Etiquette about band names

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by kiwi blue, Sep 6, 2019.

1. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

Going back to the 80's and early 90's, there was a local Grateful Dead cover band called Slipknot. When the band broke up, the two founding members sued each other for the rights to the name.

Long story short, when the metal band Slipknot became famous, the guy from the cover band who won the rights to the name sued them and got some money.

radiocaster and RoyalBaby like this.
  2. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Exactly the example I was going to give, I have seen so many bands advertised as Midlife Crisis. I think next most common is Roadhouse Blues Band. Which is probably okay if you come from somewhere they have roadhouses but not for four accountants from Wolverhampton.

Trying to name my first ska band I looked up a lot of pun names and anything I thought of was gone. The Skasouls ( say it out loud), Ska Wars and Skabucks being favourites. So just had to abandon the pun thing in the end.

Sorry, where was I, yes it's tricky and a product/ problem of the internet age. Eighties indie rockers Toad the Wet Sprocket would have had to have a rethink if they'd known about the seventies UK hard rock band of the same name. And the original members of Free clearly never envisioned Google search.

3. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Yep, bandnames like Felt are a pain to search. And as for Courtney Love's Hole...

4. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

My band started in 1982, split in 1990 & reformed in 2013.
    We are called Left For Dead. There are now so many Left For Dead's, it's getting stupid.
    There's a US horror-punk band, US country-rock band, Canadian hardcore band, Japanese thrash metal band, German metal band, another UK based punk band etc. etc.
    We are often mistaken for the other UK band in online listings. Our FB page is Left For Dead UK. And we have to use that name when playing non-local gigs. We are the originals.
    That's it...we should be called The Originals (cue Spinal Tap moment).

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm in "The Colorado Green Band."
    Originally we were "The Green Band."
    Then we found out that in Hawaii there was a reggae band called "The Green Band."
    We became "Paul and Tom's Green Band."
    We found Deb, our drummer and to add her name would be too long.
    The band in Hawaii changed their name to "The Green." They actually did a show here in Colorado.
    We became "The Colorado Green Band" and we're going to carry on with it unless we get sued.

6. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I gotta ask .... Did they blow?

7. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Band in my neck of the woods is called "Ska'd for Life"

RoyalBaby and Jim622 like this.
  8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I’m sure they must do this one really well..

Our band (when we are a band) picked our name based on a 50's SiFi paintings aesthetic. Artist like Virgil Finley and Earle Bergey. They painted for late 40's early 50's SiFi magazines and movie posters. One of these movies was Lost Planet. Only thing we could find at the time was "Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen". All those old posters and covers make for great themed promo fodder. The world is almost out of notes and band names!!

F29926B6-F5FE-460F-AB44-4F645EABB52C.jpeg
    CCD8B551-C5A0-429C-B3AC-29E86D5E3020.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Jim622 likes this.
  9. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

LOL. Also, tons of self published albums out there called "Better Late than Never".

Which makes me think that Maybe Better Never might be a good name. I'm hereby donating that one to the TDPRI community.

10. Paul in Colorado

The name "Phish" always bothered me as I grew up listening to "Country Joe and The Fish." By then Barry "The Fish" Melton was a judge, so I guess he could have sued if there was a problem.

And we had "The Charlatans" in California long before "The Charlatans UK" came along.

4pickupguy likes this.
  11. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

In the 60s and 70s, some of my bands' names were:

Days of Grace
    Lightnin Slim and the Rangers
    The Dog Years
    Bittersweet Jam
    Saturday Miles
    Cowboys and Indians
    Straight Arrow

These were all gigging bands, playing at schools and bars in the PNW.

4pickupguy likes this.
  12. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

There are a few Ska'd For Lifes. Skatoons, Skaface, I nearly joined Skas on 45 ( although you have to remember the terrible Stars on 45 records for that to make sense).

richiek65 likes this.
  13. oceanblue

oceanblue Guest

Makes one also wonder how long must someone wait before they can use the name of a band that USED to be famous? Been 50 years since the Beatles broke up, don't see any bands around with that name! or maybe look at band names from the 30's and 40's?

14. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

I've never been in a real playing-out band and at my age probably never will so I have nothing to lose by throwing this name out there on the web to be plagiarized. If I was to form a band I'd call it "The Local Gentry". I've pondered about band names for many years fantasizing being in a band and this would be the name I'd pick. Now it's a moot point. ;)

I'd still would like see a band named that if it isn't in use already and wouldn't freak out if someone already thought of it. The naming of a band is only limited by your imagination and being original is subjective.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  15. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If they used the name to make any appreciable amount of money. If they were a working band with CDs/merch, it would be easy.
    A buddy of mine got a $6k check from Peter Gabriel who wanted to name an album what my buddy was using for his band name.
    It was a good chunk o' change around 1983.

16. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

I was in a band in the 70's that was called "Fast Food" for a short time. The venues like us but complained about the name being confusing. I agreed, I always though it was stupid. We changed it. :)

17. Paul in Colorado

But would Bobbie Gentry approve?

18. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

This may not be everywhere but locally I often see small venues writing up forthcoming tribute acts as the act themselves ' This Friday: The Beatles' ' Live Music From Amy Winehouse' etc. Last night I drove past a pub that apparently had Queen playing there. I guess you could read this as the ability to resurrect the dead and then persuade them to play in some small venue ( that when they were alive they wouldn't have been seen dead in). Or just shorthand for who the tribute is as the act themselves are seen to have no worth other than as purveyors of a past act.

oceanblue likes this.
  19. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

To the original question, (in my opinion), if I know there's another band out there somewhere with that name, I would not hang that name on my band.
    It would bother me.

It's not a moral thing, nor a question of right and wrong.

It's just that there are so many clever and interesting ways to skin that cat.
    :)

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  20. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If all you do is play shows in your locality, just worry about that.
    A band with the same name a thousand miles away is just that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.