, and she said they just came out of no-where and jumped on top of me. Not my lucky day, I guess.

Broke many bones on dirt and street bikes, but never lost consciousness.

The one biggie was when I was 17 and driving with my drummer at the time. I was heading east on Sunrise Blvd in Fort Lauderdale and a school bus was heading west, as I came to an intersection with a light that just apparently turned yellow. I was doing about 50 and the bus made a left turn right in front of me. It was pouring down, typical South Florida rain storm. My '67 Mustang hit the bus right about where the door that the kids get in, went under the bus, ripping the roof off of the car. When it all came to a stop, my car's tail end was sticking out of the bus's rear wheel well. My car had apparently knocked the rear differential and rear wheels completely off the bus, so the whole dang thing was sitting on top of my car. When they got me out of the car, I had lots of head trauma, but the stupid cop wouldn't let the ambulance take me to the hospital until he wrote me up for running a red light, even though my heart had stopped and they were coding me. I woke up a little over a week later and had no idea who the hell I was, or what the hell had happened. I was on a ventilator, so I extubated myself and began to wreak havoc on the hospital room. It took months to get my faculties back, but I never remembered the accident. My drummer only injured his albow and never lost consciousness. He recounted the day for me after I figured out who he was. He said we were going to get my front end aligned. Oh, and the ticket I got...I went to court some time later and sued the school board of Broward Co. and I think the cop lost his job for inappropriate behavior.

3. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

:eek: Was the Les Paul ok?

4. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Yep, after being rear-ended in a car accident by some idiot talking on her cell phone. I came to a couple of minutes after the impact. Still suffering the after effects from that and the accident happened like five years ago.

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah. The running joke after that was that my worthless head saved a $2500 guitar.:lol:

6. 20721

20721 Former Member

Perfect incident for this forum: I got knocked out by voltage differential between a Silverface Bassman and a PA system (this has killed folks before) both poorly grounded and to complete the trilogy of danger, on different branch circuits. Didn't know that at the time. Bad scene. Was plugged in, stepped up to the mic, accidentally touched mic. All I remember was a huge flash and a tremendous impact like I'd been punched in the face. Woke up on the floor. Thankfully my bass was OK.

I've taken some really good shots to the head, but that's the only time I've truly been "knocked out".

7. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Once, long ago, in a moment of utter stupidity. Moved into my buddies apartment in a brooklyn ghetto, in a room formerly occupied by a handy guy who'd made this giant bedframe, with a little shelf high above the bed for some reason. So I unpacked my gear. Had a WWII metal ammo case filled with crap, It was on the heavy side. So of course I slipped it up on that high shelf. Finished packing, fell back into bed for a quick nap. Woke up on the floor, on my knees, bleeding from the forehead. It was a nasty hit, bad enough that I had no idea what had happened, even where I was. Ended up stumbling around the streets with a blinding headache, so out of it. Concussion for sure. How did I survive being such an idiot??
    MD

8. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

True...wasn't so common in my younger daze...

Funny!

love the stories...also glad you all survived!

9. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I was knocked silly on a training exercise back in the Corps. My driver was trying to negotiate to the top of a steep ridge so that we could set up an OP. I was up in the turret trying to guide him since the road had washed out partially during the last Southern California rains that rarely show up. He got a little cocky on the gas and cut one side of the washout a little close, it collapsed and shot me forward into the TOW missile traversing unit noggin first. Even with my helmet on I still got knocked silly, though I was able to continue navigating him to the top before we called the doc.

Being the hardcore Marines that we were, the doc just told me to not sleep too much and keep myself hydrated. Here's a few motrin for the pain. Lol. I had some freaky dreams/hallucinations those next 12-18 hours I tell you.

10. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Yep! I made the mistake of talking crap to my gunny while we were in the field in korea. We hit the tree line and went at it, about a min or so he got me with a knee to the jaw. I ended up flat on my ass and out cold. A year later we did it again in cherry point NC but this time he was the one on his ass and out cold. I hope i never see him again, that was one tuff SOB.

11. GORT

GORT TDPRI Member

Gunnys will do that, but the tree line is absolutely forbidden in today's corps however I think a lot of good came out of the good ole tree line. He'll practically can't yell because of the ways kids are brought up now days....I call it the time out generation!!

12. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

And all the young Devil Dogs taking offense at being called Devil Dogs because they've all taken an intro psych course and learned that they have been conditioned to associate that name with getting yelled at. Lol!

13. mr natural

mr natural Friend of Leo's

I got knocked unconscious by a little old lady. I was stocking shelves at the local grocery store when I was about 18. I was crouched down low putting cans on the lowest shelf. This little old lady comes up and wants one of the big 3 lb. cans of crushed tomatoes on the top shelf but can't quite reach it. So she uses her cane to kinda pull it towards her. Of course the can rolls off of the shelf and hits me square on the top of the noggin. I tried to stand up. I got about halfway up and started seeing stars and my vision started to contract to a smaller and smaller circle surrounded by blackness. I came to lying on the floor in time to see the little old lady moving with remarkable speed around the corner at the end of the aisle assisted by her cane. She probably thought she'd killed me. I had a nice crease in my scalp for a long time which is finally gone after all these years.
    -Mr. N.

14. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Car crash when I was 13. My 16 year old brother was driving, and he (probably) dozed off. The car went into the bar ditch and struck the culvert under a farm driveway. I had brief moments of awareness a couple of times over the next three days, then woke up for good. Couldn't quite figure out why my mother was so freaked out. (My sister was also in the car, so all three of her kids were involved.) My face is still pretty noticeably scarred.

15. badger51

badger51 Tele-Meister

Three times. First was in 5th grade playing touch football at recess where the male teacher quarterbacked both teams. I rushed in to tag him and as he threw the ball his elbow hit me in the temple. Cold stone gone. Serious concussion. Last two occured during HS football as a senior. Watching the films was the only way learned what happened. First one defensive lineman hit me with a double fisted uppercut right on the chin as I was throwing deep. Woke up with the refs standing over me asking if I was alright. Another bad concussion. Last one was a blind side helmet to my ear hole. That concussion had some lasting effects throughout the rest of that school year. Grades dropped, hard to concentrate, very hard to memorize.

16. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

Just once...billy club to the head.

17. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

First time I was in the sixth grade and teasing this girl I had a crush on. She was less than impressed. Problem was she was standing on a step in the school library and holding one of those old dictionaries that weigh about ten pounds and she whacked me on top of the head with it. I woke up about three minutes later.

I'm not sure if the second time really counts. I was doing some corral work and a cow kicked me in the shin. The pain was pretty intense but I stayed on my feet for a few minutes even as the colors started to fade. Pretty soon I was blind and hanging off the side of a fence. Had to be helped out of the corral. I felt a snap in my leg as I was walking out and the lights came back on. I think I had passed out on my feet.

I've had my bell rung a few other times, most recently by a backhoe that swung too fast and clipped me in the ear, but those are the only two times I recall hitting the ground.

18. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Is the phrase "tree line" slang for something not involving trees?

19. Dawg

Dawg Tele-Holic

hit by a car when I was 13 - woke up in hospital. Broken collar bone and front teeth missing...

20. DaBender

DaBender Tele-Afflicted

When I had a motorcycle accident that sent me flying off the bike. I landed on a dirt road, and am very thankful I always wear a helmet. I guess I was out for 5 minutes or so.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.