1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Eurotubes' New "Pro One" Bias Probe

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by mabinogeon, Dec 4, 2020.

1. mabinogeon

mabinogeon Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Eurotubes has their new-and-improved Pro One bias probe in stock. Mine arrived in the mail yesterday and I put it to use immediately.

The new one has an optional "watts feature" which: "is available as an upgrade from the base Pro One model. This add-on reconfigures the Plate Voltage display so that it alternates automatically between displaying Plate Voltage and real time calculated Plate Dissipation. This along with the quick lookup chart included in the instruction sheet provides a "math-free" path to getting the bias set on your amp in a safe range."

It took all of fifteen minutes to check and set the bias on my PRRI and my '67 Deluxe Reverb, and that included removing and reinstalling the back panels on the amps. This is the first time I've ever checked or set the bias on an amp (every amp I've built thus far has been cathode-biased). I'm sure the pros would consider this cheating... upload_2020-12-4_19-36-9.gif But for a hobbyist like me who does this a few times a year maybe, I think it's a pretty neat tool.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  2. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

It's not cheating if there are no rules against it!

Wally and mabinogeon like this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That looks like a good tool to me.

muscmp and mabinogeon like this.
  4. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

Interestingly, Uncle Doug JUST released a video in which he tests the onset of clipping on the scope at the various bias percentages. If I watched it correctly, and if "breakup" is synonymous with "clipping," he discovered that what he had assumed (& what's written on the chart) about the correlation of "head room" & bias is backwards: clipping occurs earlier at the lower bias settings.

muscmp likes this.
  5. mabinogeon

mabinogeon Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  6. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I’ve got the previous version. Works great for me so I probably won’t upgrade, but the new one looks great!

mabinogeon likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.