Ever been burned or scammed? Do tell.. here's mine.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Danb541, Mar 4, 2021.

1. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Decades ago my mom's beautiful German Shepard died. So that Christmas I bought her a German Shepard pup off a local ad. Supposedly pure bred but unregistered.... it was a weird looking place.
    That dog grew up to be a real mongrel looking thing. Looked like part Lab and something else!

Danb541 likes this.
  2. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Not scammed so much as burned. By a relative. A couple down on their luck. We gave them a place to stay, to get back on their feet. I loaned him money to get an apartment. And then all of a sudden, a screaming email argument, threats. Haven't spoken to them in years, likely never will. And I'll never see my money.

Doing the right thing can sometimes be a very losing proposition.

Danb541 likes this.
  3. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I put my acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and amp for sale on consignment at a well-known guitar store on Denmark Street in London, because I was moving back to the US. They sold all three shortly thereafter and pocketed all the money. Never saw any of it.

4. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Maybe at first? I bought a used Saturnworks box and it didn’t seem to work. I told him about it but wasn’t gonna bother returning it. He asked me if I wanted a refund and I told him it wasn’t a big deal. Well he gave me one anyway so to return the favor I bought a Korg Delay he had for the asking price. We both made out because that Korg is FUNKY. I love it. So I thought I was getting scammed at first but ended up working for both of us.

tomkatf likes this.
  5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Spent a week repainting, shampooing carpets, and cleaning an apartment I was moving out of so I was guaranteed to get back my security deposit. It was spotless. Landlords lived a couple hundred miles away and hadn't come to the unit once since I moved in. The day I finished moving out a cleaning crew showed up to clean the place, and it just happened to cost the exact amount of my deposit, so I didn't get anything back. Contacted an attorney and he said it was totally legal for the landlord to do this.

darkwaters likes this.
  6. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

I had a close call on New Years Day. I listed an antique tricycle on eBay and it sold right away. The buyer didn't even negotiate a "Best Offer" price, and paid immediately. I was a little suspicious, because the buyer had (0) feedback, and had joined eBay on 1/1/21, that day. I sent them an email asking a few simple questions about shipping it and never got a reply, so I canceled the sale. Anyone know how this one works?

I've been buying and selling on eBay for 20 years with over 900 positive feedback, and never seen this one before.

7. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I had a 30 second online ad come up the other day. Some Asian company I think....and it was X-ray glasses. The ad was looking through them at some guy's trouser-clad leg...and you could see his leg, even the skin.
    I wasn't convinced, but it did make me remember the old comic book ad.

8. Honga Man

Honga Man Tele-Afflicted

Not (much of) a scam, but this talk of ordering things from comic books reminded me of the Switch-Comb I ordered when I was a kid in the 1970s. It was like a switchblade knife, except a comb popped out instead of a blade. And naturally, it was very flimsy when it arrived.

I guess I wanted to look tough and well-groomed at the same time.

[​IMG]

9. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Still got mine in the original box. I don't remember where I bought it, but it was cheap... and it still works!

10. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

I get those calls!
    They have sworn out a warrant for me!
    It's the IRS or Social Security or Amazon or...I dunno!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You'd think they'd have a better sense of identity than just being "we" all of the time. One guy used to call me, and I could in my minds eye see him. He looked like a third rate detective from a 50s movie. Dirty white shirt rolled up to the elbows, a belt and suspenders 'cause he doesn't even trust his own pants. Wearing a fedora while chewing on a dead cigar, he would always say "I'm gonna track you down no matter what it takes." I'd say, I'll be waiting.

Danb541 likes this.
  12. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Good dog though?

hotcoffeenochill likes this.
  13. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My favorite is the recording that claims to be the IRS, and then says "the local cops are on their way to arrest you right now".

Because the gubment would of course give you a heads up that the fuzz is on the way before they get there.

Teleguy61 likes this.
  14. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

It's hard not to get burned. We are living in a period where honesty, integrity, your word of honor doesn't mean anything anymore. My best advice is buyer beware and if something seems too good to be true, it usually is. It's a sewer pipe society.

darkwaters likes this.
  15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It was a bit skittish really. I think the seller was weird. I was young, didn't really assess things well.

16. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Really?! Awesome!! Listen, you gotta tell us, what does women's underwear look like?!!!

17. Dog Bite

Dog Bite Tele-Meister

Lol, I seem to remember I told the girl down the block I could see thru her clothes with them on and she ran in her house crying. Her mother didn't think it was funny either.

18. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

PayPal has put my account on hold. Please send all your personal information to get the hold removed.

Teleguy61 likes this.
  19. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Last week my social security number was stolen or something along those lines. I hung up before they finished.

20. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

First (and last) time I bought a guitar online. This was 20 years ago and Ebay had just started. But I didn't buy the guitar off Ebay. Instead, it was an upstart musical instrument auction website for Canadians. Their return policy looked good and there was a nice 1938 Epiphone Triumph on the site that I won at $1500. When I got the guitar the top had three MASSIVE cracks in the top. They ran from the bottom edge of the guitar to about 7/8 of the way to the top of the body. "Too bad" I thought and packed the guitar back up and notified the auction site the guitar was not in the "Excellent" condition as described. They asked if it was packed well (yes) and if it was damaged in shipping (no). They then refused to honour their return policy saying the guitar was as described. After a few more emails, it became apparent the guitar had belonged to a friend and they sold it for him with full knowledge of the cracks. The seller and the auction site were in cahoots.

I went to a lawyer who informed me that if I were to sue I would definitely win, but the cost of the suit would likely be more than the guitar is worth. The very nice lawyer charged me $0 for this advice (how rare is that?!). I ended up getting it fixed by an excellent (and expensive) luthier who also did a few other things to it. Ended up costing me $800.

The guitar is now one of my favourites, so I don't know if this counts as getting ripped off, but I was extremely angry when it happened.

Danb541 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.