Eventide Timefactor

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by thefruitfarmer, Jul 14, 2019.

1. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer Tele-Meister

Anyone using one?

I reckon it is up there with Strymon Timeline, Boss DD-500 etc

I know it is an old pedal now but I prefer the sound and the operating system and display too.

Paul in Colorado and 24 track like this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have the H9 Max with all Time factor algorhythms very cool toy for sure!

Tens Rev No Hold (Full Heel - Aux Min)-1.PNG

H9_Algorithms_page.jpg

11 algorhythms with upto 20-25 settings each

3. thefruitfarmer

Ha!

I was thinking that is the way to do it once you know you like the sound of the time factor and can do without the knobs.

The H9 Core is coming in at the same price as the Time factor :

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/eventide/pedals/

24 track likes this.
  4. 24 track

If you have an H9 Max and an H9 core the core will have access to all of the max's algorhythms you can do this with one max and upto 4 cores ( too cool)

the sounds are totally outstanding and ultra high quality, I use a 10" Ipad as my controller

the max has 99 algorhythms and each one has about 20 settings ,it contains all the patches for time factor, mod factor , pitchfactor, space and H9

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    thefruitfarmer likes this.
  5. thefruitfarmer

That has got to be the most cost effective way to get all those effects, the issue I have is with the operating system. I am looking for something that does not require an app to make it work. It helps my creativity if I am moving knobs and faders I can touch, rather than using a mouse or trackball.

6. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Currently, I use the DD500, but I preferred the Timefactor over the Timeline. The Eventide is loaded with classic sounds and future effects. It is a tremendous unit.

24 track and thefruitfarmer like this.
  7. thefruitfarmer

I think you are right about the Eventide sounds. I have only listened on youtube but the quality is something else. Time Factor sounds hi-fi and oozes quality without sounding over produced, which is what the Timeline sounds like to me. There is also an element of familiararity with Eventide sounds, like Lexicon reverbs these algorhythms have been heard on hit records going back decades now so they are probably deeply embedded into our collective unconscious...

To me, Strymon Delays tend to sound too slick, over produced, like the echo machine has been recorded, EQ'd and compressed to perfection. I want to get the impression of an echo going out of control and I don't think the Strymon can do that, it's too polite. Boss RE-20 Space Echo seems to capture more of the character of an actual tape echo than the El Capistan.

24 track likes this.
  8. thefruitfarmer

After a while of listening to youtube vids of the DD-500 all I could hear was the signature sound of it, all the different effects started to sound too similar. However, this vid shows the DD-500 getting very close to the sound of the Time Factor. At the 11:50 mark it compares the filters between the two units, which sound different to me, but up to that point it is hard to tell them apart.

I have heard a few comments from people who prefer the Boss DD 500 to the Timeline, usually for the big screen and a preference for the sound too.

artdecade and 24 track like this.
  9. 24 track

the H9 operates the same with or with out the H9 control editor , I have editors for the Kaospad 3's/Kaossillator pro, GR55 guitar synth , Korg M50 all loaded on my Ipad and Macbook pro, but the bluetooth feature is reall convenient .plus the controler pedal adds some real time feel to it, but I know where you are comming from I havent tried using a midi controller ( I have lots) for real time controll but I may have to explore that one. thanks for the Idea !

I recently got a Retro Kits RK 2000 programable midi cable ( yes programableand its directional, LOL ) that allows me to access all of the synth sounds on the Korg Kaossillator Pro and use a midi controller key board to play the sounds

as you can see i am hands on as well!

P1011994.JPG P1012144.JPG

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Lawdawg and thefruitfarmer like this.
  10. 24 track

interesting comparisson!

thefruitfarmer likes this.
  11. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Yes via the H9 -- you can see it behind my tele in my avatar. The Timefactor delays sound fantastic, and all the delay algorithms are useful and super flexible. The H9 currently handles all my delay needs.

In a perfect world the H9 would come with a soft knob controller but I suspect that this would significantly add to the cost. While I am old school in preferring hardware controls on my guitar pedals, the H9 control app is very user friendly. FWIW you do not have to use the app to use the H9, all functions can be accessed using the pedal controls itself, although using the app is certainly easier.

12. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

I would never notice the difference in a mix or live, but isolated head-to-head the Timefactor did sound better to me than the DD500.

thefruitfarmer and 24 track like this.
  13. thefruitfarmer

It would also make the pedal a lot larger. I suppose you could route the controls to a MIDI controller?

I reckon the thing with the H9 is that you can program in effects to recall live so you want something smaller and with foolproof controls.

The software does look really easy, probably designed years ago for people already familiar with hardware

What would be useful is having the software on a laptop at desk level with the pedal remaining on a floor board.

That's the way I am hearing it, if you really listen carefully then the Time Factor does have a clearer and richer sound to it. Don't get me wrong, it is a "guitarists' difference" and in a mix or live I reckon either would be able to achieve the same effect.

I still like the way Time Factor works though. It looks very obvious as to what it does and my ear is drawn to the sound. It does sound digital but a classy digital sound and the filters take the echos somewhere else. I like the dot matrix display and I would also use it as a rack effect as well as for guitar. I think it is something I could get results with very quickly and I don't want another software screen in the home studio when I can just have a small box with obvious knobs.

At this stage of the conversation it gets to the minor differences between a three button delay pedal with presets...... how easy it is for the user to make it do what they want? which one sounds subtley better and would work in a mix?

What else do you need to buy with it? I am expecting to get an extra switch and expression pedal to get the full utility out of the thing, which will all take up space on a pedalboard.

14. thefruitfarmer

Now I have realised the Eventide has a few issues with it's operating system...it won't maintain a tap tempo when you change presets and it is a bit of a hassle to bank up and bank down.

If I was wanting to drop more cash I would be going for the H9 and an ipad...

What I am looking for is something that I can program in sounds easily and then have a series of named presets I can call up. Good enough to use in the home studio and easy to call up presets when jamming.

Looks like the Boss DD-500 ticks all the boxes, especially after watching this vid

Now the operating system is updated it can do dual effects. I reckon it does not sound quite as slick as the Eventide but with tweaking and processing I am sure I can get something good in recordings. Also, it is much more flexible live than the time factor. The software looks ok too.

15. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

How many effects can you run simultaneously?

24 track and thefruitfarmer like this.
  16. 24 track

initially one but some of the algorhythms allow you to combine different effects and edit each one, you can even program and record the order of the effects for a live performance situation ,and step through them at will,
    if you have 2 units I believe you can use 2 complete sets of algorhythms at once

17. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

So with one pedal how many individual effects can you run at once?
    Like one reverb or echo, or can you stack them?

24 track likes this.
  18. 24 track

the algorhythms are usually built out of multiple effects
    but to precisely answer the question , only one effect at a time ,
    but there are settings that allow you to route the multiple effects to create your own settings and save and rename the changes.

like shimmer is comprised of reverb and delay,you can alter and modify the perammeters of each effect and save the changes creating your own patches

Orville and Tuneup like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.