Etiquette lesson (I'm sure some of you are guilty)

Charlie Bernstein

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't see anything rude about it. It just means the person doesn't want to go back and forth. Can't blame anyone for that.

If a firm price, I'll just repeat it. If it's not firm, then:

1. If it's a new ad and I'm not in a hurry, I'll say something like, "I just posted it. Ask me again in a few weeks."

2. If the ad's been there long enough that I'm about ready to go down, I'll knock off five or ten percent.

3. If I'm desparate to sell, I might say, "I don't know. What's YOUR best offer?"​

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
If I want to buy something for an amount other than the stated price, I make a specific offer to begin with. If the offer I have in mind is not too far off from the stated price (say $450 instead of $500), I just make my offer and see what happens (because $450 may be the absolute highest I would go, and maybe the $50 doesn't make much difference to the seller, especially if I can meet immediately, pay cash etc.).

If my offer is significantly off of the stated price, I give my reasons. Sales on Reverb for the same item average around what I'm offering, the item has this or that flaw and will need some work, whatever. Maybe the seller set a "wrong" price and "sees reason". Maybe he just pulled a vague number out his head to begin with and sees the sense in what I'm offering. Maybe the item has been listed forever and he's desperate and I just came along at the right time with a decent offer.

Either way, the seller sells for whatever he wants to and it's no use fighting about it. They set whatever price they want and you make your good-faith, educated offer from the get-go. The offer-counteroffer dance can go on as long as both parties like, but once one side puts their foot down you either take it or leave it. There's nothing else to do.

1300 E Valencia

Friend of Leo's
I don't understand the compulsion to answer these low-ball emails.
Where's the law stating you absolutely MUST answer every email or text you receive?
Get an offer you don't like? Delete and move on.
Remember the advice for teaching a pig to sing. It doesn't work, and only the pig finds the effort amusing.

Whatizitman

Poster Extraordinaire
a2704128878_10.jpg

ladave

Tele-Holic
I don't really have a problem with that as it seems like somebody just wants to dispense with the game and be able to decide if you're willing to sell it for what they are willing to buy it for.

I have had quite a few happy transactions on CL with basically no haggling. If somebody asks me that I just tell them the lowest I'm willing to let it go for and they usually buy it. Sure I could haggle and get few more bucks, not worth it to me.

I feel that any transaction should feel like the "right" price for buyer and seller. Not like one person got a steal. To be honest in all of the things I have sold, the buyer is usually the one to get the better deal. But that's kind of how it should be.

matmosphere

Tele-Afflicted
Negotiating prices is a lost art, that people much younger than I am haven’t had many chances to learn. Places like amazon, that always sell at the lowest possible price, force places like guitar shops to sell at that price as well and there is no room to left negotiate.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
With my stuff it goes like this-

Me: For sale, $200.

Them: What’s your best price?

Me: $10,000.

Them: But you listed it for $200.

Me: And that’s a fair price. But $10,000 would be an awesome price! For me. Did you have a price in mind that would work for you?

Them: What the lowest you’re willing to go?

Me: Now it’s $10,000.

That usually gets rid of them.

BobbyMac

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I don't haggle, as a buyer or a seller. If I think your price is reasonable, I will pay it. When I list something for sale, my listed price is as low as I will go, and I make that perfectly clear. There are way too many buyers out there who just feel like they must haggle. Anyone who tries that with me gets the boot.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
That's similar to how I buy cars. I decide the max I'll pay BEFORE I test drive. That way I don't get caught up in the excitement of buying a new (to me) car. I bought a corvette a couple of years back and I decided what I would pay before I test drove it. The salesman tried every trick in the book to get me to pay more, but I wouldn't budge. I finally got it for my price. I just said, "Look, no hard feelings if you can't sell it at that price, but that's all I'm willing to pay."

THEN he lays a $750 "processing fee" on me. I told him no way I was paying that. He let me walk out the door, but called me later to tell me they could waive the fee. I've walked away from cars I really wanted because of that, but I've never paid what I thought was too much for one.
I recently bought a "new to me" 2019 Kia Sportage. I and family members have had excellent service from Kias for over fifteen years. The dealership where I bought it is one of those "no haggle" places, and having done my homework, I felt their price was fair, and I was OK with paying it. Near the end of our discussions (and I had already committed to buying) the "representative" brought up extended warranty offers. I listened politely, and if they had been well priced, I might have taken one.....but they weren't, and I "graciously" declined. He tried to be more persuasive, and I again said "no thanks". He then had to go get his "handler" (manager) and HE tried to gently twist my arm. I remained firm, and was prepared to stand up and walk out, but they "folded". I shook everyone's hands, (this was days before the social separation orders) and drove off in my "new" car. As a rule, I NEVER buy an extended warranty. ;)

teletail

Friend of Leo's
I recently bought a "new to me" 2019 Kia Sportage. I and family members have had excellent service from Kias for over fifteen years. The dealership where I bought it is one of those "no haggle" places, and having done my homework, I felt their price was fair, and I was OK with paying it. Near the end of our discussions (and I had already committed to buying) the "representative" brought up extended warranty offers. I listened politely, and if they had been well priced, I might have taken one.....but they weren't, and I "graciously" declined. He tried to be more persuasive, and I again said "no thanks". He then had to go get his "handler" (manager) and HE tried to gently twist my arm. I remained firm, and was prepared to stand up and walk out, but they "folded". I shook everyone's hands, (this was days before the social separation orders) and drove off in my "new" car. As a rule, I NEVER buy an extended warranty. ;)
I’ve purchased extended warranty three times. Never again. I’ve finally learned my lesson!

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Throw all that out the window if you're dealing with a pawn shop especially a pawn shop in the southwest. Offer 'em 1/2 of asking unless they're still asking too much. Some of those people make their living taking advantage of the disadvantaged. It might add a tiny bit of equilibrium to the universe to bend 'em back.

What is it with pawn shop..?

1. they always have guitars that are so beat, you wonder how that could even happen to a guitar and

2. they always have them marked like 20% over retail price new. It's a crazy thing.

When I oh so rarely see something marked reasonably in a pawn shop, I always wonder what is even happening. It's not just the SW it's the midwest too.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member

When I was touring a lot solo, I bought them. They came in handy a couple times. One I remember in particular was a $1700 van repair that cost me nothing. I remember thinking, because I was really in a bad spot, that even though the extended warranty added $2500 to my loan, and the repair was only $1700, it was worth it. Cause if I’d not had it I’d have been dead in the water. Then a month later I needed another repair that was nearly $1k, and cost me nothing. Again. At that point I was convinced it was the best deal I’d ever made!

I have to admit though, it’s the only warranty I ever paid for that got used.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
When I was touring a lot solo, I bought them. They came in handy a couple times. One I remember in particular was a $1700 van repair that cost me nothing. I remember thinking, because I was really in a bad spot, that even though the extended warranty added $2500 to my loan, and the repair was only $1700, it was worth it. Cause if I’d not had it I’d have been dead in the water. Then a month later I needed another repair that was nearly $1k, and cost me nothing. Again. At that point I was convinced it was the best deal I’d ever made!

I have to admit though, it’s the only warranty I ever paid for that got used.
I understand....it's a gamble, but, like in Vegas, you might win once in a while, but remember the odds are ALWAYS with the house. My last Kia, a 2006 Sedona I bought new, had 166,000 miles on it, and I'd had very little in repairs. I know, I may not be as lucky with the Sportage, but, considering the luck and service my brother has experienced with two Kias, plus my mom's that my daughter now drives, I just feel I didn't need the warranty. That, and now that I'm retired, I won't be driving near what I did before.
Please cross your fingers that I haven't "jinxed" myself.