Evanescence?

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
I don't know. Stumbled into this version on Youtomb and I was thinking in my memory that this was a 90's band. But I guess they surfaced a little later.

Too goth to be metal? Too metal to be goth?

I also remember really liking this song and kind of relating to "the nothing I've become..." Ups and downs, you know?

I also watched the "official" video and then remembered I just didn't get the ending. But also, probably helped sell the records. They did sell a few. I like this live version better. Was also unaware of how many lineup/personnel changes happened. We want to think life is short, but sometimes it's a lot longer than the shelf life of any given band.

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
I have some slightly left of centre history with that song, and also this one

Considering all the autotune around at the time i was at least happy listen to them

Last edited:

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
They're sorta like Garbage...but I prefer Garbage because they're edgier, and vocalist Shirley Manson seems like the sort of woman that might kill you while you sleep.
That kinda changes the subject…why are you attracted to women who might kill you while you sleep, @Peegoo ?:eek::lol:

I think Evanescence had some good tunes, but the epic overwrought theatrical nature of every song got tiring pretty quickly and I could only listen to two or three songs in a row.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
I have always considered them to be nu metal which was very popular at the beggining of the 2000's with the elements of goth for sure.
As always, it is hard to label... and in reality the music itself is the most important thing, not labels.
But they were a good band. I didn't really listen to them, but they made good stuff.
vocalist Shirley Manson seems like the sort of woman that might kill you while you sleep
Oh absolutely. She fierce ;)

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I liked the first album, and I remember liking most of the second album as well, although I haven't listened to it in a while. At some point they got a lot more poppy and I stopped listening to them. I haven't heard what they put out more recently.

Most people do not consider them to be gothic metal. They were not nu metal, those choruses were added because someone at the record company thought they should.

I listened to the early demos too, not recently. I do remember some gothic songs, but they weren't metal then.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gothic metal is a genre, maybe since the late 80s but really got off in the 90s. A lot of good stuff was put out in the 2000s.

Look it up, but you probably won't get the best stuff with a search because the more popular stuff will be first, and also more symphonic than gothic.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity

I like/liked David Cross’s comedy and he’s dead on accurate about Evanescence. The band was developed by a label. Haven’t had the opportunity to enjoy more of Cross lately (kind of hard in the no-live-performance-world) but I sort of remember him coming up at the same time as Jeanane Garofolo, whose work I also enjoyed.

The one song I linked above always felt like a guilty pleasure, hence the question mark in the thread title.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
They're sorta like Garbage...but I prefer Garbage because they're edgier, and vocalist Shirley Manson seems like the sort of woman that might kill you while you sleep.

For sure. Garbage was one of my son's favorites. Definitely a more real band as well - Butch Vig, right? that guy has done some stuff!

Sort of interesting in that Garbage was also semi-manufactured, in that they scouted for a woman vocalist and it turned into the Hunt for Red October...(bad pun, sorry, not sorry).

Manson was certainly a more interesting performer, lyrics, all other elements etc, as was the whole band for that matter. In the early vids, I wondered who was playing bass, as both Marker and Erikson would be playing guitars - ah, the early days of MTVish music vids, and yet who would care, as most eyes were locked on Manson.

...and while this technically is thread drift (like anyone cares) here's a live vid of Garbage and you can see Mr. Vig doing some justice to the kit, whilst Manson, fully cognizant of the casual irony of the song title at the start, leans in and kicks the song's butt:

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Costumes IDK but musically I thought they sounded similar to Linkin Park.
Never associated them with Metal, more the mixing of styles that offered refreshing change but never took hold well enough to carry Rock very far.
I like them well enough, not paying though.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I like/liked David Cross’s comedy and he’s dead on accurate about Evanescence. The band was developed by a label. Haven’t had the opportunity to enjoy more of Cross lately (kind of hard in the no-live-performance-world) but I sort of remember him coming up at the same time as Jeanane Garofolo, whose work I also enjoyed.

The one song I linked above always felt like a guilty pleasure, hence the question mark in the thread title.
Like Hesh says in the Sopranos... "a hit is a hit." I didn't like em, but that hook on their big number was undeniable, slicked-up corpo-metal or no. I surely liked (and bought) plenty of bad numetal in the 90s. Anyway there's a whole genre that still exists and looks/sounds a whole lot like Evanescence, so who the bleep am I or David with our music snobdom :)

Still a pretty great bit. The Creed guy story is also pretty funny. Cross annoyed me the last few years and I can't remember why, but in this era he was at the top of his standup game imo, one of my faves. 2003-2006 or so?