Euro 2020

Doomguy

Tele-Meister
Weird and wacky tournament this time around but I'm all here for it. Have loved watching the crazy games (Spain/Croatia was so good) and seeing some of the traditional powers fall early. Not rooting for anyone in particular, I'm a USMNT fan anyway. I can only hope that the tournament continues to be this exciting.

OldPup

Tele-Holic
Sorry in advance to all of the Italians on this site, but I'd prefer anyone but their national team win. I don't think I'll ever forgive their national team for their treatment of Zidane in his final match. That team will forever be heels in my book.

Italy and its people have so very many redeeming qualities though!

Hibernian

TDPRI Member
It's been an excellent tournament so far and it could go down to luck on the final day. England have done well, thought the plan against Germany was sensible despite all the moaning before hand about Southgate picking a defensive formation in reaction to the Germans -- it was a game plan for 90+ mins involving tactical subs at key moments that worked. Will England make the final? They have the easier side of the draw and should have too much for Ukraine in the quarters, but then a team that has nothing to lose, as Shevchenko has described them, will always be dangerous in a one-off. If they get through that, it's likely they'd be favorites in the semi against either the Czechs or the Danish while Spain/Italy/Belgium, any one of which would be a real challenge, fight it out amongst themselves (am I disregarding the Swiss too easily?). But if we've learned anything over the years, cup games can provide lots of surprises. I picked Italy at the start based on form and have not seen much to change my mind on this but let's see how they handle a brilliant Belgian team. Either way, it's been great entertainment.

BobTheOwl

Tele-Meister
sorry mate, but england won't beat italy, spain or belgium, one of whom will make the final.
and this 'football's coming home' is a nonsense. england no more 'owns' football than it does my arse. you may consider it a gift to the world and it would be rude and boorish to want it back.
what is great about this tournament is the standard of refereeing and the light touch VAR. the EPL has much to learn from these games.

It’s coming home isn’t a claim on ownership of football, it’s just a fun lyric from a 25 year old song. Based on the fact the original rules, and the oldest club in the world are from England

google it, have a listen you may even enjoy it.;)

You’re absolutely correct about the refereeing and VAR.

As for England winning, who knows? Italy/Spain/Belgium will all be tough to beat, as would Switzerland, there’s also a banana skin of a game against Ukraine.

Grandy

Tele-Holic
Has there ever been more drama in sports than the last couple of days? A good reminder that it's never over 'till it's over. Compared to the other matches England-Germany was boring.;)

Jowes_84

Tele-Meister
yes it was a "boring" match and a downer - even if I have neither of the two - feelings about Germany nor about football (soccer)
France - Switzerland was entertaining, Spain - Croatia, my simple mind likes those matches a lot better

Hibernian

TDPRI Member
Maybe everyone can stop harping on about 1966 now.

Never happen...it's too iconic a memory, replete with dubious goal, 'they think it's all over' crowd madness, and the only time England won the WC. Until that happens again, 66 will always be a rallying-cry.

MisterZ

Tele-Afflicted
Sorry in advance to all of the Italians on this site, but I'd prefer anyone but their national team win. I don't think I'll ever forgive their national team for their treatment of Zidane in his final match. That team will forever be heels in my book.
Wasn't Zidane the heel, though? (Or should I say the forehead?)

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
3500.jpg

Fendereedo

Poster Extraordinaire
We went out for a meal this evening with my inlaws. All I'm saying is, thank you BBC iplayer. There were 3 people talking amongst themselves, and one person glued to their mobile, can you guess who?
:D