1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Etiquette lesson (I'm sure some of you are guilty)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Downshift, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Afflicted

In civilized society, when I post something for sale, and make it clear that I am open to offers, it is in poor form for you to contact me and say "what's your best price?"

Make me an offer or pay what I'm asking.

And in the mean time, I guess I'm just stuck with this awesome custom shop guitar. Oh shucks.

2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

You’ll figure it out.

Treehouse and mexicanyella like this.
  3. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Civilized society?

It would annoy me too but it wouldn’t come as a surprise.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

Why would that be ‘poor form’? You’re trying to sell as high as you can, they are (hopefully) interested in buying as low as they can, now you’re negotiating. Why would you take offence at their negotiating tactic? Just stick to what strategy you’ve decided on. If they’re not very good at negotiating then tough luck on them.

5. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I don't know... but saying you're open to offers implies your willing to haggle.

Obsessed and Dismalhead like this.
  6. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well, it's simple, your best price is the price your asking for it......what his best offer is, is his problem. No offer ain't going to get him the deal.

edvard, Jlwctn, Scooter91 and 3 others like this.
  7. Despres

Despres Tele-Afflicted

I have more or less stopped selling things because I get annoyed at dealing with that type of thing.

I remember several years ago I had a motorcycle listed for sale with a (very fair) price stating $X FIRM.

Got the inevitable email:

"Hi, what's best offer"
    Me: "Best offer is a way to sell things where the seller lists a price, with best offer afterwards to indicate that they are willing to entertain an offer lower than their price if a buyer makes one."
    "No, what is your best offer"
    Me: "It is for sale for $X"
    "But how little will you take"
    Me: "$X"
    "You don't have to be an A$$, no wonder the bike has been listed for 2 days and you still have it, you're a so and so!"

I wish I still had that bike...

8. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I don't think it's poor form, but it is dumb. You set a price and indicated that you're willing to talk about it. But if all they come with is "What's your best price?" (i.e. "What's the lowest you'll sell for?"), how exactly do they expect the conversation to go?

"I'm selling for $500, but I'll hear offers."
    "What's your best price?"
    "Oh wow damn you got me go you $200"

9. Despres

Despres Tele-Afflicted

Very true, but saying you are open to offers implies that the potential buyer can make an offer. The seller has already made an offer, the asking price, so therefor it is up to the buyer to make a different offer. If the seller wanted to offer it at a lower price, that would be the asking price...

Jlwctn and nojazzhere like this.
  10. dwh100

dwh100 Tele-Meister

If you’re offended just raise your price and they’ll figure it out right quickly.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    edvard, Bassman8 and suave eddie like this.
  11. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

when it comes to making a deal, I think all tactics are fair.

12. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

Yup, my point exactly! It’s a negotiating tactic but it’s not a good one.

13. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

It's a dance and we all must play the game to make it work.

getbent and brokenbones like this.
  14. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

On the one hand I was very poorly raised. On the other hand I been wheelin' and dealin' since I was a little kid. First I raised enough cash to buy a mini- bike. Later, I traded cars one after another.

I have a protocol for making offers.

Never make an offer unless you're serious about buying and you have the cash to back it up.

Here in New England 2/3 of asking is fair with a likely "street" price of 3/4 of asking.

If I need to offer less than 2/3 of asking to make the numbers work the seller is being unreasonable. I don't like doing business with unreasonable people.

By the same token don't disrespect me by offering less than 2/3 of my price, a price I put quite a bit of thought into.

Throw all that out the window if you're dealing with a pawn shop especially a pawn shop in the southwest. Offer 'em 1/2 of asking unless they're still asking too much. Some of those people make their living taking advantage of the disadvantaged. It might add a tiny bit of equilibrium to the universe to bend 'em back.

Matt G, Cysquatch, Treehouse and 5 others like this.
  15. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Holic

I think that's just asking what the ballpark is, really. I bought a van a few years ago, the bloke said "it's up for £x, make me an offer", so I asked him what sort of offer he wanted and we went from there.

Personally, I prefer to buy things which have a stated price, because then everyone knows where the area for negotiation is. If you just say "offers", I don't know if you want x, y or z.

16. Blue

Blue Tele-Afflicted

You're.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  17. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Greed is a vice not a virtue. Works both ways.

Jlwctn, teletail and nojazzhere like this.
  18. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I always determine the lowest price that I will go on an item I’m selling. And, I always know the buyer is going to negotiate. Therefore, I set my price 10-20% higher, depending on the item. Most of the time I actually sell my items for a bit higher than my lowest price. And, there have been times that I’ve walked away from a sale because of a lower offer than my best price, only to sell it within my terms a few days later. This formula has worked great for me over the years. YMMV.

RetroTeleRod, teletail and AAT65 like this.
  19. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

People that ask this sort of question are generally those that have bought retail all their lives. They're afraid to offer too much as their first shot across the bow.

They: "What's your best price?"

We: "My best price is what this item is worth to you. If I had a best price, you would see it in the ad. This is why I have set an artificially high price and specified 'open to offers'. You make an offer, and we go from there. The price I listed is for the buyer that really wants this particular guitar and is willing to spend some extra money to get it."

Sometimes being a teacher sucks.

richiek65 and tubegeek like this.
  20. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don't know, this thread is kind of new. What will you take for all these comments? Five spot? 10, and I'll read them all! :)

moosie, INFANT, tubegeek and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.