Ever been buzzed by a Fighter Jet?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Sep 1, 2019.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I was driving down I-29 in Iowa Friday and heard a loud plane coming toward me from my right. I was wondering what the hell was going to happen. As it passed overhead I saw that it was a Fighter Jet. It looked awesome and was very low. Probably only a couple of hundred feet above the ground if that much. I don't know what the nomenclature of the current Fighter Jets are but it looked like one of those Top Gun jets.

I had flashbacks to watching Top Gun.

It was out of sight in a matter of seconds but I looked over and there was another one going at an angle to the south. I thought maybe there was a national emergency so I tuned in the radio but nothing.

I thought it was odd that they'd be doing that over civilian territory. Anyone else experienced something like this. In all the time I spent on military bases I'd never had this happen. I saw one of those "radar invisible" planes once on Fort Huachuca but nothing like this.

idjster likes this.
  2. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

How else is a fighter pilot going to practice other than picking a ground target and swinging in real low over it??
    My wife and I were sitting on a clifftop on the Hebridean island of Ulva many years ago and were buzzed by an RAF fighter there: maybe a Tornado, I don’t recall.
    The RAF pilots from Lossiemouth (NE Scotland) were at one time infamous for buzzing the local buses, because being yellow they were an easy target to pick out. When the bus company complained they switch to buzzing British Telecom vans, which were also painted yellow at the time. An engineer I worked with once told me he endured many car-rattling buzzings while he was working for BT one summer.

Flaneur likes this.
  3. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You were the bandit. Target eliminated. War game successful

bgmacaw and richiek65 like this.
  4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

When my uncle put a new metal roof on his ranch house the fighters from Laughflin AFB used it as a site for practice strafing runs.

RyCo1983 and Flaneur like this.
  5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. We are in a main training area where I live here. Ruined many a recording session.

The RAF do low level, radar avoidance flying in the valleys here and will repeat practice attack runs on motorways, railways and various junctions. They are usually flying in their pairs. The bridge here and vehicles on it are a popular ‘target’. Mainly eurofighters these days but we see all the Hawk and Tucano trainers most days. In the past they even took Vulcan bombers through the tight valleys. Hercules and Chinooks are impressive at treetop height and we even saw some twin rotor US Ospreys recently.

I did get a close buzz climbing a skyline ridge here once. I saw the approaching pilot make a number of adjustments to pass really close - around 100 feet to my side. I am petty sure it was deliberate as I got a flash of him looking at me as he passed and he waved his wings as I waved at him approaching.

We asked the RAF to do a low flypast at my local school and they came in and ‘photobombed’ the school... the pilot did two low passes. We got the pictures they took. They were really really low.

Matt G, AAT65, Flaneur and 1 other person like this.
  6. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I can beat that. I once buzzed a highway flying second stick in a 2 seat P-51 Mustang built during the last stages of WWII.

Matt G, skunqesh, aerhed and 4 others like this.
  7. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I know they gotta do it but isn't there a danger of hitting a civilian aircraft?

Around here they use prop planes to spray grain fields and there's also helicopters that take accident victims to the local hospital.

8. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Pretty cool if I was...

9. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

You need to put a sticker on your car door and edit your story.
    “ I engaged a fighter in a training exercise and won” 09A9CB0C-E026-4CE2-A9EC-DE6AE812413F.jpeg

tintag27 likes this.
  10. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

My town is regularly used for attack simulations by the OR Air Guard F-15's. From my living room, I can see the impromptu airshow, which sometimes includes low knife edge rolls just off the beach. Sometimes it is cloudy (Oregon coast, who knew?lol) and we can only hear them. It is also not uncommon for sonic booms to occur offshore, & on a clear day we often are able to watch inflight refueling taking place off Tillamook Head.

tintag27 and hdvades like this.
  11. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

My childhood home was next to Stewart AFB in NY ... We could see the control tower from our backyard ... Multiple sonic booms were common ... Louder than thunder ... Somebody must have complained because they stopped ... I saw every USAF plane there was ... Lots of props since it was the '60s ...

Matt G and hdvades like this.
  12. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Air Traffic Controllers are supposed to know what is going on. They can tell pilots to stay out of certain areas. Actually, pilots are supposed to know if anything special is expected to be going on - before they fly.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOTAM

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Back in the 80s was contracting on IT systems and got a job operating in offices of an RAF base in Oxfordshire for 6 months.

They used to fly the Typhoons from there and the pilots used to practice swoops and low dives over the old WWII barracks where the offices were and I can only describe my first experiences if this as utterly terrifying. Got used to it and I used to love being on the base and seeing all the planes and drills. Cool.

14. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Years ago I took my dogs and kids over hills overlooking our Norfolk village some A10 Thunderbolts flew over the crest of the hill .My kids waved as they went over,they must have flt they could leap up and touch them they were so low and the dog chased it down the hill..The pilots must have seen it and waggled their wings when clear of the crest .We had some B2 's over Norwich last week .I heard them but didnt look up ...doh
    We have also had a Liberator, a Lanc ,some Spitfires ,plus two ultra low flying RAF Tyhoons when they came into service for our village fete.The USAF are regular flyers over the Yare Valley on sunny days .

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Matt G likes this.
  15. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

Whenever the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels come to Tucson I get treated to some treetop-level passes over my house. Used to be they'd buzz the whole town for a few days before the show for both practice and advertising. Not so much in recent years though...after a couple "accidental" sonic booms at low altitude they're more subdued these days. Pity.

16. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Meister

i live outside by a few miles of an air force base.. I got this one day sitting on my porch watchin the air show that comes every year..

dogs barking ever heard them? the planes when they turn hard it sound like dogs barking

its awesome stuff. they come so close i can see the little men in the cockpits.

17. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

I live surrounded by four military air bases including one where Navy pilots learn to land or "trap" on aircraft carriers. You always want to look up when you hear noise because you never know what will be passing.

I grew up on ridge over from a USAFR fighter base. They used to vibrate our china cabinets with sonic booms in the '60s. We ended up having to take the glass doors off the cabinets. The sound of freedom.

The coolest thing I've been buzzed by is a B-17. It was at a rough point in my life and I needed a lift. I was at an airshow one Sunday and climbed through B-17 Fuddy Duddy (44-83563). The next morning as I walked across the parking lot to work I heard a low growl on the southern horizon. I turned and she passed right over my head at about 150 feet as she climbed out of a little general aviation airport nearby. Churned my guts. What a thrill! Looked like this:

[​IMG]

This particular plane was flown over to England in the 1960s to participate in the filming of the Steve McQueen movie, The War Lover, as described in Martin Caidin's book, Everything But the Flak, which I read as a boy. It was also used in the filming of Tora, Tora, Tora! It wears the livery of a plane from the 477th bomb group of the Eighth Air Force in Europe.

Bob

drf64, tintag27, cj11l and 1 other person like this.
  18. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Driving through the Lakes district in England, a Hawk 100 came over our open sunroof at treetop height. A few hours later a Jaguar fighter-bomber screamed over our picnic spot at Grassmere at 500-600 knots on TFR I think. The first was the demo run for the second I think.

On the Isle of Mull one of the Red Arrows was doing loops over Tobermory - yacht squadron in town, someone's friend on impromptu flypast.

19. aux8

aux8 Tele-Meister

I was holidaying with my young family in Fort Augustus at the end of Loch Ness, Scotland a few years ago when an RAF fighter jet made a low pass over us.

I'd been buzzed a few times over the years in the Scottish highlands, so I knew what it was.

But my children were unprepared. I'll never forget how they came running to me in sheer naked terror not knowing what made the noise but certain it was catastrophic.

Imagine how it must be to be a target.

Matt G likes this.
  20. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Thanks for you participation in Jade Helm. ;):)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.