1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Eureka...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Scott M, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Scott M

Scott M Former Member

I found it!

About four years ago, my old Polytone died. I had used it for every jazz, country and rock gig for about ten years. Everyone always laughed when they saw it and shut up when they heard it. It always sounded right for the "style du jour". I paid $175 for it used, and I made an obscene amount of money with it.

I went through one modelling amp (pretty good at everything, but not great at anything), one Ampeg sj-12t reissue (really great tone but absolutely terrible construction - in fact, I finally gave it away with an intermittent problem), three Peavey Classic 30's (Good tone but not enough power for a dark jazz tone that was clean at loud volumes) and one SF Twin Reverb (A great amp that needed a cap job, but way too big and heavy to gig with), and a '64 Gibson Falcon that I have recently had a tech go thru (Even though it is probably the ugliest amp I have ever seen, I am keeping this one).

The other day I happened into one of my two local stores, only to find a used Polytone. Needless to say, it is now mine. I have already played two gigs with it, and I can't believe how good it sounds. In fact, my drummer even said something about the sound last night, and he has never said anything about my sound in ten years. I feel like I have switched to the dark side, but this amp just suits me. Is that so wrong? I almost feel dirty.

Should I seek help?

-Scott

2. spyder

spyder RIP

Ho...the player makes the equipment...not the other way around...if you like the polytone sound, good for you...I respect a guy that knows what works best for 'em and uses it regardless of peer pressure...as I understand it the polytone is renown for its darker tone..a favorite of many jazz guitar enthusiasts....one thing about a dark soundin' amp is it can be brightened up....its a little harder to darken up a naturally bright soundin' amp...later, spyder

3. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

As Spyder says.

I once had an H.H. V.S. Musician 2x12 combo that everyone laughed at, like yours, they soon went quiet when they heard it. That was the only amp I have ever had that made me sound like me, no one else could get a sound out of it the way I could. Sadly, another stolen item never to be replaced.
    I have heard great reports on your amp and indeed, it got a glowing review in the UK Guitarist mag a few months back.

4. Synchro

Synchro Tele-Meister

There was this gentlman by the name of Joe Pass;

and he played Polytones from time to time. They are very popular with jazzers. I was speaking with another jazz player just yesterday and while he loves GA-50s he keeps a Polytone around for convenience.

By the way, I agree completely, the player makes the equipment and not the other way around.

Should you seek help? OF COURSE!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.