Ever been knocked out?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kebmel, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

When I was around 14 (yes I was young once) I used to box for the school and had won my previous 3 fights but in this inter school tournament I got paired up with a guy I'm sure was twice my size and weight. Full of the lack of confidence when the bell rang I sprang out of my corner and got halfway over the canvas and straight into a "haymaker" of a punch. I recall coming round with cold water being splashed over my face and hearing the students from my opponents school all cheering their hero. I lost without throwing a punch....:cry:

2. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Was that in Zermatt?
    I once had a ski accident where I catapulted myself into the air. I remember swearing mid air, and trying to aim for the snow and avoid the rocks. I woke up lying in the snow after kneeing myself in the face, breaking my cheekbone and fracturing my eye socket, and soon afterwards counting my teeth (they were all there).

3. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah.

4. Carlsson

Carlsson Tele-Holic

For a split second or so on a couple of occasions (boxing, bars...) and once when I was 12 I was sleeping in the top bunk of a bunk bed in a ski lodge and decided to go for a walk. Was an active sleepwalker at that age... Knocked my chin on the windowsill, bounced of that and hit a chair with my head. My parents woke from the noise and found me in a big pool of blood and managed to wake me up. So I went right from sleep to unconsciousness. My uncle, who was a butcher then, passed out when he saw the blood :lol: Didn't break anything, but got 13 stitches right in the center of my forehead. Still a pretty visible scar.

When I met my wife, her son (5 years then) asked "do we also have lines in our foreheads like he does?" :) Well he does now, after running into a lamppost chasing a girl in the schoolyard... And for a while we had a horse with a scar in the same spot. Don't know how that happened.

5. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Yes - fell out of a pear tree and landed on my head when I was kid. Was out cold for 10 minutes. Got up, went home and passed out again for about an hour. My wife says it explains a lot!

6. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I woke up at the bottom of a waterslide with a massive egg on my forehead.

I was running at the entrance to the tube when my mate decided it'd be a good idea to give me a last second push - which I wasn't ready for, and my head struck the top of the tube at full speed.

It was probably quite a ride for my limp body!

7. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Got knocked out standing on my feet, everything went static, just like a TV set, came to and beat the wholly hell out of the guy who I had just stopped from beating my neighbor(a woman) an hour prior. He had hit me over the head with a half full fifth of Vodka.

Another time, I was walking in the woods at night, taking a short cut and tripped on a rock and landed squarely on my chin, cuttting it , cracking a couple teeth and knocking me the frick out. Came to , tried to shake it off and noticed something was flapping on my chin. Turned out it was chin!

8. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

I was moving some stuff in the attic of a church. I ducked to go under a steel beam when walking around a corner and walked straight into a lower beam that I didn't see. I remember hitting my head but don't remember hitting the floor. Just remember laying on my back.

The second time happened last year while playing softball. I was camped out under a fly ball, and another guy came flying in and ran in to me right before the ball hit my glove. I lost my footing and fell over backwards and hit my head on the ground. Don't remember hitting the ground. Went to the ER for this one. Had headaches, light sensitivity, and seeing stars for about a week after that one.

9. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Meister

LOL that's some stupid stuff right there. Wish we would have thought of that when I was that age.

10. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

Motorcycle accident in 1976 on Angeles Crest Highway just outside Glendale, CA. Had to be airlifted out on a helicopter. Severe concussion, cracked ribs, collapsed lung, internal bleeding, lost 6 front teeth. I don't remember the accident, and have no memory of anything until the 3rd day after.

11. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

But would you even know?

As some folks have pointed out, you might not even remember being knocked out...
    As a little kid I certainly remember getting smacked across the forehead with a cricket bat by a friend of my elder brother, (he missed the pebble he was aiming at!). I had 2 black eyes for a fortnight... It was over 20 years later that my brother confessed that I had lain unconscious while they wondered what to tell my mother.

Years later I keeled over in the shower and woke up in bed the next day in a very confused state. That was the result of a brain aneurysm, which fortunately was diagnosed before it killed me.
    (Or maybe it was caused by a smack with a cricket bat, who knows..)

12. CarterK

CarterK Tele-Meister

February 7, 1992. Freshman year in college. Leaving the DMV, after getting plates for my friend's new Hyundai Excel. Four of us in the car, I was in the back seat, driver's side. My buddy pulls out in front of a mid-1970's Buick Electra 225 going about 40 mph. It t-bones the Hyundai. The back door flies open and I fall out of the car. The door swings back closed with my leg still in the car, which skids across four lanes of traffic and jumps the curb on the other side. I hit my head on the curb and wake up as they're loading me into the ambulance. Had a concussion, a knot the size of a baseball on my head, but nothing broken. Back is still not right, and goes out a couple of times a year. Still have a small knot on my head. Hope I don't go bald. Same buddy dies the following year of cancer. He was 20.

13. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I lived on the south side of Chicago for a number of years. I grew increasingly confident about walking around at all hours, going back and forth to the studio I was working in. Waking down the street at 3:00 AM I see two guys walking toward me on the sidewalk. As they got closer, they suddenly split apart, with me heading down the middle. Bam! I now know the expression seeing stars. They grabbed hold of me and I knew I wasn't going to hang around to see what they would do. Still dazed, I fought my way out their grip and split, but fast. Very, very fast.

After reporting this to the cops, they contacted me a couple of weeks later and brought me and a couple of other people who were attacked by the same guys, they thought. One of the other guys was hit in the head with a small, wooden baseball bat. I never knew what hit me, but if it was a bat, I'm awful lucky to still be around. None of us IDed the guys in the line-up.

14. Quarterpounder

Quarterpounder Tele-Meister

1. Somehow rolled a go-kart, woke up and saw the go-kart 200 yards away. I thought I must have fallen out, but the go-kart was all banged and bent on top. My friends were there, but looking the other direction when it happened. A complete mystery.

2. On a bike this time. What do you get when you mix a bike, coaxial cable and a ramp? A flattened bloody face. We tied the cable to the bike and set the small ramp up to jump into the street. The guys would pull the cable to violently jettison me from the sidewalk to the ramp. My front tire when side ways at the top of the ramp so all the energy pulled me straight down on my face. Woke up 15 minutes later in my house with people all around me. I broke my metal rimmed glasses in half over my nose. I still have the scar 28 years later.

3. My friend threw a zinger(like a twinkie) all the way across the cafeteria. Well, the kid he hit in the head thought I did it. I never saw the punch coming. He hit me 3 times. I woke up in a big pool of blood and a big kid crying. I was very confused. Apparently the kid realized it wasn't me and started crying. I remember distinctly when he said he was sorry I said "forget you" because the vice principle was right there and I couldn't say what I really wanted to. He was a straight A student and had never been in trouble. He got a 3 day suspension.

15. TeleDrifter

TeleDrifter Tele-Afflicted

Versed & Demerol knocked me out....

16. alcrpntr

alcrpntr Tele-Meister

Once learning I was not the boxer I hoped to be, and another learning there are certain things you don't say to a Houston cop. Learning is hard.

17. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I walked into a steel beam at work about 15 years ago - actually heard the bang. I was the boss so I had to be cross with me for not wearing a safety hat.

18. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

I have had my bell rung pretty good a couple of times, but never out cold.

One time I had a co-worker whack me (accidentally) in the noggin with an oak pallet as he was tossing it in a pile. Hurt very much, and I saw a few stars, as they say.
    Another time I got sucker punched in high school, for no reason I was aware of. The guy nailed me a good one right in the eye, and I felt light headed for a couple minutes. A freind said I punched the guy back, but I don't remember much about it. Maybe I was knocked out, but still standing and punching?

19. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Around age 12 I was cracked over the head with a rotten log. The person was twice my size and the log broke into pieces when it hit me. I was out knocked cold. It was a dang good thing the log he grabbed was rotten, or I'd have likely been killed.

Basically, it was a huge bully kid, a couple years older that had bragging to the younger kids that the girls in the junior high where he went, would swoon and practically throw themselves at him when ever he walked by. And that the other boys and even the teachers and principal were all afraid of him and treated him as if he ran the school.

I made the mistake of asking his friends if it was all true, to which he became a major laughing stock. Weeeelllll, he got his revenge by finding me playing in the woods with some friends, and WACK! I remember a few minutes later a couple of the boys I was with helping me into the house, and getting ice. The rest is fuzzy.

20. LarsOS

LarsOS Tele-Holic

Almost got killed by a drunk driving bonehead almost a decade ago. Woke up wondering why the windscreen wipers were on. I found it peculiar because the windscreen was dry. I could hear them rasping. Then I wondered why the windscreen was broken; that was even stranger. I smelled the smoke from the airbag, and noticed the limp bag hanging from the steering wheel. Emergency light blinking, and there was blood on my right hand. My glasses were missing. I found them later in the passenger side door pocket, not quite the shape they used to be but then again neither was the car.

I was so full of adrenaline (shock, said the doc) that I didn't feel any pain until the next day. Then my back stopped working. Luckily, after a month or two I had recovered 99,9% of my health, though the last little piece of glass came out of my finger on its own just half a year ago. At least I hope that was the last one.

Anyway, it was good to know that the drunk driving idiot wouldn't be driving anything motorized for some years to come. Unfortunately for him, driving trucks and buses was his job. But no sympathy from me, he almost killed me. Yeah, and he totalled his fancy new two-door Mercedes sports car thing, for which he btw had neglected to pay insurance. I have to admit that bit almost makes me feel good, okay so I'm evil.

I always use a seat belt, and drove a somewhat safe car (a Golf with airbags), kept the speed limit, and reacted somewhat quickly when I saw him coming sideways through the curve. I'm pretty sure that saved my life. Funny that, btw, how time seem to slow down in such situations, it's like you percieve every little detail in a mile's radius. First I saw the car skidding toward me, he was coming in fast, maybe 80-90 mph or even more. It looked like he was going to cross the road directly in front of me and disappear into the shrubs. I assumed that the car was full of young brats, the driver showing off to his passengers. Not too unusual in the country side. I started to slow down a bit (I didn't want to lose so much speed that I couldn't steer), and he seemed to regain control over the car. For a moment it looked like he was going back to his own lane, missing me by a meter or two.

I remember thinking "that'll be a story to tell when I get home ... stupid kids". Then he got into a counter-skid and the next thing I know, I'm wondering about my windscreen wipers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.